Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Advices on getting a dog esp JRT

nairud
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2004, 1:50 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Advices on getting a dog esp JRT Can't Post

I'm planning get a dog soon...JRT especially. Any good advice anyone can give?

I'm stayin in a terrace house with a malay family bside my house and a chinese family on the other side.

I would like a dog that's active, obedient, gets me occupied and do funny stuffs with me. But then since i'm working from 9-5.30pm, i think i'll be keepin the potential dog in the house and when i come back from work, then only i'll be able to play with it. Another thing also i'm scared the dog will bark when i'm not at home during workin hours.

In the weekends, i got nothin to do most of the time. So, having a dog will get me occupied..

any advice

Join the JRT(Lil' Terrorist) Zone

Click me to join Piper in DogSter

Sorely missed, Grizzley and Whitey the Terrier

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2004, 9:06 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nairud] Advices on getting a dog esp JRT [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Glad to know that you are thinking about getting a dog ... Smile ... You mentioned ... "Grizzly, Whitey and Foxer" ... are they dogs or goldfishes??? ... *TongueBlushCrazy*... Okay, will assume this is gonna be your first dog ... And let you take it from there ...

You posted: " ... I would like a dog that's active, obedient, gets me occupied and do funny stuffs with me ..."

Well, a Jack Russell will do all that you wish and more ... and will certainly keep you occupied ... Tongue

But you also posted: "... But then since i'm working from 9-5.30pm, i think i'll be keepin the potential dog in the house and when i come back from work, then only i'll be able to play with it. Another thing also i'm scared the dog will bark when i'm not at home during workin hours ..."

Is there anyone at home when you are at work? If not, then maybe you might like to consider the following:

(A) The Jack is a very very intelligent dog ... it's also very very active ... with an extrovert personality ... The thing about extrovet dogs is that they do need to be kept occuppied and busy ... otherwise that very same intelligence and active personality which can be so much fun, can turn destructive in ways you cannot imagine ... Jacks don't really like being left alone ... They are beautiful dogs, but don't be misled by their size, they are pocket battleships on 4 legs ... With the right owner, they are wonderful ...

www.jackrussells.com/jrtinfo.html

www.canismajor.com/dog/jackruss.html

Quote: " ... Well let's start out by discussing who should NOT own a Jack. A person who lives alone, works more than six hours a day away from the home, and cannot or is unwilling to take the dog to work with them every day. Anyone with short patience and a quick temper ... Anyone who is "noise sensitive" ... Anyone who is unwilling to be inconvenienced by the little tornado about to come into their home. Anyone who does not have or is unwilling to COMMIT TIME, TIME, TIME, to this newest family member. And I am not just speaking of a few weeks or months but the rest of the Jack's life (12-16 years)! ... Anyone who is unwilling or unable to spend at LEAST an hour in the morning and an hour at night running the legs off your Jack Russell. And I'm not talking little, quiet walks around the neighborhood ... "

(B) I certainly respect very much your wish to keep your dog indoors ... that is great.

But if your dog is going to be left alone for long hours in a day ... you need to consider very carefully many issues, starting with your life style, your work schedule ... the breed that is most suited to your timing and schedule ... your neighbours ... and whether you wish to still have a home when you get back. Most Jacks do not cope well with being crated ... or tied up.

For a first time owner, living alone, working ... a Jack may not be the best choice ... maybe later when circumstances change ... but perhaps not yet ...

This site might be of some assistance ... www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm ...

It might be a good idea is to spend time with doggie people who have Jacks ... spend a Saturday with their Jacks ... and then decide how a Jack will fit into your life ...

Also check the threads on "petshops" and "responsible breeders" ... and why you should only get pups from good breeders.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Apr 2, 2004, 9:09 PM)

nairud
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2004, 10:09 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Advices on getting a dog esp JRT [In reply to] Can't Post

Those Grizzly, whitey and foxer are dogs..hehe...but then they are at my hometown and now i'm living in puchong...along with housemates. I really really want a JRT but then my housemates won't be at home for 4 months as they are having their industrail training soon. After their industrail training then only they'll be able to take care of it.

But most of the dog owners also workin la..so how they take car of their JRTs??? Will appreciate advice from workin ppl who owned JRTs. if not a JRT, i might consider taking a beagle Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1185 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Well ... many of us are lucky enough to have people at home while we go to work (the beauty and advantages of the extended Asian family Smile) ... so it's not so difficult ...

Just think it over carefully ... once you commit to a dog ... You also have to accept that the dog will permanently change your life & lifestyle ... If you don't accept that - then the dog is in trouble from day one.

A dog will affect everything in your life ... there is no way you can keep ANY dog as a "weekend dog" or "when I have time dog" ... A dog will affect your relationship with your housemates ... your relationship with your girl/boy friend etc etc ... You will have to think of your dog before you can plan anything else in your life ...

That's why its so important to pick a breed that suits your personality ... your time, tempo and schedule in life ...

If you really wish to have a Jack ... then the best suggestion I have is go and spend some serious time with a Jack ... Don't just read about Jacks on the net ... do some serious "real time" with a Jack ...

Jack Russells are wonderful dogs ... give yourself a chance to know Jacks ... before making your final decision ... And really, same same for a Beagle too ... or any breed ...

Cheers Smile

nairud
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2004, 11:14 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Advices on getting a dog esp JRT [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe....about gettin the dog, i'm not in a hurry. Not like i'm planning to get it in these 2/3 weeks. I can also wait until my frens finish their industrail training then only i'll get a dog.

About changing my lifesytle, i'm prepared for it. Coz all this time also i got rare dogs and i think it won't be a prob for me.

Will keep on looking for a good one. ;p

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Apr 3, 2004, 12:59 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Hi, nairud

It's good that you're seeking advice before getting a JRT. That's kudos to being a responsible dog owner. But bigger responsibility also, if you're getting an active dog. It's nice keeping a dog. We all wished that we could have a big house with dogs running about. Although you live in terrace house, keeping 1 dog is ok. BUT if you take in consideration that you're working 9 to 5 everyday, my best advice would be.....don't.

I don't mean to be the "pooper" to your enthusiasm in keeping a JRT. I love dogs (with a soft spot for Beagles, JRTs and GRs) and wished that I could come back from work to a happy dog that acted as though they haven't seen you for years although it's just 8 -9 hours. But I can't either coz I work 9 to 5, 5 days (sometimes 6) a week. Imagine keeping the dog the whole day in a crate/cage or tied up. It wouldn't be fair to the dog. Put yourself in the dog's shoes and see if you would like to be tied or caged up the whole day. If it were me, I'd go mad. Same thing goes with dogs.

Unless you have somebody at home to accompany the dog, think really, really, REALLY carefully before getting one. When getting a dog, always put the dog's interest at heart first more than anything else. Wink

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

junecheah

Apr 5, 2004, 10:31 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Hi nairud,

Here's some infos on JRT. I'm owner of a 5 month JRT. My JRT has a very bad separation anxiety, in detail, he don't like to be alone at all. Once he is left alone, he will cry out loduly non-stop till some one attend to him. But don't worry, not all JRT are like mine. You got to have the time to train them first before leaving alone during your working hour. JRT will be handful to your household. They are extremely hyper active and likes to play alot..

If you are able to cope with his hyper active style like daily exercise or entertaiment for them and his mischeavious behaviour, then you shouldn't have problem with it. Lastly, JRT are fun dog. You can never be bored with them...Sly

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my