Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog's Rights and Protection:
Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection?

rasebastian

May 6, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1573 views)
Shortcut
Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? Can't Post

A couple of weeks ago I posted this topic in the Polls section. I must say the response was no so encouraging. Anyway I'm re-posting it hoping to make a difference.

My questions:

1. should pet owners be made to attend compulsory pet appreciation classes (CGC) before they can get a license?

2. should there be a strick code of ethics for local breeders to ensure dogs/cats are bred responsibly and should they be licensed so that no one who's got a male and a female dog become a 'breeder'?

3. should obidience classes or basic training be made mandatory for pet (esp dogs and cats) owners and their pets?

I believe when we prove that we are all responsible and educated pet owners more and more facilities will become pet friendly,as they are in many countries around the world.

After reading the recent news articles and posts on cruelty to animals, esp dogs. I'm wondering if there are enough laws and level of punishment for cruelty to animals, in our country. Are bodies like SPCA and PAWS doing enough to educate pet owners bringing enough public awareness to cruelty commited againts animals in our country? Are they also working with th authorities to ensure there are stringent laws and punishment that will deter cruelty to animals, inlcuding indescriminate breedings (i.e. breeding pets e.sp dog with known gene problems, e.g HD).

As pet lovers, what should and can we do? I'd love to hear from all of you.
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

nathalie
Doggyman

May 6, 2004, 10:39 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rasebastian] Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile i agree that it should be made compulsory for owners to attend such classes. if u love your dogs or cats or even your reptile pets i don't think it'll burden you.

in addition to that PUNISH those irresponsible owners in accordance to justice & the grieveness of the sufferings done by them to their pets !!! At least it'll serve as a deterrant for potential owners to think twice before planning to buy a pet just for the sake of having one.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

May 8, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rasebastian] Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys,

would like to chip in some thought about this issue.

My thoughts :

1. mm, CGC is not quite a pet appreciation course, it's more like a responsible-pet-owner course kinda thing. so far we hear everyone urging the same thing, BE RESPONSIBLE. CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOGS. BE A RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER.

to think about it, it doesn't help much, does it :/ ? i don't think making ppl sit through a couple of hours of pet appreciation class will knock the message into those irresponsible ppl's thick skull. b'sides, if it's made compulsary it will only make license registeration more troublesome for everyone.

2. absolutely yes. and there must be officers rounding the kennels and grading it (like those restaurants that are dirty, they get closed down). puppy millers should get heavy punishment. question is, will the government fund for this sort of concept? or will the funding be better off spent on education, children's welfare and etc? malaysia still has a loooooong way to go when it comes to pet welfare.

3. no it should not. i guess obedience training is more like a sport than something that should be made mandatory. if it is made mandatory, note that not all dogs do well in obedience... really well, i mean, Lassie-well. and many ppl tend to think that their dogs has lassie potential. some owners will easily lose patience and only the dog suffers in the end. heck u even see ppl paying money for obedience training and lose patience. at least those that lose patience can quit the classes halfway. if it's mandatory... hmmm...

anyway, a pet doesn't need "formal education" to be loved. many dogs can't do sits or stands and they pull like a bull when they're outside. owners still love them a lot and think that it's the dog's personality :p. some dogs are great dogs, superb training material and craving for love. but they never get the love that they need.

if owners love their dogs, they know what's good for their dog :)

btw, cat obedience... that's interesting.... :P

SPCA and PAWS are trying really hard to educate owners. they also have adoption campaigns going around. i guess they're hand tight at their jobs, busy caring for unwanted dogs and strays. i'm sure they're playing their role well, maybe their doing not enough to educate pet owners bringing enough public awareness to cruelty commited againts animals in our country as u said, but i guess they're trying their best.

"Are they also working with th authorities to ensure there are stringent laws and punishment that will deter cruelty to animals, inlcuding indescriminate breedings (i.e. breeding pets e.sp dog with known gene problems, e.g HD)."

don't know, but i guess that alone too takes time and a lot of painstaking process. b'sides, i don't think that's SPCA or PAW's responsibility. they have other matters to worry - unwanted dogs, strays.

