Need tips for MS grooming!?

siewmei
Novice

Dec 28, 2002, 1:27 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2985 views)
Shortcut
Need tips for MS grooming!? Can't Post

Hi Arthur,

Saw you mentioned about 'mink oil spray' in one message. Could I know where I could purchase one for my MS.

Also, what brand of conditioner do you recommend to detangle the furr?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your reply!

arthur
ALPHA

Dec 28, 2002, 6:16 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [siewmei] Need tips for MS grooming!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SiewMei,

The mink oil spray is a Biogroom product which can be obtained from most pet shops. It's good but the down side is that like any oil based product, it can collect / attract dust and may weigh down the coat. They are other brands of coat conditioner / detangler like #1All Systems and Chris Christenson Systems. I accidentally left the CCS Ice on Ice coat conditioner in Singapore so I cannot comment on the effectiveness of this product. If you are in PJ, there is one pet shop that carries the #1 All systems product which is not bad (according to the shop people)

There is a thread in the member intro section on this subject..look for the member ID Beast under "alo from Singapore..." and another member from singapore as well.

Rdgs Arthur

siewmei
Novice

Jan 3, 2003, 3:02 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Arthur, have made my visit to the pet store and get the mink oil. Would also need to trouble you with a few more question Smile, if you don't mind.

1) Any recommendation of a good schnauzer groomer in PJ/KL?

2) Recently I bought another female schnauzer pup, bathed her once since I've brought her home. Only to noticed recently that at her 'stop' - above the nose, there are flaky white things, which looks like human dandruff. Any ideal what's wrong with her, she's only 8 weeks old.

3) Is black and silver coat color a certified breed? As it only stated in some books. Any other tips to maintain the white coat before turning into brown?

4) Could I still bring my pup out as she has not not completed all her 3 japs yet and I intend to bring her to groomer for that 'must-have schnauzer' look. What do you advice?

4) It's true that breeder is keeping all the female pup, thus the price for female schnauzer has hike up?

Thanks Arthur!

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2942 views)
Shortcut

Hi SiewMei!

Happy New Year2003 to you!Smile

Now about your queries...

1) Any recommendation of a good schnauzer groomer in PJ/KL?
Before we started grooming the furkids ourselves, the best groomer we been to is located in PJ SS/2 area. Clue..it's the only petshop that occupies double shoplots. (Can't mention the name here to respect the forum rules).

2) Recently I bought another female schnauzer pup, bathed her once since I've brought her home. Only to noticed recently that at her 'stop' - above the nose, there are flaky white things, which looks like human dandruff. Any ideal what's wrong with her, she's only 8 weeks old.
This is very normal for puppies. These flakes will drop out and go away when the puppy grows older usually by 3-4mths. Just make sure the skin is clear and not too many schnauzer bumps..those little pimple-like bumps.

3) Is black and silver coat color a certified breed? As it only stated in some books. Any other tips to maintain the white coat before turning into brown?
Yes! For mini-schnauzers, 3 coat colours are recongised..Black, Salt and Pepper, Black and Silver. Black is the most dominant followed by Salt and Pepper while Black and Silver is the recessive colour type. The most common colour is the Salt and Peppers, followed by the Black n Silvers and the rare all black. As for maintain the white coat, regular cleaning is best. I am going to try out a new product that promise to repel dirt. Will let you know by end-Jan if it works as advertised.Wink

4) Could I still bring my pup out as she has not not completed all her 3 japs yet and I intend to bring her to groomer for that 'must-have schnauzer' look. What do you advice?
It is best not to bring her out till she has completed her 3 jabs. However, if you must bring her outside, do carry her in your arms and don't let her paws touch the ground. Also, don't let too many people touch or stroke her. This may seems "sombong" but actually you are trying to keep her from coming into contact with possible contaminated spots.

5) It's true that breeder is keeping all the female pup, thus the price for female schnauzer has hike up?

I heard rumours but really cannot confirm anything. Prices for schnauzers have been on the up-trend lately. Used to be around RM1800-2000 but now it's RM2000+. This is for puppies with certs of course. Show quality pups starts from RM3000+.

Hope the above info helps. Smile

Rdgs Arthur

chrYs
Novice

Jan 13, 2003, 6:05 AM

Post #5 of 10 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Need tips for MS grooming!? [In reply to] Can't Post

me KPO KPO a bit. I myself am from Singapore and I too use Ice on Ice. Wink

So far so good. When my Walker ms has tangles, i spritz it on his tangles and rub it in. The whole knot comes out. the fur that's knotted with it. Leaving shorter fur behind.

If you don't want the tangle ball to come off, then use a Greyhound comb to comb lightly. Use the bigger side to brush it a bit, then use the finer side to slowly detangle. very effective.

I like ice for its anti properties. acts as a sunscreen , anti-dirt, coat against staining, and tangling.

I like it so much I even bought a "concentrate" also, so to mix more. But a 16oz last a long way. I use it fully on both my doggies for a few months now, and still not yet finished the bottle :)

Buy it. it's good. Laugh

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 2:44 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrYs] Need tips for MS grooming!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ChrYs,

Glad you joined in and thanks for the feedback on this product.Smile

I've started using this on my furkids and yes, it does help to detangle effectively. I also like it cos' it is not oil based. Having said that, I noticed the odor is not that pleasant. Maybe it's my doggie instead but I will recheck after giving them a bath and reapply again.

Also, how often do you apply it to Walker? Do you spray it on the paws as well?

Rdgs Arthur

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2899 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur, if this is about untaggling those fur ball that's usually stuck on thier armpits.. then i find using those find metal comb is the best solution... keep scraping at the on the same spot, and walla! everything is back to normal!

arthur
ALPHA

Jan 19, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Need tips for MS grooming!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaz,

Oh yes, I know about those tangles in the armpits..Unsure But I found a good solution.. I clipper that area clean! No more problems..Smile Thks for the tip anyway.

Rdgs Arthur

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2003, 4:55 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,

Clipper? won't that hurt?? and leave that spot there bald??

chrYs
Novice

Jan 31, 2003, 5:54 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2872 views)
Shortcut

Hi arthur sorry for late reply. had been away and just got back to sg finally. :)

I didn't smell it. Hmm. Maybe my nose is desensitised. :P

I use it once a week, after his bath. Coz my little one gets into scrapes and what nots, and I have to bathe him. So i coat him with ice whenever he's bathed. Especially the paws I will spray. and rub in between cause I don't want any dirt to stain it when he goes out walking.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my