IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Clicker Training

rasebastian

Apr 26, 2004, 9:41 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Clicker Training Can't Post

Has anyone heard of or used the Clicker Training method? is it effective? Pros and Cons?

There was some talk about it during the pet carnival in Atria, PJ over the weekend. Just wante dto know if anyone here knows about it.

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Apr 26, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rasebastian] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Clicker is a great training tool for me!

>Positive<

Clicker works great with puppies, trick trianing and shaping new behaviours. It always has to be paired with food or toy for reward. It is easy to condition a dog to clicker training. If you condition a dog to clicker and when you click the clicker, he will know that he is doing something good and getting a reward which makes the behaviour to happen more. It speeds up the training by 50%. Clicker has the same sound all the time to mark the behaviour unlike voice like "sit, siit, SIITTTT!!" when you are frustrated that your dog is not sitting.

>Negative<

You always have to have a clicker and the reward with you. Your timing of clicking the clicker has to be good since dogs have 1.5seconds in which to associate a cause with an effect. So when a dog is doing something right, click it immediately and give the reward. It is not an emotional praise for the dog. Some dogs are sound sensitive to like clicker. You can also use a word for praising but saying a word like *yes* is not as fast as using the clicker. The difficult thing is that you will eventually have to phase out the clicker and food to train.

I hope you have got the idea of what I mentioned above! (I am worried about my grammer)Laugh

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 28, 2004, 8:29 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

For teaching basic commands ... clicker training is probably the fastest method I know ...

Teaching more complicated commands requires a little more patience and experience.

Advantages:

It's fast ... amazingly fast. Its quite remarkable how dogs learn to understand the clicker .. We taught our dog to target within 10minutes ... The key to clicker training is learning when to click! ... If the owner learns to click at the correct time - it becomes a very easy and fast method of training.

It's positive training ... relying on praise & reward ... The dog is not stressed ... no tugging, pulling or pushing ... just you, the dog & the clicker.

Just tie a loop on your clicker, strap it around your wrist & a pocketful of treats ... that's it ... you are ready to go.

I would not hesitate to encourage dog owners to try clicker training ...

Disadvantages:

Trying to find a suitable clicker ...

The ideal clicker should actually have a muted sound, not harsh or loud. The only place I know where such muted clickers may be found is in Karen Pryor's site ... Do a search on Google.

For efficient clicker training ... you really need to do some research & reading first ... to learn and understand the concept of clicker training ... If you go about it on a hit & miss basis ... It is far too easy to get yourself and your dog confused ... and then you have to undo all the early errors ...

If you start right ... it is fast! ... Check Karen Pryor's site or Amazon for clicker training manuals.

Cheers Smile

rasebastian

Apr 28, 2004, 8:42 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all!

Like I said, I went to the pet carnival over the weekend and the local Clicker Trainer, Toh Cheng See, was demonstrating it. Quite effective as I discovered. She uses the clicker from Karen's site and she's also listed on Karen's site as the trainer in Malaysia. At first I wasn't sure, but later when I saw her, I realised that Cheng See, was the same Cheng See .... my college mate from Ipoh! Anyway, I've signed up for the free 1hr preview workshop.
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

milooh

May 6, 2004, 6:14 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, my husband clicker trains my 3 dogs all the time in agility and just general obedience. Here is a great site about clicker training. Smile

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/

Rossie
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

May 7, 2004, 8:06 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking for any place to get clicker in Malaysia. Do you know any?!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find it at all!

milooh

May 7, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whity_rabirabit] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, you dont need to have a real clicker, just find some gadget that makes a clicking sound. I think one of the puppy.com members were giving some away at one time, ask Toh Cheng See.

Rossie
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

May 8, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, I know! Well anyway Thanks. :D

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

May 8, 2004, 9:44 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whity_rabirabit] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

One utama shopping center, the new store at the old ikea - pet department. they sell clickers there.

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

May 8, 2004, 11:21 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Clicker Training [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my gosh! I went to the Pet's Store in the lower ground level at One Utama just few days ago but I couldn't find it! lol It was so closeby! Thank you!!! :D

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my