Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to avoid thief poisoning the dog

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 23, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1239 views)
Shortcut
How to avoid thief poisoning the dog Can't Post

Can anyone advise how to avoid a thief poisoning the dog? I just heard from my friend that his neighbours (6 houses in a row) have german shepherds, rottweilers and etc all were poison at the same time and all vomitted and died the following day. They found donuts with poison and some were actual meat with poison.
Can anyone advise? The neighbour now have new dogs but they put the muzzle on while at night to avoid the dog from eating the poison food.

I let my dog run loose at night outside my yard as my dog don't like to be caged during the night. I prefer to let him loose, pity the fellow if i were to lock him in the cage.

Any advice. My mother won't allow me to let the dog inside the house at night while we are sleeping. As mine is a good guard dog and he really diligent in guarding the yard, I let him loose. He goes to the back yard, and front porch frequently. He has few thousand square feet to run around - i guess he should be happy in the yard rather than in the crate. Any advice?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 11:26 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] How to avoid thief poisoning the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

a few tips

1. when feeding your dog treats always feed off from your left hand.

2. or feed your dog from bowls only, never from hand.

3. only allow family members to offer food. don't let him accept food from strangers... even friendly ones.

there's no sure way to prevent this, which is why many dogs are poisoned every month by theives or angry neighbours. i guess that's a chance you have to take if you seriously do need your dog to patrol around the house at night.

if you really are worried then you might want to consider not letting him loose at night. perhaps confine him to your backyard only... at least he still get some space to roam about.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] How to avoid thief poisoning the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice.
Last week, a thief cuts open my fence. This is the 3rd time. My backyard faces the backyard of another house. No roads in between. What happens if my whole family go for holiday. He will not eat anything from anyone ? How should I train? Thanks.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 24, 2004, 12:13 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1231 views)
Shortcut

hi

send him to a good boarding kennel. or find someone your dog knows well to feed.

or buy a food dispenser if you're only off for a short break.

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 24, 2004, 8:33 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] How to avoid thief poisoning the dog [In reply to] Can't Post

how long can a food dispenser last? how about water? my dog likes to overturn his water bowl and rice bowl.

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Mar 26, 2004, 5:04 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1218 views)
Shortcut

how long have you kept this dog of yours as a pet?

my dad trained my collie from a very young age. we alwiz feed her with a bowl, and before she gets to eat, she has to wait for a command from anyone of us who is feeding her, like "OK! Eat" . Then only she will eat her food, or not, she'll just sit there and look at us.. not sure if this way would work, but it work well for me...

-my DoGs And I-
LaSSie, CynDy aNd CheSteR

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my