Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
diarrhea Urgent

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 26, 2002, 11:27 PM

Post #1 of 20 (6486 views)
Shortcut
diarrhea Urgent Can't Post

I just bought my two months Shih tzu mix pup on the 18th of Dec. She seemed fine when I got her and took her to the vet for vaccination. Doctor could not vaccinate her cause he said that she was probably coming down with something. He dewormed her and gave me some multi vitamins (for Bubbles not me..but I think I need some now) The next day, Bubbles started having diarrhea...and it got worse after few days. I took her to the vet again yesterday. I was told to stop feeding her dog food (science diet) and to feed her boiled shredded chicken meat. He gave some antibiotic. Today, there's blood in her poo and her poo is all watery but very little and she seem to go more frequently now.... I called up the doctor and he told me to bring her back in tomorrow if still have blood in her poo. I am soo worried. Has this happened to anyone's pet before? She does like eating the chicken meat though..and seems to eat as normal but she is not as active and just sleeps most time. Can someone please help me?? I cant seem to sleep well, worrying about Bubbles

ashley
ALPHA

Dec 26, 2002, 11:44 PM

Post #2 of 20 (6481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Pebbles, Last few week my chihuahua Puppy also like this but after Dr give her take medicine a few day later she turn beter the poo no blood and no watery. U bring her go to see Dr see how is going on 1st!! Don't worry i think is ok!!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 27, 2002, 10:23 PM

Post #3 of 20 (6465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ashley, Thanx for replying. Bubbles looks much better today. Though her poo is still watery but no blood. It's darker in colour now, though (her poo) How many days did it took your puppy to get all well? and what did you feed her while she was having diarrhea? Though Bubbles likes the chicken meat but I find that it is not nutricious enough. The Dr. gave some vitamin supplement drops but Bubbles hates it. Does anyone send their pets to the "Healing room" vet at subang parade? And how do you all find the doctors there? I dont mean to be such a fuss pot but, I get so worried cause the doctors all seem sooooo very young!! Does anyone know any other good vets around Subang Jaya?

Riccaval
ALPHA

Dec 27, 2002, 10:58 PM

Post #4 of 20 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,
Hope Bubbles recover soon. For diarrhea I strongly recommend "scourban". Its a medication in liquid form ,comes in a bottle with a pump.
The instruction/dosage is given. I can vouch for its effectiveness. Its like human 'Poh Chai' pills. Every dog owner should have a bottle at home.
You can get it easily in most pet shop or vet.clinic.
Try it before u go to the vet again.
Hope this helps
RiccavalWink

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 27, 2002, 11:19 PM

Post #5 of 20 (6455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx alot. I'll try to get it.Can I use this medication along with the antibiotics the Dr gave? Her poo seemed darker in color..almost blackish...what does this mean? My 8 year old daughter is soo worried about Bubbles too. Now, both of them are lying down, facing each other.Unsure.Now, I have to console both of them.

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 27, 2002, 11:30 PM

Post #6 of 20 (6452 views)
Shortcut

There is a vet medical centre in subang but i don't know the contacts and the location. You can also go to their main branch in jalan tun razak, its called Animal Medical Centre. They have a full fledge hospital there. Cant remember the number off hand though...but the old number was 03-442 6742, you can dial 103 to check in the yellow pages.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

Riccaval
ALPHA

Dec 27, 2002, 11:30 PM

Post #7 of 20 (6452 views)
Shortcut

Shouldn't be a problem. The medication actually prevents dehydration and makes the poo consistent not watery but hey I'm no DR. just someone who has use the product before.
Hope Bubbles is eating and drinking, thats impt.
Tell your daughter to cheer up everthing will be fine soon.
While you are out scouting for "scourban" you might want to also ask for Nutrigel Plus. Its something like a pick-me up, multivite sort of thing. I give this to my bitch after whelping and dogs recovering from sickness and finicky eaters.
All the best

(This post was edited by Riccaval on Dec 27, 2002, 11:50 PM)

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2002, 1:53 AM

Post #8 of 20 (6447 views)
Shortcut

okay, thanx. I'll try to find the medication you mentioned at the pet shop in subang parade. I hope they carry those stuff. Bubbles is eating and drinking. She eats the boiled chicken but when I tried giving just a little of her normal food (science diet) she doesnt want to eat it. I hope I wont have problems getting her to eat her normal food later on. I just hope the chicken meat is enough for her now. Oh, I just want Bubbles to be better, right now. Isn't it so very heartbreaking to see them sick? Esp. Bubbles, she's just a two month old baby.Frown

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2002, 2:00 AM

Post #9 of 20 (6446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, cyphang..I'll try to locate this AMC. I hope it is close by my place. I do not have a car, so, I have to rely on taxis to get to the vet.And mind you, it is not easy to get a taxi driver that is willing to take a pet in their car........

cdmoo
ALPHA

Dec 28, 2002, 2:43 AM

Post #10 of 20 (6443 views)
Shortcut

hi Pebbles,
The AMC is located in SS 18.. 03-56369008
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

boon
Doggyman

Dec 28, 2002, 6:14 AM

Post #11 of 20 (6440 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,

OK from what you described, Bubbles' stool is from watery to the stool with blood and then become darker ? The stool became darker in color is actually the dried blood in the body. How about her condition now. Is the stool look yellowish now? Or she is OK already ?

Based on what u mentioned, this could be the early symthomps of Parvo. yes is Parvo, a deadly virus. I hope that i'm wrong, but u need to keep an eye on her. Is normal for the pup that has the infection but with good or at least with appetite.
Actually i called uncle Derrick Kok, just now asking him about Sunnie's codition (CY's Shih Tzu) he shared with me that the symthomps u mentioned could be parvo virus infection. If the pup still didn;t get any better, is good for u to bring to the vet again and ask them to check on parvo virus.

