How much food to feed a beagle

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2002, 5:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3186 views)
Shortcut
How much food to feed a beagle Can't Post

Hi all,

May I know how much food do you feed your beagles each day?

At the moment, I'm feeding my almost-6-mths-old girl 3 meals a day:
  • 2 meals (morning and night) of dry kibbles (almost 1 cup each meal) - Eagle Pack puppy formula
  • 1 meal in between - milk mixed with an egg (her favourite). This was suggested by the vet for weight gain and growth

The recommended amount stated on the packaging for a 6mth old puppy should be about TWO cups each meal, THREE meals a day. That seems a lot to me.

So far, Bodhi cleans up her bowl every time but until recently, I tried to increase the amount but Bodhi would only consume her normal amount and leave some leftover. How strange, and I thought beagles are always hungry.

I've consulted the vet but he said that it's more important to consider the puppy's weight rather than the amount of food they eat. At 6 months old, Bodhi weighs around 8kg, which is fine according to the vet. So, no question about under-feeding.

So, I'm more confused than ever as to how much exactly do I have to feed Bodhi ? Any advice or experience to share pls?

ginl
ALPHA

Dec 28, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] How much food to feed a beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Snoopy,

2 cups split into 3 meals a day sounds more like it than 2 cups per meal x 3 meals, that wud make 6 cups a day which is way too much for a beagle! At 6 mths of age you can actually decrease the meal to 2 meals a day....your vet is right....the weight is more important....as long as your dog weighs proportionately then u r on the right track in the amt u feed....the amt shown on the food pack is just a guideline....you will also hv to take into consideration other factors when feeding such as the amt of exercise your dog is getting and adjust the feeding accordingly....one good way to know if your dog is at the right weight is to feel the ribs....you shd be able to feel the ribs easily (not too fat) at the same time when u look at your dog's ribs they must not be protruding out (not too thin).

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2002, 2:23 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] How much food to feed a beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks ginl. Based on your explanation, Bodhi's "figure" looks about right. But personally, I prefer her to be a bit chubbier...but not fat also. For a beagle, Bodhi seems quite content with just enough food. Eventhough I try to feed her more, she just won't take it. Hmmm, sometimes I wonder whether dogs also know when's the time to go on diet !!! Heehee. Thanks again ginl.

ginl
ALPHA

Dec 29, 2002, 5:59 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Haaaaa....maybe your Beagle is a health conscious dog...a lot of dogs will eat as much as given to them and before u know it they look like a big fat piece of salami Tongue

astrojulie
Novice

Jan 18, 2003, 3:30 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Beagles are great dogs, I really want one. I'm currently looking for a dog and a Beagle is my main choice right now! Anyway, after your dog is 6 months old you should limit the feedings to two meals a day, unless they are really hungry or become too skinny, and then you can add a snack between morning and night if necessary. But puppies usually require 3 meals a day. My dad says that Beagles have a habit of becoming fat Tongue. so a good way to decide how much you should feed your Beagle is to lightly feel and are of the dog's skin between your thumb and index finger. if you feel any fat, you should either increase the dog's excersise or lessen the amount of food you give the dog. Or, like ginl said, you can feel for the dog's ribs. you should be able to feel the dog's ribs easily with your hands, but they should not be visible. I hope you and your dog have a good time together!
~Many Good Dog Years!~

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [astrojulie] How much food to feed a beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi astrojulie,

Right now, I'm feeding Bodhi 2 meals a day (7am and 7pm), 1 cup each meal. In between, she gets her daily dose of milk + 1 egg (Hmmm, her FAVOURITE!). Unlike other beagles, Bodhi doesn't seem too enthusiastic with food, but she loves her treats though! One thing I noticed is that if I feed her later than her usual time, she won't want to eat anymore. Especially in the weekends when I wake up around 9am. Nope! She'll just sniff at her food and turn away. At times, she won't even come to the bowl. So far, she's neither skinny nor fat. But I personally prefer her to put on a wee bit more fat. Recently, I bought a bottle of doggy gravy from a petshop which is supposed to make her kibbles taste better. So far, it works but not all the time. I've concluded that Bodhi is just a health-conscious beagle (if there's one like that)!! SmileHehe! Good luck onyour search for your dream beagle!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my