"I believe when we prove that we are all responsible and educated pet owners more and more facilities will become pet friendly,as they are in many countries around the world. "

many countries around the world do not have religious issues to deal with like here. it is a sticky issue and will take ages to resolve. it's not about being responsible or educated or not, it's ppl accepting them, from a religious perspective, in the first place.

as pet lovers, the least we can do is play our own role well. educate newbies in the pet-owning hobby. let ppl change the perspective about dogs, assure curious kids on the playground that our dogs don't bite. things like that :)

that's it for now, a very interesting topic. good job coming up with it ;)

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 6, 2004, 9:58 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1477 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

All pet owners especially doggies shud be made complusory to attend some type of course like you have mentioned... every owner shud also make a pledge and sign a statement like this one:

Pledge for ALL Dog Owners/ Adopters
  • I pledge to make a reasonable commitment of time and effort, and to affect scheduling and lifestyle changes in order to make this relationship work
  • I pledge to make sure my dog is not exposed to the elements of weather without proper shelter, shade cover, dry ground, access to fresh water and at least 1 hour of loving companionship and play a day (I understand this is a minimum and will strive to keep the dog with me as much as possible and treat him/her as an important member of my family)
  • I pledge to provide appropriate and timely veterinary care for the life of my dog
  • I pledge provide my dog with the proper nutrition for optimum health, and to keep my dog the proper weight, neither obese nor emaciated
  • I pledge to keep this dog indoors at night, and to include him/her in the activities of the household while we are home, as much as possible
  • I pledge to keep my dog groomed and free of external parasites and matting (particularly behind my dog's ears, under his elbows, his tail and thighs)
  • I pledge to spay or neuter my dog, if he/she is not already*(for there are so many strays in M'sia)
  • I pledge to give my do ample aerobic exercise daily, and make sure that at least three times a week he gets to run and play and get tired out
  • I pledge to provide my dog with mental stimulation in the form of either play, interactive toys, training, or off territory leash walks, DAILY
  • I pledge to provide my dog with enough training and/or behavioral management so as to enable him to be a welcome part of my community, or managed safely
  • I pledge to provide my dog ample outlets for his instincts (such as off territory leash walks/running, opportunities to sniff and explore the natural world, agility training, trick training, fun and rewarding obedience training, play with other dogs, etc.), so that he does not feel constantly frustrated, or develop behavioral problems because he is neglected or under stimulated
  • I pledge to provide a home in which my dog clearly knows there are certain rules to which I will insist on and he can count on
  • I pledge to provide my dog with enough toys to satisfy his urge to chew
  • I pledge to get professional help if my dog has or develops behavior or temperament problems, and, if safe, to manage my dog carefully so as not ot endanger the people and other pets in my community
  • I pledge to do everything I can to keep my dog from becoming a nuisance in my community
  • I will not allow him to run free/out of my control, chase cars, bicycles, children, etc.
  • I will seek professional help to get my dog to be quiet, or keep him quiet both when I am home and away, so as not to disturb my neighbors
  • I pledge to "scoop poop" from my dog when off my property, so that my dog and other dogs will always be welcome in public
  • I pledge that if I have to move residences for any reason, I am aware that finding housing that accepts pets can take longer than average, but that I will commit to moving with my dog, as I would move with a member of my family
  • I pledge that if, for any reason, I can no longer keep this dog, I will not abandon this dog, and
  • I will return the dog to the shelter (if required) or leave ample time to find a new, appropriate home, tell the new owners truthfully all the dog's behaviors, good and bad, and follow up occasionally to make sure the dog is safe and content

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

rasebastian

Jun 18, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is good! How do we mak eit stick?
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 18, 2004, 2:43 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Hi Smile

Maybe we can start by all the members here signing a copy each... what say u?... you think Mr Khoo will allow??? Crazy

Augustmoon
Dog Kichi

Jun 18, 2004, 3:24 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladee_m] Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good jobSlySly I really appreciated the work done by you, taking all the trouble and time to list down those self-responsibility as owner. If Mr. Khoo allow I will sign in and give my full support.

ladee_m
Doggyman

Jun 18, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Augustmoon] Should Pet owners be made to attend compulsory Pet appreciation classes before they can obtain a license or buy a pet and are there enough Malaysian Laws for Animal Welfare and Protection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Smile

I hope so too... thanks for the encouragement... Wink thumbs up to you for being a candidate for FURKIDS rights!!! Wink

Augustmoon
Dog Kichi

Jun 18, 2004, 9:19 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Well, it’s just a matter of right understanding toward others, whether human or animal.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my