OK, let's hope that is not parvo. Wish your pup speedy recovery. Hug her/him on my behalf.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

(This post was edited by boon on Dec 28, 2002, 6:20 AM)

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2002, 7:46 PM

Post #12 of 20 (6431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanx for the info. She seems much better today. Her stool is not greenish in color but somewhat very dark brown but still watery though she doesn't poo as often as the past few days. I'll see how she is by tomorrow. If not, I'll take her to the AMC in ss18. By the way, thanx for letting me know where it is. I've called up another Vet and he told me not to feed her the chicken meat...???....So, is it better to continue feeding her normal dog food? or should I just stick to the normal boiled chicken meat?I am confused about her food, right now. How, do they get this "parvo"?? And what are the other next symptons I should look out for? I pray, that you are wrong.

boon
Doggyman

Dec 30, 2002, 1:25 AM

Post #13 of 20 (6419 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,

below is the url with good explaination of what parvo is all about.

http://nd.essortment.com/symptomscanine_rhnu.htm

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

htpol
Novice

Dec 30, 2002, 7:40 PM

Post #14 of 20 (6400 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,

How is your puppy now ? From your description, I think is not the Parvo virus. Normally, Parvo infection wouln't last you for 5 days without any supportive treatment with the fluid. I would suggest you to look for Hookworms and Corona virus. The clinical signs are quite similar but Parvo is having a terrible smell on the diarrhea. Although your pup has been dewormed but I don't know what is the dewormer has given. The vet may give you a cheaper source of dewormer that is not effective to Hookworm. In the Corona case, is not as serious as Parvo since it attacks the villus not the crypts. Give plenty of electrolytes mix with water, let your pup to build up his own immunity.

Hope he is doing well.

htpol

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jan 1, 2003, 6:13 PM

Post #15 of 20 (6388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [htpol] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Bubbles is doing much better. Thank God..though her poo still differs from being normal then back to soft (but not too watery) and greenish. She doesn't go as often as before..more or less back to her normal routine. But, I do see some longish white stuff in her poo...Do you think it is worms?? So, should I get her dewormed again? She doesn't seem to like her dog food nowadays. I've been giving her science diet. She is stubborn too. She'll be very hungry but when she sees her dog food. She'll snorts and walk away. What other good brands out there, I should try?? What are electrolites?? And where can I get it? THe vet has given multivitamins. Is that enough?

(This post was edited by Pebbles on Jan 1, 2003, 6:16 PM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 8:12 PM

Post #16 of 20 (6369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pebbles)diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear Bubbles is better. From what u describe looks like the worms have not cleared up. Good idea to deworm her again but be careful of the dosage. Have you check out the Nutriplus Gel that I mention the last time. I think it would help with bringing back Bubbles apetite. Its very palatable.

(This post was edited by Riccaval on Jan 2, 2003, 8:15 PM)

htpol
Novice

Jan 2, 2003, 8:27 PM

Post #17 of 20 (6365 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles, Is good to hear from you Bubble is doing well at the moment. I don,t know what is the ' longish white stuff'. Nowadays, the dewormers are quite safe and you can deworm again without any side effect if you are still worrying about the worms. Drontal Plus or Paraquistel Plus (same ingredients) are your choices. Electrolytes is the salt including sodium, magnesium,... etc is strongly recommending for diarrhea cases (human being as well) due to the lost of those electrolytes. The animals die because of the losses of the electrolytes and the blood become alkalosis or acidosis in the severe diarrhea cases. You can buy it from the pharmacist or give 100 plus in alternative way. Since you are offering Bubbles with chicken meat, sure lost the interest on dry food. Starve him once he recovered.

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2003, 5:25 PM

Post #18 of 20 (6350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [htpol] diarrhea Urgent [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there, Riccaval and htpol....I'm planning to bring Bubbles back to the vet today or tomorrow. I could not find the nutrigel plus at the pet shop around here. Maybe I'll try to get it from the vet. I've tried giving Bubbles 100plus, but she doesn't like it. I'll get the vet to deworm her again. I've changed her food to Eagle Pack.I'm a little confused about the brand of doggy food out there. (I was told about premium pack..and normal pack??) Is this Eagle Pack, okay? Bubbles loves the smell...but needs a little coaxing to eat it...haiyah.....so susah. Now she is coughing as well! Can a child pass colds down to puppies and vise versa?? Cause now, my daughter and Bubbles are coughing!! My daughter, keeps carrying and kissing Bubbles...so, I wonder if both of them caught a cold from each other.Thanx again for all the info

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2003, 8:10 PM

Post #19 of 20 (6331 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pebbles,
How is Bubbles? is everything OK with the little fellow??
regards

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Feb 2, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #20 of 20 (6290 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...sorry for not replying sooner but the whole household have been really sick these past few weeks...A friend took me to another vet way in Setia Maju and glad I went there cause finally we know what is actually wrong with bubbles. The vet took one look at Bubbles paws and did a blood test to confirm her suspicion. Bubbles has a virus in her blood stream and if not treated could lead to death. After several weeks of antibiotics, Bubbles is doing well but her white blood cells is still slightly active..so, she is still not completely cured yet, but the worst is almost over..but now, I have to watch out for fits...cause the virus might attack her nerves. If it just attacks her limbs..it will not be fatal. But if it goes up to her head..like grinding of her teeth....then, that is really bad, cause we then have to put her to sleep. But i am happy to report that Bubbles has put on weight...and she is as naughty as a 3 month old puppy can be! So, we are very hopeful that she can fight this thing. I am very anxious but, all we can do now is wait.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my