Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem..

connie82
Novice

May 4, 2004, 8:46 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3522 views)
Shortcut
Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem.. Can't Post

Hi...Wink

I have just got my GR puppy 1 month ago and he is now 3 months old. He just loves to bite anything that he could catch hold of. He would bite and tear the plants apart. The worst thing is that he would sometimes eat the leaves up. Beside that, for some unknown reason.. he love to eat grass... Each time I leave hime out from his crate to play.. he would run over to the grass section of my garden and start bitting and chewing on the grass and plants... He also loves to chew on stones and sometimes eat up the sands in the flower pot...Mad

Most of the time, while I bring him out for a walk aroud the neighbourhood... he would pick up rubbish to eat. There was once.. he ate a banana skin which was thrown on the floor by someone...

Besides... bitting my pants or any ones pants is also his fav... there were a few time while trying to bite my pants he bite my leg aswell...Frown

What can I do about him... Is every GR puppy that naughty or is it just mine... please help... I do not have any experience in handling this problem as I am a new dog owner... So please help.... I really dun know what to do about him...Crazy

-Connie-

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 5, 2004, 8:54 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [connie82] Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

At 3 months ... your pup is starting to change teeth ... so the chewing is normal ... And all pups are playful, curious and wanting to learn as much as they can ... everything is new and exciting ...

Without hands, dogs use their noses and mouth to touch, taste, feel and smell the world around them ...

Use the "search" icon and do search the forum for threads on chewing, mouthing and biting (including eating leaves & grass) ... theses topics have been much discussed ...

Also ... get yourself a good book/manual on dog behaviour and training ... there are plenty around in the book shops ... They will be worth every penny and help you understand your dog better ...

Cheers Smile

connie82
Novice

May 5, 2004, 4:59 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...

Do u have any books to recomend? There are just so many in the book shops... and I am not sure on which one to choose..

-Connie-

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

May 5, 2004, 11:38 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [connie82] Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Try this thread ... some training books & manuals have been suggested:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=115539;search_string=training%20books%20manuals;#115539

Do a search in the forum on "training books manuals" for more suggestions ...

Some tips with selecting a book or manual:

(a) Check Amazon for reviews. Amazon carries most training books and lots of useful reviews by people who have either read or are using the books. The editorials are also good guides.

(b) Pick the newest and latest editions available. Training methods are changing and improving all the time.

Cheers Smile

vijitha
Novice

Jun 3, 2004, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3426 views)
Shortcut

You pup is a cutie (in the pic). He is teething. This hurts like how it does with babies so they will chew on anything. We have an Alaskan Malamute that chewed anything, including part of the couch. Get him toys and bones (raw) to chew on, this will help him exercise his jaw and keep him busy. Dogs/pups eat grass as instinct. They sometimes eat grass (mine does from time to time) for tummy upsets or if it feels something is missing from the diet. What do u feed him? There are also the occasions where dogs chew on tree twigs etc. Yes, at the age your pup is, he will take anything in his mouth. He is exploring, so anything goes in his mouth. He will outgrow this but it is very important you stop this from a young age, like "no" or "leave it". It will be harmful if he eats anything that may have germs or intolerant to his stomach. So pull anything out from his mouth (yes pretty disgusting) when he decides to eat anything he finds. When he bites, say "No" firmly or "No biting". Be consistent with this with a stern voice but do not hit your dog. My dog play bites but he knows when to stop. It can hurt but they don't know their strenght. Your puppy is NOT naughty, he is little baby like all other dogs and need training - good luck connie :) and enjoy him

giegie
Novice

Jul 12, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vijitha] Need HELP in Bitting and Chewing Problem.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi connie82,

My puppy too have biting habit, he likes to bite/nibble toes and fingers and my clothes when i play with him or carry him,i just took him home last saturday, he is just 6 week old, i wonder what is a suitable age to teach him in a proper voice tone ?? He is still like a lil baby to me...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my