Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Teen Newbie

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Selina Law

Apr 11, 2004, 2:02 AM

Post #26 of 32 (326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Breeding [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've said that in my offense, then I can have no reply. Except this: Judge not the people, and you shall not be judged.

Selina

timchan

Apr 11, 2004, 7:52 PM

Post #27 of 32 (320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Selina Law] Breeding [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Dear Selina,

I have got nothing to say but would like to share with you something I stumble across over the internet and I believe these are the more valuable facts that you have to learn... I believe at your tender age, this is the best way you should learn...

extracted from http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/back_yard_breeders.htm

The back yard breeder is the single greatest cause of pet overpopulation. Back yard breeders usually do not have bad intentions, but the results of back yard breeding are devastating. The majority of purebred dogs come from this category in many popular breeds, as well as the majority of purebred dogs in rescue, or destroyed in pounds. Most are sold locally through newspaper ads - the responsibility ends when the purchaser's taillights disappear from sight. Many backyard breeders do not have the knowledge to properly raise a healthy, socialized litter, or to help the new owner with any problems that might arise.

Back yard breeders may act on a desire to make extra money, or simply out of ignorance. Sometimes back yard breeders will breed so "their children can experience the miracle of birth", or they mistakenly believe "every dog should have one litter." They may think their dog is so cute, he/she would make wonderful puppies, with little or no thought for the homes to which their puppies will go. Other back yard breeders see how much money legitimate breeders charge for pups and figure they could make some "easy money" too. Or, a back yard breeder may have a completely unplanned litter by accident.

Back yard breeders usually bring two breeding animals together regardless of their quality. They are not interested in scientific breeding. Their aim is to fulfill a personal need or goal, not to improve the breed and bring excellent quality dogs to the world. Since breed excellence is generally unimportant, the breeding dogs generally will not have been tested for genetic and health problems.

Back yard breeders are not necessarily bad people, they often come from middle to upper income families, and their dogs can be well loved and kept. However, getting a pup from a back yard breeder is a gamble:

• the parents likely have not been screened for health problems

• puppies usually are not sold with contracts

• the breeders are not in it for the long haul

They will be working on new personal objectives in five years when your pet has a problem and you need help.

Although you might pay less for the breed of your choice from a pet store or backyard breeder, it's almost a given that in the long run, you'll pay a good deal more in vet bills and perhaps emotional bills (if the dog has to be euthanized due to a health or temperament problem), than you would from a reputable breeder.

The following stats are American, but the percentages will be comparable in Canada:

Of the 52.9 million dogs who live in the United States, approximately 2.9 million of them are killed in shelters annually (AVMA, 1998, and AHA, 1998). Where do all these dogs come from? Puppy mills churn out 20% of the total number of dogs whelped yearly, and roughly 1% are the results of feral dogs reproducing on their own. Less than 12% come from breeders who actively test their stock in conformation, obedience, and field trials. Backyard breeders, or people who breed their dogs without testing and certifying their stock, produce nearly 67% of all the dogs born annually in this country (Gardner, 1994)1. You will not pay more for a pet quality puppy from a reputable breeder than one from a backyard breeder. Unfortunately, there are backyard breeders everywhere: in kennel clubs, advertising in the newspaper, and also in dog publications. The difference is that the ethical breeder has spent time and effort developing the healthiest, soundest, and most representative of the breed possible.

Letter to a Back Yard Breeder:

members.tripod.com/~RavenwoodDals/dearbyb.htm

Take a moment and consider...DO YOU REALLY WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO CONDITIONS SUCH AS THESE? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE EFFORT OF OVER-POPULATING THE CANINE WORLD? Venture on if the answer is YES...

1. http://www.petitblancmaltese.com/...ow%5B1%5D%20html.htm

2. http://www.petpalsforlife.org/puppymills.htm

3. http://www.c2cdr.org/puppymills.html

4. http://www.ospca.on.ca/puppy_mill.html

5. http://www.allbreed.net/chows/Adopt/NotFit.htm

If it is still YES, God bless...

yes...it is always easy to point fingers e.g. I don't think I breed irresponsible because the condition in my house is not like the above...(already judging). So, I think we better judge ourselves first...

minglmy,

let's not waste our time should we? If these articles can't get the message across, I do not know what will...Frown

Cheers!!Smile

(This post was edited by timchan on Apr 11, 2004, 8:19 PM)

Selina Law

Apr 11, 2004, 10:26 PM

Post #28 of 32 (315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timchan] Breeding [In reply to] Can't Post

yes...it is always easy to point fingers e.g. I don't think I breed irresponsible because the condition in my house is not like the above...(already judging). So, I think we better judge ourselves first...

What do you mean by that? Who is judging who?

And for all the articles, I've read them all. If there are such cases, why don't the authorities in those Countries ban Puppy Mills? I mean, all those, those are just plain inhumane...

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 12, 2004, 2:27 AM

Post #29 of 32 (314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timchan] Breeding [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Tim,

You didn't notice I couldn't be bother in answering ? a person who have already made/have all the "right" reason to breed will not be able to "listen" to other ideas which contradicts with what they believes in. This has always been the case and will always be the case no matter even if they say that they are open to listening. This is what I have noted from what was written from all the 'other's posting too.

Lets just enjoy our precious weekend time with our pet doggies.....

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Apr 12, 2004, 2:30 AM)

shawnlim
Canine Addict

Apr 16, 2004, 11:21 AM

Post #30 of 32 (304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Selina Law] Teen Newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

hie!!

welcome to the forum and do hv fun here.....
L@VIER

Selina Law

Sep 11, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #31 of 32 (295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shawnlim] Teen Newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I'd have fun here. If only there aren't 'know-it-all' people who doesn't have half the patient and heart to teach someone, rather, hurting other people's feelings just because they don't quiet understand.

But I thank those people who were kind enough to imply gently that I wasn't fit to be a breeder. Thank you.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2004, 4:58 PM

Post #32 of 32 (285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Selina Law] Teen Newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi welcome to the forum.

If you need help with breeding your shih tzu please feel free to ask. The tricky thing of breeding is when the female dog deliver the new puppies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my