Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 4:09 PM

Post #1 of 59 (2363 views)
Shortcut
Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy Can't Post

My sister-in law just delivered a 3 weeks old puppy to us. According to her the puppy has been weaned. I never have any experience of taking care of such a young puppy before. Could anyone tell me what should I feed her with? When can I start to bath her? Thanks.

(This post was edited by May on Mar 29, 2004, 4:16 PM)

cutieb78

Mar 29, 2004, 6:44 PM

Post #2 of 59 (2360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Don't despair. I'm no expert but weaning process can start at 3 weeks. Since the little pup is with u now, here's what u might want to do.

Puppy can start eating solids that have been made soft. You can start to introduce them to special made puppy food that is moistened. (i think they still need mothers milk untill they r abt 5 weeks). A healthy puppy should be able to start taking solids at 3 weeks. Feed puppy 3 times a day untill they are six months. (just add water to dry pupy food to make it easier to digest)

I think the puppy still needs mums milk. See if you could find any milk formula for puppies at the pet store. Ask a breeder who might have such experience. I see this often on some discovery channel. Normal human baby formula may not be suitable though. Do check with a vet if possible. (remember to bring the pup for check up too)Wink

Cheers,
@@
(",)
Hugs n kisses from Grace n Penny
(Grace + Clifton-->Penny 15/11/03)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 6:54 PM

Post #3 of 59 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cutieb78] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

The puppy has been weaned from mother's milk as the bitch does not produce enough milk for the litter. Currently I'm feeding her with evaporated milk but for every 3 hours. He doesn't know how to lick from the the bowl but is getting better now.

I thought of getting a can of puppy formula but don't have any idea which brand is recommended and how much it cost. Can anyone help me? Should I buy from petshop or the vet clinic?

cutieb78

Mar 29, 2004, 7:29 PM

Post #4 of 59 (2354 views)
Shortcut

I've heard of feeding evaporated milk. Its a good step. Others feed with goats milk. Instead of licking the bowl you could buy the feeding bottle with soft teats. I'm sure some pet stores carry them. I've seen them before. I'm sure the puppy is doing fine licking from a bowl since its getting better at it.

Getting a puppy formula from a pet shop is fine but would you know which one is suitable. Getting from a vet would be best cause they would recommend you the best possible to ensure the survival of your pup.

Cheers,
@@
(",)
Hugs n kisses from Grace n Penny
(Grace + Clifton-->Penny 15/11/03)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 7:37 PM

Post #5 of 59 (2352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cutieb78] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt feeding the pup with evaporated milk as it doesn't contain much nutrition. I'll try to call the vet today and find out from him about the puppy formula. In the meantime, would appreciate it very much it those experience members would recommend me with the right puppy formula and it price.

Thanks.

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 29, 2004, 7:52 PM

Post #6 of 59 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Hi May , for 3 weeks puppy u need to more concern. Feed the puppy by using feeding botol, u can bought the puppy milk powder from vet.

Puppy need a warm enviroment. so dont bath the puppy yet. U need to help the puppy to pee n poo. So what u can do is use a warm cloth to wipe that part. so that the puppy only know how to pee n poo. Take care a puppy is not a easy job. Good Luck. Smile
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 8:08 PM

Post #7 of 59 (2348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ashley!!!!

Long time never chat with you edi Smile. How are you? Almost forgot you have experience in raising puppy.

Which brand of puppy milk powder you get from the vet? How much? I called the vet today but they are closed on Monday Frown. The puppy will pee on its own especially after taking a nap but never poo lar. Maybe only drink evaporated milk so no poo lor.

I plan to brin her to the vet for vaccination when he's 6 weeks old and feed her moist kibble when he's about 5 weeks old. OK ar? When I can bath him ar?

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2004, 8:18 PM

Post #8 of 59 (2347 views)
Shortcut

agree with ashley that you need to get the milk powder from the vet. its going to take time and patience to teach the pup to drink and eveen teh basic pee n poo.

what ashley shared on the warm cloth to aid in pee and poo is very effective.

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 29, 2004, 8:38 PM

Post #9 of 59 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Hi May , u still remember me Tongue. Got a new member for ur baby.Wink

She take milk not mean she wont poo. So u need more patient to wipe her poo poo part. If too long time never poo will cause the puppy die. Another thing when u make the milk for the puppy, dont put tooo much powder. It will make the puppy's poo very hard.

I not sure the brand, but if u cant get from vet, u can bought from pet shop. Ask for good nutrient milk powder. The feeding bottol u can get from pet shop too.

If u wan feed her kibble. moist the kibble until soft. Than only u feed her. Regarding take bath, normally i only let them take bath after 7 week. but every day i will use warm coth to wipe their body. Laugh
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #10 of 59 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your advice Smile.

Nope....this pup is not going to be my baby playmate. My baby is staying with my mum and this puppy is staying with my mother in-law and I'm the babysitter since I'm the only one with experience having dog. Since the vet is closed today, I'll go the petshop to get the milk powder.

I'll try to wipe "that part" tonight and hopefully he will poo poo Sly.

