The cost of adoption at PAWS

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cynhor
Enthusiast

May 13, 2004, 3:23 AM

Post #1 of 45 (4412 views)
Shortcut
The cost of adoption at PAWS Can't Post

I have noticed that several people have complained about the cost of adoption at PAWS. Some adoptions may cost as much as RM200. Please note that the funds collected is used to care for over 450 animals, full time workers, food and medicine. Whatever amount you give to PAWS, you get a receipt which you can include as a tax deductible in your income tax return.

Here are some facts:
Adoption Fees for bringing in an animal OR adopting a pet from PAWS are as follows (from their website):
- Adult Dog: 100RM
- Puppy: 80RM
- Adult Cat: 80RM
- Kitten: 60RM

The amount is slightly more if you adopt a pet that has been fully vaccinated and neutered/spayed. A pure breed may also require more attention; hence consider the manhours that has gone into cleaning/grooming that one long hair animal while the mongrels do without.

If you own a dog or cat, you can work the numbers out yourself, else use this as a general guideline:
- 1st vaccination and 2 subsequent boosters - RM 40 x 3 = RM120
- De-worming – RM 20
- Neutering/Spaying – RM 150 - RM200
- 1 course of antibiotics if the animal is sick – RM 20 (and most dogs and cats come to PAWS with some form of illness)
- 1 grooming session should you have a treasured pooch – RM 40

And just as a FYI, a bottle of medicine for Mange and Fungal Infection cost RM 200. Imagine how many bottles PAWS need when they get strays from MPPJ, MPSJ etc.

Do talk to the people there and establish the facts. The $$$ is not everything.

May
Old Hand

May 13, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #2 of 45 (4385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said!!!!

This is what I haven been trying to convey to those who are interested to adopt a dog from the animal shelters. Please bear in mind that these animal shelters do not receive any funding from the government and they are running based on donation from the public and fund-raising activities.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2004, 3:36 PM

Post #3 of 45 (4284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

OK I concede to some of the complaints I hear on these forums. I was personally involved, so this is what happened.

A stray labrador mix was brought in by MPPJ and placed into the strays pound. 3 weeks later I had it in a poster and placed up for adoption. The dog was recondition by a nice volunteer called Susan, then placed into the general compound for female dogs.

A nice lady wanted to adopt it and was told that she had to pay RM300 for a stray. She had to bargin it down to RM200.

From what I know as a fact, no medication or additional expense for vaccinations was incurred at all, since all the work was done by a volunteer... who llike all others, use their own medication and soaps and tick baths and sprays.

The vet was annoyed that the dog was released during the weekend to another adopter on Saturday for the standard RM100 fee (this adopter also insisted on being contacted should the dog's owner finally show up to claim her) and said that he could have made more money if he sold it earlier.

The word I find contentious here is 'sold'. PAWS is like a black hole. Plenty of money goes in, but very little out. The vet was actually proud to announce that he managed to accumulate over 6 digit figure in the bank and spent little on operations.

As a charity, it should be more concern about rehoming as it already has 15 juniors under 6 months, 23 juniors under 1 year, 28 female and 17 male adults, 15 free roaming mutts in the office, and around 30 new puppies. AND I have not counted the numerous strays in the stray compound and those semi pedegrees kept in the back. AND the hundreds of cats too. There is a bad overcrowding problem that has been conveniently ignored.

I am drafting a letter of complaint instead of confronting the vet-in-charge or any of the committee members directly. It has been one 'storm in a teacup' after another at PAWS for the past few weeks so no one needs more exchange of angry words.

I would like to get the views and opinions of others in the forum. Please do let me know if you want it mentioned (and if so, pls provide details like receipt number, date, time, who was involved and who was present).

