Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Need help! how to stop doggie make noise?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Mar 31, 2004, 8:05 PM

Post #1 of 45 (6126 views)
Shortcut
Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? Can't Post

Hi All,

I need ur suggestion on how to reduce the volume of barking dog? I just adopt a three yrs old dog for 2 days onli, she make noice while we r not at home. My neighbour was complaint to us on her, i scared my another dog will follow her to make more noice. They cant take away one of them from me, and i cant stand if i will lose one of them.

Hope you can tell me ur experience on it.

Thank you so much...

Gillian

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 31, 2004, 10:37 PM

Post #2 of 45 (6122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gillian923] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gillian,

I think u have accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Do post this in the appropriate "Behaviour" thread instead to get response from members.

cheers,
minglmy

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Mar 31, 2004, 11:13 PM

Post #3 of 45 (6118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Minglmy,

Thank you for ur advise. I will open another post at Behaviour.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 1, 2004, 4:11 AM

Post #4 of 45 (6110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gillian923] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Luck !

cheers,
minglmy

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2004, 11:20 PM

Post #5 of 45 (6095 views)
Shortcut

i had the same problem, i guess its boredom and loneliness or even misses u. so as soon as i put in another dog, the problem stop, neighbour also said no more crazy barking.

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 2, 2004, 7:03 PM

Post #6 of 45 (6088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

Thank you for ur advise. Well, i actually got another dog accompany her. I guesws maybe she cant get used to the new environment, so she barking on it. I get some suggestion from member here, pet shops and vet. They advise me on open the radio for her, take some medician to reduce her stress, even the doctor advise me to do operation etc..walau...i guess wat i can do is try to open a radio for her first. If you want me to take the operation method, u kill me better. How can i do this to Ya Ya, operation to stop her barking leh..means cut her voice...i really cant make it...Pirate

scym1981
Novice

Apr 14, 2004, 4:28 PM

Post #7 of 45 (6031 views)
Shortcut

hi...

i think the very first things is to understand your dogs and try to analse what did your dog want!! its very important to know what your dogs want and need.... maybe its bark becoz of needy, frustrated or even sad... u should try to figure out 1st...

i too having the same problem but now no more... hehehe coz i have my secret weapon to fix their barking... i mean they still barking but understand them liao.... hehehe.... if you wanna know wat is the weapon then try to reply me and or u can oso send mail to me at scym_99@yahoo.com

u'll be suprise if you can understand them.... trust me!!! hehehehe
ho...ho...ho uncle toby is here!!!

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 16, 2004, 8:00 PM

Post #8 of 45 (6009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scym1981] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

The first week she came, she barking non stop becaz of she scared we leave her alone and also she cant get used to the new environment. But, now she still bark becaz of sound. Once she heard any sound, she will bark for the sound. i really need ur advise on this matter......

Thank you so much...

Gillian

scym1981
Novice

Apr 17, 2004, 2:18 AM

Post #9 of 45 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Crazy hehehe... actually dog bark due to sound is bcoz of their curiousity... and might be their think that the sound will do harm to them.... actually, i too face this problem and i really wat the matter my dog is barking.. after i purchase the bark translator from canada then i started to know what my dog bark for... the devices really help me a lot... i get to know that sometime its want something either play or food or anything else it will bark a different kind of sound... like for your dog, it must be bcoz of the sound that annoyed it. can i know wat sound that react your dog?

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 17, 2004, 6:21 PM

Post #10 of 45 (6006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scym1981] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

U bought the bark translator from Canada ! how u get it ?from internat or frens? Actually i do search for the Barking devices, which they bark automaticaly the sound will change to other frequency and ppl wont hear it.

My dog bark for nothing, caz i try to find out the reason y she bark. I tot she bark for food or play or even others, which actually she bark when ppl pass by,bark for new comer, bark for stranger and even bark for ppl open door n some other sounds....So i confirm that she not bark for food or play. When we play iwth her or my another dog play with her or during makan time, she will suddenly bark for ppl pass by or sound tat made by other ppls...so i really wonder wat happen with her..

Thank you for ur advise.....Smile

scym1981
Novice

Apr 18, 2004, 12:36 AM

Post #11 of 45 (5997 views)
Shortcut

Wink hehehe... good to say u have a nice guard dog for your home....

dogs are usually very sensitive... hehehe... even my dogs will bark for hell even a flies fly over his head...

its nothing unusual for this.. can i know how old is your dog and wat breed? coz i know somebreed will not bark so much but somewill!!! my dog too bark like nobody business and even children are laughing while playing then my dog also bark.... he want to join them!!! so try to think in the positive side as your dog its very allert of surrounding, it not a bad thing anyway just try to calm your dog down with some snack if you come across with your dog barking non stop....

the bark device is to get to know your dog well and understand ur dog wnats and need as if your dog is talking to you... i will as my cousin sis to buy back to malaysia and hopefully by that time u might need it then you can contact me also... its very useful as if you know wa your dog is talking....