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #11 of 59 (2339 views)
Shortcut

I just came back from the petshop and bought a packet of milk powder, 400g, for RM6.00. The staff said it's suitable for both adult dogs and puppies. Ok ar? Wonder why so cheap? The composition is as below:-

Milk Fat 21%

Protein 30%

Lactose 40%

Minerals 6%

Moisture 3%

Another brand she recommended is M*ik-o-D*g, 200g for RM28.00. Wonder why this so expensive pulak? Did I bought the right one ar?

(This post was edited by May on Mar 29, 2004, 10:21 PM)

annjou
K9 Maniac

Mar 29, 2004, 10:33 PM

Post #12 of 59 (2333 views)
Shortcut

hi may,
congrate!!Smile
beside having a good milk powder, the way u bottle feed the puppy is as important...always feed the puppy wif tummy down (i.e. the puppy tummy facing down); dont ever feed like feeding human baby (i.e. tummy facing up). if u feed like human baby..tis will cause the water 2 flow out the nose & down 2 the liver....tis is fatal...
hehehe....pupy usually very sly..tey like 2 popo/pepe at ppl hand...i kena alot ored....Tongue
after each meal ..u can try soothe the tummy (again the pupy shod face down while doin tis) of the pupy 2 make them popo if tey dont do it themself...Smile
good luck & take good care of yorself so u can take good care of them........

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 10:44 PM

Post #13 of 59 (2328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annjou] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I guess I'm abit lucky as the little puppy is learning on how to lick its milk from the bowl but he drink so little and after that he'll sleep for about 3 hours.

Any advice on the milk powder I just bought this afternoon? I don't know whether is it really suitable for the little puppy as it is so cheap.

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 29, 2004, 10:46 PM

Post #14 of 59 (2328 views)
Shortcut

I not sure what brand i bought. Than i ask the Dr he told me , that powder i bought is make from soya . Crazy

May be u can try to look for goat milk powder. Blush
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 10:49 PM

Post #15 of 59 (2325 views)
Shortcut

I oredi bought the milk powder but just curious why so cheap only Crazy. Goat milk powder lagi susah nak cari lar...Frown

annjou
K9 Maniac

Mar 29, 2004, 10:57 PM

Post #16 of 59 (2323 views)
Shortcut

sorry , i m not tooo good wif the milk ingrediantBlush
but as far as i know ...as long as the pupy is acceting the milk (no watery popo) then tat shid b ok...Smile
but tere is a breder told me once..dont drink milk wif lactose...not good he said....

ashley
ALPHA

Mar 29, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #17 of 59 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Hi May , may be u let the puppy try the milk, if she doing well than will be ok. Dont worry. Smile

Kept her sleeping place warm , dont bath her ok !! Cool
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

May
Old Hand

Mar 29, 2004, 11:28 PM

Post #18 of 59 (2318 views)
Shortcut

Arh!!!!!! Really ar???? But the packing said suitable for adult dogs and puppies....hmmm...I'm confuse oredi. Any expert out there could clear my confusion??? TQ.

annjou
K9 Maniac

Mar 30, 2004, 12:05 AM

Post #19 of 59 (2314 views)
Shortcut

did u check the ingredient /not?? does it have lactose??
if u still concern..then check wif the vet...tat shod b the safest (i tink)Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #20 of 59 (2311 views)
Shortcut

May,

Commercially milk is categorised into cow milk, soya milk and goat milk. Cow milk is not the best suitable for puppies while Goat milk is easier digestable by puppies. Soya milk is given when some puppies developed intollerant in other milk type.

Some supermarket or pharmacies have goat milk on sale which is human grade. These cost from RM24-30 per 400gms.

I will usually not use the pet quality cow milk which is what u got for RM6/400gms. Pet quality often means not suitable for human consumption.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

May
Old Hand

Mar 30, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #21 of 59 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Lactose 40% lar Frown......I call the vet but the clinic closed today. I thought I can feed the puppy with the milk powder today Frown.

annjou
K9 Maniac

Mar 30, 2004, 12:17 AM

Post #22 of 59 (2308 views)
Shortcut

well no harm give them a try....the breeder may b wrong...Tongue ...2morrow only ask the vet also can...juz c if tey popo watery....

May
Old Hand

Mar 30, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #23 of 59 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice.

I have decided to return the packet to the petshop.

JolinG
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 1:46 AM

Post #24 of 59 (2301 views)
Shortcut

hey 3 weeks is certainly TOoooo young for the pup to be weaned off.......
u should get a puppy formula from any pet shop....
i personally use miko brand but their are many other brands u can use......according to ur budget.
...on the puppy formula tin there is instructions on the intervals u should feed the puppy.

u dont need to bath the puppy just yet.....just give him a wipe eveyrday with warm water n towel

May
Old Hand

Mar 30, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #25 of 59 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JolinG] Help!!!! I have a 3 weeks old puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I agreed with you that 3 weeks is too young to wean off but the bitch don't produce enough milk for the puppies. Yesterday I feed the puppy with moist kibbles and he certainly loves it. Is it ok if I feed him only with moist kibbles and without the puppy formula?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my