To ensure sustainable change, everything has to be formal and documented, and brought to the attention of relevant authorities.

ahbee
Novice

Jun 25, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #4 of 45 (4268 views)
Shortcut

agreed! Paws animal is suffering as long as dr Maha the vet is running Paws. becos he is sucking money from paws as well as not doing his job.

robros
K9 Maniac

Jun 30, 2004, 1:47 AM

Post #5 of 45 (4228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ahbee] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Had bad experience when I went with a friend to adopt a dog and a cat. Was given a high handed treatment by the vet. All he is concerned about is money not whether the adoptees will look after their new furkids properly. Although my friend is rich and has a huge landed property, I have persuaded him to adopt a orphan dog instead of buying

Still, I am interested in doing volunteer service for PAWS for the sake of the poor unfortunate animals. If I could and have lots and lots of money, I will adopt all these lovely furkids. Does anyone know how can i get around to be a volunteer? Do I have to be interviewed or something? I can only spare weekends, is that a problem?

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jun 30, 2004, 5:42 PM

Post #6 of 45 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robros] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!!

I have mentioned many times that much has been said about the management at PAWS especially the vet. We all know what's going on but then again, we'll keep those aside and focus more on the dogs and cats, which need much more attention than people who's only interested in $$$. Anyway, ignore them. We have no choice as we have to go thru them if we want to adopt. Don't let this be an obstacle to adopting as the strays are really in need of good homes. But when it comes to donations, please don't give cash as the money is seldom used to buying what the dogs need. Click below and check out the other threads under "Dog Adoption at PAWS".

http://www.puppy.com.my/...gforum.cgi?forum=42;

We have a Wish List for PAWS whereas you can buy things that are needed, rather than donate cash. And we also have a 'Volunteers Wanted' thread, where we have Volunteers@Work, who try to get volunteers to get things done at PAWS, like cleaning, bathing the dogs...etc..etc...during the weekends and even weekdays.

Hope this helps.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

ahbee
Novice

Jun 30, 2004, 6:21 PM

Post #7 of 45 (4205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenix] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!!

I have mentioned many times that much has been said about the management at PAWS especially the vet. We all know what's going on but then again, we'll keep those aside and focus more on the dogs and cats,

(sounds very clever but is that the solution to the dogs and cats? who do u mean by WE? i m sure a lot of ppls still donno as they still make cash donation.)

which need much more attention than people who's only interested in $$$. Anyway, ignore them.

(IGNORE THEM and they will go away? ignore them and the problem will dissapear? hello how old are u?)

We have no choice as we have to go thru them if we want to adopt.

(your view doesnt represent others, WE means who? just becos u have no balls to do anything doesnt mean u come here to talk nonsense. who said we have no choice? the god? or our prime minister??)Don't let this be an obstacle to adopting as the strays are really in need of good homes. But when it comes to donations, please don't give cash as the money is seldom used to buying what the dogs need. Click below and check out the other threads under "Dog Adoption at PAWS".

http://www.puppy.com.my/...gforum.cgi?forum=42;

We have a Wish List for PAWS whereas you can buy things that are needed, (pls figure out why the vet have very cheap Frontline to sell, at RM50. and many other donated items. all can buy from the vet at below cost, figure out!)

rather than donate cash. And we also have a 'Volunteers Wanted' thread, where we have Volunteers@Work, (Volunteers@Work is trying hard to bring down the vet Dr Maha now. she is collecting evidence of Dr Maha misconduct and have no time for anything else)who try to get volunteers to get things done at PAWS, like cleaning, bathing the dogs...etc..etc...during the weekends and even weekdays.

Hope this helps. (this wont help at all u silly fool, if u have a tumor can panadol help? )

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jun 30, 2004, 8:18 PM

Post #8 of 45 (4192 views)
Shortcut

Ooooooo...temper, temper, temper....

If you disagree, then kindly disregard this post. No big deal, dearie....

If you think, I'm being a silly fool.....well...silly or not silly, honey.......it is, actually, none of your bloody business.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2004, 11:54 PM

Post #9 of 45 (4166 views)
Shortcut

Dear Forum Member "ahbee"

There is no affiliation between Volunteers@Work and the 'No-Kill' interest group currently at PAWS who are trying to change its management. Pls do ascertain your facts.