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 19, 2004, 10:56 PM

Post #12 of 45 (5987 views)
Shortcut

hahah...yup u r rite i got a nice guard at home. Well, Mon mon is a spritz crossed and Ya Ya is Pomenarian. Mon mon is abt 10mths dog and Ya Ya is abt 3 yrs dog...so i believe pom is those noisy doggies rite? No use to give her a snakc when she barking, caz i been tried quite many times. Wat my husband do is when she bark give her a punishment, when she stop barking then give her a snack or treat...

I lived at apartment, so i really worried that ppl will complain then ban to having pets at home...so this is y reason i hope ya ya can stop barking ....

scym1981
Novice

Apr 20, 2004, 2:44 AM

Post #13 of 45 (5985 views)
Shortcut

Wink i think theres a way to help you and train your dog frm barking nonstop... i heard of a product namely bark control collar. there are two types of collar in the market, the anti shock collar and also the shock collar... actually this two product is effective due to wat type of dogs u got... The anti shock collar rite, will only give a stern sound to your dog when your dog is barking. just for example when your dog bark, then the colar will come out with a sound to scold your dog.... just like someone monitoring your dogs. Another type is the shock collar, for which it will have a very very little voltage to give shock to your dog when your dog is barking excessively. the voltage is very low so don't worry, this invention is just to prevent dog from barking and not to destroy ur dogs.... hehehe....

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 20, 2004, 11:42 PM

Post #14 of 45 (5979 views)
Shortcut

I heard that collar before, but onli can get from Singapore. Anyway, i decided to buy the Dog barking devices, at least wont hurt my dog. Once they tired on barking, they will understanding early morning we will go for work. Although she bark non stop still no one will attend her, therefore she will noticed abt morning time cant bark, bark also no used. Wat i scared is, the product cant last for long, and also the plug of the devices not suit to our electric plug...so a bit worried...

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2004, 12:01 AM

Post #15 of 45 (5976 views)
Shortcut

gillian,

A friend from UK did bring back a bark collar with him. It emits an annoying sound for the dog once he barks and after studying it, it is quite humane. The dog can still bark as a greeting to you but he will not bark for no reason as the sound dont hurt them, just annoy them. I find it quite useful and it works.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

(This post was edited by PSD on Apr 21, 2004, 12:06 AM)

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 21, 2004, 8:14 PM

Post #16 of 45 (5956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear PSD,

Thank you for your advising. if you dont mind, where ur fren get the bark collar ?How much he paid if you dontmind to tell me? if possible i also want to buy one for my Ya Ya.

Gillian

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2004, 9:05 PM

Post #17 of 45 (5955 views)
Shortcut

gillian,

Actually he got for me along with loads of other equipments and now I'm having trouble to sort out which cost what.Tongue

If you can mail me so that we can get in touch about the equipment when I know the cost which should be anytime soon. Or u can give me your mail addy.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 22, 2004, 5:33 PM

Post #18 of 45 (5944 views)
Shortcut

PSD,

Thank you for ur help. Last nite, Ya Ya bark non stop, i really duno wat she bark. I open door for her to walk, give thing to eat n drink, give everything, she still bark with nothing....i kepala pening la...not enough slp last nite.

My email add is gillian923@hotmail.com. U r welcome to email me anytime...

Gillian

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 22, 2004, 9:18 PM

Post #19 of 45 (5940 views)
Shortcut

gillian,

U have to be careful how to treat a barking doggie as wrong way will make u a noiser hell hound. For the basics always remind yourself that behaviour that leads to rewards will always show itself more while behaviour that is not reinforced/leads to failure will reduce and dissapear. Try to understand this sentence as it is a very powerful basics in handling dogs.

Now to apply this sentence to your barking problem. Would like to put it as simple for you to understand. for example
  1. The dog barks u give food......to the dog means barks is good so the behaviour just got reinforced.
  2. The dog barks u let him out.....to the dog barks gets to be free so the behaviour hets reinforced.
  3. The dog barks u give food and let him out and walk him around the neighbouthood n suchs.....to the dog barks means WOW! Maga rewards heading my way....hehehehe

Hope u get the points. So the key to solving this is to let the dog knows that barks leads to no success, keeping quiet will lead him to success. How do u do this? There is 1001 ways of doing it and it all depends on how bad is the problem. I would just lead the general method but mind you it is not the only method.
  1. always only let the dog out when he is calm n quiet and not while jumping around and barking.
  2. dog always gets to eat his meal when he is calm n quiet
  3. dog always gets to walk in the neighbourhood with you when he is calm n quiet. If he is barking away then just stop walking until he calms down then move again.
  4. always rewards for calm and quiet and noise makes no success for the dog.

Those are basic ground rules which is designed to make the dog start to think what leads to success and what is not. However I would like to confuse u further by mentioning that Barking is a drive satisfying act in itself meaning barking itself to a dog a success. So a barking dog if the behaviour isnt controlled when puppyhood may become a hell barker and barks for the sake of barking alone for hours.

