Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
cryptorchidism

Sugarhigh80
New User

May 5, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1446 views)
Shortcut
cryptorchidism Can't Post

Vet is recommending to perform surgery on my furkid, Gizmo <min. schnauzer> soonest due to cryptorchidism. Was the vet merely soliciting for business?

Gizmo is approx. 8 months old. Breeder is rather dodgy. Claims that pending cert from MKA. Precise age of Gizmo is not known.

Please advise. I've only had him for less than 2 months and he's already a member of the family. Can't bear to lose him <not to sound overly dramatic>Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 6, 2004, 12:42 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sugarhigh80] cryptorchidism [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

I leave it to others (if they wish) to comment on the breeder and MKA ...

It is generally recommended that dogs suffering from cryptorchidism (whether unilateral or bilateral) undergo surgery to remove the undescended testicle/s. For reasons, just do a search on the internet ... and you will find lots of articles on the subject.

The procedure is not complicated and the surgery fairly common place ... While there is risk in any form of surgery, the risk is minimal and your pup should be fine ... so not to worry too much.

Just find yourself a good vet with experience, to perform the surgery.

Just one thought though ... you might like to wait until your dog is about a year old before going for surgery ... It is possible for undecended testicles to "suddenly" descend when a dog hits maturity ... Undescended testicles (as I understand the condition) is not immediately life threatening in any way ... And it may be good to just wait awhile and see if the dog's condition reverts to normal all by itself ... Check with a good vet.

Cheers Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my