If you have proof that the Vet has misappropriated donated items and funds, pls do present the necessary details to support your claim. I have been spending 20-35 hours a week at PAWS for the past 5 months and have not seen anything of the sort. The things that need to improve is transparancy and the establishment of written policies and procedures. The lack of medical attention given to the animals has more to do with the lack of direction from the committee etc. Euthanasia of strays is also another mine field and needs clarity at the policy level.

I am Volunteers@Work. My name is Cynthia Hor, and my phone number is 0129338108. If you are so sure that I have been collecting evidence to topple Maha that I have no time for anything else, then you are surely mistaken. I can pass on a list of items/tasks/activities pending and completed for your perusal if you insist. I think you owe me an apology for making that statement. Writing a letter of complaint can be constructive or destructive. There is no need for the latter is there?

If you are interested in the wellbeing of the animals at PAWS, do call me and I can arrange for you to do something constructive. There is no one assisting with the cats and kittens and I know they will appreciate someone coming in for one or two hours every alternate day to help with medication and vaccinations.

It will also be decent of you to abstain from being obnoxious to anyone on this forum. It is hard enough to work with do-gooders who do nothing good at PAWS, we do not need the same on this forum.

cynthia967
New User

Jul 1, 2004, 4:05 AM

Post #10 of 45 (4146 views)
Shortcut

hahahaha

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jul 1, 2004, 7:32 PM

Post #11 of 45 (4127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor, phoenix ] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Cynthia Well said ! I have not been to the PAWS for the passed few months due to work commitment but I do keep in touch with Mrs Ajit on stuff that is happening at PAWS. Finding homes for the doggies and cats should me the main concern for volunteers there and not on the other issue.

Let's do our part to help out whatever we can ....

Lilian,

Good post you have over there.... well said too Smile

cheers,
minglmy

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2005, 10:04 AM

Post #12 of 45 (3753 views)
Shortcut
The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

PAWS PPL~

once im a volunteer with some of my group member there at PAWS for the whole day, well, Dr. Maha is there for the whole day as well. he is "busy" sitting there, demanding the volunteers to do this, restrict them from doing tht. he suppose to be the 1 & only vet there who suppose to be busy treating the animals. but for the whole day, i din see he approach any animal.

when we are cleaning up the cat's cages, we found a kitten who is sick, so we passed it to the vet, Dr.Maha who suppose to treat the kitten. he said:" dear, i will do something" then we just walk away & keep an eye on him & the kitten. then, without doing anything he just called a non-local worker there to take the kitten, & the worker bringing the kitten to somewhere, so we followed quietly. the worker open the storage room (inside the front cat section) there is a freezer. he thrown the kitten ALIVE into the freezer! the kitten actually frozen to death without any treatment. y PAWS still claim tht it cost tht much for vet bills since they wont even border to treat a kitten? I thought PAWS promised the public they wont kill?! we opened the freezer & saw lots of cats' body there.. disgusting...

then i saw a man bringing in a dog, & Dr. Maha told him a price, then the man said that is not his dog, it is a stray, PAWS have the responsiblity as an animal shelter to take in the dog (he said) Dr.Maha's smiling face changed to "black & dark" face, & say: " ok, if u insist to bring in i will put the dog to sleep!" the man just pass the dog to Dr. Maha, & go. Dr. Maha angrily asked a non-local worker to bring the dog to " belakang sana, kurung dia, tunggu saya!" then i never seen the dog anymore.

after tht a man & woman came, they searching for their dog which they surrendered, according to them their dog havent being adopted, but where goes their dog? if u used to be a volunteer there, of corse u will know. we always take photos there to put up for adoption, but while the pups havent adopted, they disappeared when we go few days later. where they go? u know i know, comment sense...