In such instance u have to use a bit of tweaking to the dog that rather than barking leads to no success, now u have to let the dog learn that barking will bring discomfort. there are few ways that u can apply this.
  1. U can throw an object which will catch the dog by surprise and the bark will stop. He barks again and the object comes flying from the sky. U can use the cola cans to good effect, water bottles. etc. Just stock them up where u or anyone normally are so that it is within reach when the barks are heard. The rules is that the dog must not see that u are the one throwing the cans. We want the dog to know that bark brings cans from the sky. Otherwise the dog will also learn u there can will come, u not there I can bark till the cow come homeTongue. The plus point in this method is that it is cheap to use and works wonders. The negative point is that u have to be always there to enforce it at least for the 1st week or more until the behaviour stop.
  2. U can get a device like anti bark collar and everytime he barks the high piched sound come on and irritate him. He learns to better stop barking. This will be effective even if u are not there. The plus point is that it is easy to use without much hassle and u dont have to build much muscle of throwing cans...hahahah ...the negative point is technology comes with a price tag.

After the above, of course a tired dog is a good dog. Do make sure your dog have enough excercise to vent his energy. Otherwise, all these energy will remain in him and comes out withn a bark. So take your dog to a good walk and spent his daily energy so he may have a good night sleep.Laugh

Hope u can understand my ramblings.

PSD

ashley
ALPHA

Apr 22, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #20 of 45 (5934 views)
Shortcut

hi !! where can i get the bark collar , and how much it cost.

i really pening to my siaw poh like to bark , bark , and bark.....Frown

may be try the way u teach . Any other way ?? Unsure
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 22, 2004, 11:53 PM

Post #21 of 45 (5933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ashley,

Why not u try the way I posted first. If you cant do that then we can see how best to get you the bark collar to try out.

Smile

PSD

ashley
ALPHA

Apr 24, 2004, 1:39 AM

Post #22 of 45 (5918 views)
Shortcut

Halo, i yesterday try to do lia. can work also. but must try n try again.

But one thing funny is , u say dont let the dog see when we throwing the can. So i need to look at them 1st baru throw. cos i got 6 dogs, if not careful sure one of them know. " ha ha is mummy buang eh " bark agian " FrownUnsurePirateLaughSly
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Apr 24, 2004, 6:35 PM

Post #23 of 45 (5915 views)
Shortcut

PSD,

Wat we practiced was she bark we punish her. She bark non stop we will either scold her or punish her and put her one side. So, everytime she bark we scold she will stop. SInce we need to go for work, therefore we can use the cans method and i may suggest to use the anti colar bark.

I agreed with ur statement, which reward n punish to reinforced their behaviour. Due to the reason that my dog is quite old , she is already 3 yrs old and difficult to train her if her previous owner allow her to bark. When we adopted her already 3 yrs, if her behaviour already set by previous owner, we r difficult to amend her behaviour unless we have to be more patient to change her behaviour.

Wat u said is every useful, so i have to try all the method you intro and i will let u know the result

Thank you for ur advise

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 26, 2004, 6:21 PM

Post #24 of 45 (5900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Need help! how to stop doggie make noise? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ashley,

Hehehehhe! Yah hor? Never thought of it that u have all 6 critters running all over...hahahah. Well U must also be able to differentiate the reason for them barking. Some are not fair to control for instance barking at strangers or strange thretening sounds. These are natural instincts. Another is calling u cause he is at the verge of doing his business already...or barking for food. What we wanted to control is incessant barking even though valid reasons for them to bark in the first place had been removed.

Well best to control the barking on each one dog independently rather than all of them together. Cause the reason of them barking my be inviting a play or defending from a rough domination and wont be fair to control that.Smile

Once u are good at the art of can throwing.....u will get better arms muscle along the way...lolSly

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Apr 26, 2004, 6:36 PM

Post #25 of 45 (5898 views)
Shortcut

Gilian,

Hard to write an accurate reading based on vivif description but just to make it the easiest, would like to reflect on you some of the basics where it will help u read the situation better.
  • the word punish, scold, put her one side can be quite subjective as it could also mean attention given to the barking dog. To a lonely dog, what could be an important factor in his head is he barks he gets attention. Negative attention is still better than no attention. U have to see if this is the case and usually if what u have been doing all these while does not work then this statement could be true.
  • 3 years old dog needs to be given more time and understanding. The reason being, 3 years of showing that behaviour and thinking that it was right isnt going to be so easily stopped in 3 days. An experienced person with the right training concepts, practise n tool can make it happen in 2-3 months along with OB control work. Some lesser some longer than that depending on the dog n the skill of the trainer.

Dog training is a matter of patience, timing and common sense. We have to be fair to them yet firm n consistent. This means no barks means no barks and not oh let him bark this time and not that time under same circumstances which will confuse the dog. Reward for being quiet n calm. Witholding reward when he gets charged up crazy in itself is a punishment.

Also always try out the verse "A tired dog is a good dog" go walk your dog everyday and see the diff. It does help greatlySmile

Do let us know how your dog progresses.

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Apr 26, 2004, 6:37 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my