Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Barks and Bites

MsKaren
New User

Dec 18, 2002, 6:28 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Barks and Bites Can't Post

I adopted a 5 month old Belgian Malinois/German Shepherd pup 5 months ago (he's about 10 months now). We also have a 3 year old Lab female. We're actually having a few problems. We believe he may have been abused or neglected. For example, when I feed him, he eats the food as fast as possible and then tries to eat the other dog's food if she takes her time. He is not food aggressive though.

Here's the first problem...He's stinky. I've never owned a shepherd before so I don't know if this is a normal thing or if there's something wrong with him. We give him frequent baths but the smell comes back a few days later. We've tried changing his food but that doesn't help. He also gets a weird odor when he's scared. It's quite nasty! If this is normal w/ shepherds can anyone recommend a good shampoo for this.

More importantly, we socialized him with people coming into the house and going to the dog parks. However, when people come into our home he barks at them and runs away. If they try to pet him he sometimes nips at them. He is just terrified. In every other respect though he is a VERY obedient dog.

I was wondering if anyone knew 1. how to make him more comfortable with people and 2. what I can do about the smell. BTW He eats his own poop too (I thought I was the only one with a weird dog)Tongue

Karen

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my