Regards,

Yang

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2005, 4:59 PM

Post #13 of 45 (3742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sorry that you have to watch and go thru that experience. I have a photo record of things much worse but the almighthy Maha has banned me from PAWS.. Are you willing to write all this in a official letter of complaint and submit it to the committee for further action. There are far too many sitting on that committee who believe that Maha an angel. Our hands are tied unless members of the public are willing to put what they see in writing, and stand by what they say.

cyn - 012 9338108

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2005, 5:34 PM

Post #14 of 45 (3736 views)
Shortcut
The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

not that they believe Maha is an angel, just that most of them are in the same devil group as Maha.

i cant believe my eyes when their illegal workers are caught, what had the comitee does? they just waiting for volunteers to come & do the tasks. or else, they rather let the animals there to be hungry, dirty, suffering. Maha will just sit there whole day of corse, & that old lady in the office too.

she rejected our offer to bath their dogs although we told her we have the experience (not that after she reject she will bath for them) she said 1st comers not suitable to bath the dog, better go clean up the cages & feed the animals. well, i able to encourage a group of students to help there at PAWS, but what was told is to bath for the dogs! what the hack is it? just a matter of enjoy power.

submitting letters to comittee which most of them their hands & pockets are dirty? no way. we are coming up, keep an eye on us.

Chen Yang

Regards,

Yang

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #15 of 45 (3729 views)
Shortcut

And what harm would that do if you are willing to stand by what you say here? When they received something in writing, it has to be recorded in the minutes and becomes permanant.

Then these people have to justify what they did, since they hired Maha, their angel in white.

Yes, I agree that SPRV is growing, and thank god for that. Most people who truly care still come to PAWS simply because there are already 400 + animals already in need and diseased and dying. Can you walk away knowing the truth? Do something about it and never let up until things are put right.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2005, 7:04 PM

Post #16 of 45 (3721 views)
Shortcut

the problem is not much ppl know abt what is happening in PAWS. especially puppy.com members should be told abt this as many members here are helping PAWS. should i say PAWS are promoted mainly through puppy.com?

im posting this out to notify the puppy.com members abt what is happening. y PAWS banned the previous volunteers? bcs they know too many things, they saw too many things. PAWS' devils afraid ppl know abt what they did wrong.

in short, the bad ppl in PAWS afraid of ppl knowing what they have done. to give them pressure, one of the way of corse is write up to the comitee, but i cant see it is effective as there suppose to be lots already written up, but what had been done?

maybe we should use publicity to make them feel pressure, let more & more ppl know what they had done, this is what they afraid of. PAWS previous president resign also bcs of this pressure. imagine he can sit there with dirty hands for 7 years! of corse within the 7 years there are hand writtens complains. but there is no AGM. means, no public pressure. without the pressure, he will do nothing to ur writtens letters, if got public pressure, they will scared.

Regards,

Yang

Morphware
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 2:20 AM

Post #17 of 45 (3695 views)
Shortcut

I would love to know who was banned and by who, can anyone give me some details?

I really want to speak with any volunteers that have been banned, I can't imagine what they would have to have done to be banned. I know Cynthia has had some trouble there but even she isn't banned(are you Cynthia?)

I know some people, ok most people are not made feel welcome by Maha that just his nature and another reason to get rid of him, but this is the first I have heard that anyone has been banned from PAWS.

It seems strange that people who are donating their time and effort would be turned away, PAWS really needs all the healp it can get.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2005, 11:11 AM

Post #18 of 45 (3669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Morphware] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

By right the old lady & the old man dont have the right to blacklist anybody, but they did that. it is not strange that people who are donating their time and effort would be turned away as long as this 2 old man are there.

volunteers who spent lots of time there know too manythings. which the 2 old man might not want public to be known.

& volunteers are treated like workers, no appreciation at all.

