My golden puppy bite me!!

connie82
Novice

Apr 24, 2004, 2:41 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2763 views)
Shortcut
My golden puppy bite me!! Can't Post

Hi...

I need help... My golden retriever puppy (3 mth old) bites me. He bites my hand while I am trying to put the lead on him and sometimes while brushing his coat and sometimes while playing. Beside my hand, he loves to bite any other stuff which he could find in the garden.

And when I say NO, he never listen to me. I was told that a golden retriever is very obedience but mine does not listen to me at all.

I am a first time owner and really do not know how to handle him. Please help.

-Connie-

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 24, 2004, 9:40 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [connie82] My golden puppy bite me!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

3 month old puppies can get naughty ... I don't think your pup is biting so much as "mouthing" you ... but you are right in that you need to do something to help your pup understand that ... mouthing or biting is wrong ...

At 3 months ... your pup is also starting to change teeth ... and that also can cause a pup to mouth more and chew ... you probably need to get your pup chew toys ...

There are several things you can do ...

(a) Start a proper training programme for your dog ... start with basic commands like recall, sit and stay ... this is the best way ... and in the course of training your dog, you will also be teaching the command "NO" ...

(b) Get a good dog training book (there are many in the bookshops) ... seriously, this will be of great help ... get your own book, several books if you can ... There is no short cut ... you have to spend the time to learn and then to train ... And learning to train the CORRECT way is very very important.

(c) In the meantime ... do a search on the threads in the forum - there is already much information ... what are good training books to buy ... mouthing & how to start training ... Use the Search Function above, to locate relevant threads ...

Nothing will prepare you like information & knowledge ... and the best way is to start reading and doing your own research ... the internet is full of information too ... And if you have specific problems or questions, you can come back and ask - am sure many forum members will be ready to help ...

Cheers Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my