Regards,

Yang

SeiLor
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 11:51 AM

Post #19 of 45 (3668 views)
Shortcut

The amount is slightly more if you adopt a pet that has been fully vaccinated and neutered/spayed. A pure breed may also require more attention; hence consider the manhours that has gone into cleaning/grooming that one long hair animal while the mongrels do without.

What a joke?! a pure breed charge higher fee?!

hahaha

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2005, 8:26 PM

Post #20 of 45 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Hee hee, black list? Ha, they have done much much worse. I challenge Maha to put it into writing that the committee banned me... he of course refused. Later he actually admited it was only the old lady.

But he sure put the pressure on me to leave. Police reports about stolen bag of dog food... He even told the boys no vaccinations, spays, medical treatments whilst Cynthia is on site. Imagine that!!! The burmese boys were doing his work in the first place, then its blackmail Cynthia using the animals. Hey did I mention the flat tyres... 3 times after immediately after leaving PAWS.

Anyway, some other volunteers said that it would be better for the animals if I left. Nevermind, if i stuck around I think he would have had a heart attack or something. You should have seen him panic as I took photos whenever something was not right.

I was at the AGM and in full force. I trust that good will always prevail. So I hope to see you at the next AGM.

Morphware
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 9:16 PM

Post #21 of 45 (3633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeiLor] The cost of adoption at PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree the purpose of PAWS is to rehome animals not to make more profit out of some and not as much out of others.

Yes they may require more "work" but most of the time that work is from volunteers so they don't cost PAWS anything much more to look after. All the animals deserve equal treatment and they all deserve a good home.

Having a policy where some dogs are charged more than others is encouraging the fat old indian in the office to try and pocket some money himself.(In my humble opinion)

Morphware
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 9:34 PM

Post #22 of 45 (3631 views)
Shortcut

I suggest that you get some puncture proof tires and continue taking many many photos when Maha is arround.

Mwahahaha (evil laugh) Frown

But seriously now that the new president is in and Maha doesn't do anything, in fact vets from outside come in to do his job(what is he paid to do again?), I would encourage you to come in to PAWS and be a volunteer.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2005, 10:20 PM

Post #23 of 45 (3623 views)
Shortcut

"The burmese boys were doing his work in the first place"

include putting the animals to sleep. they actually not being humanely put to sleep, they are devilly suffer to death.

All the puppies at PAWS were screaming and yelping as the needle pierce their flesh multiple times (all done in public view)

"...I was disgusted to learn that animals are put to sleep outside in full view of other dogs awaiting the same fate. It is cruel to expose animals to this - they are not stupid. It is callous to allow this suffering - no wonder the animals scream when euthanased..."

Tricia Eales, Founder of PAWS and Manager for 6 years, Life member

Im not sure wether this is still happening now, but im sure maha is the cause & he is still here, so... no guarantee. he might do this again.

Regards,

Yang

Morphware
Novice

Mar 9, 2005, 10:37 PM

Post #24 of 45 (3616 views)
Shortcut

This is a very touchy subject for most people but I will try to respond to it anyway.

Ok from what I have seen personally Maha does very little euthanatizing if any, I suppose its a good thing that he is lazy and doesn't do much at the moment not that he did much before.

I have also personally observed that if any euthanatizing is to be carried out it is done in the treatment room out of the publics view and it is done by one of the called in or volunteer vets and it is done in a very calm and proffessional way.

Please don't drag up things from the past it isn't a nice past and most of the issues have been dealt with. Bringing this back to the surface really only makes things more difficult for the people who are fixing or have fixed the problems of the past.
By all means if you witness something happen at PAWS today, tomorrow or whenever in the future please bring it to the publics attention so that it can be addressed.

(This post was edited by Morphware on Mar 9, 2005, 10:49 PM)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2005, 10:40 PM

Post #25 of 45 (3615 views)
Shortcut

My thoughts exactly!!!! You should see his face chage colour evertime I walk about with a camera. If only we can put in a webcam... and record everything.

Yes, there is a lot of work to be done. Perhaps we can talk one day.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my