Strange Behaviour

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 21, 2004, 8:03 AM

Post #1 of 3 (794 views)
Shortcut
Strange Behaviour Can't Post

HI,
It's my third day of adopting a ridgeback dog. Today, I am so happy to be able to train the dog to sit. It's 8 months old when the previous owner gave it to me. I gave the dog some real meat as small treat and make him to sit first before giving him. It works! Is this the correct way to train the dog. I gave him a lot of praise after that. One thing I cannot overcome is when I talk him for a walk. At certain times, he just refuse to move. Most of the time it is in the middle of the road. I'm wondering, it's my dog trying to commit suicide because the previous owner doesn't want him anymore? There is no way for me to make him move. I pulled the leash, push him with my two hands, he just refuse to move. I pull leash and he will pull back. Can anyone advise?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 22, 2004, 10:25 PM

Post #2 of 3 (786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] Strange Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Using treats & praise is good ... RRs respond best to positive training methods ...

On the other hand, trying to force a RR to do something it does not want to do ... is not such a good idea ... Pulling on a leash is unplesant and uncomfortable for the dog - it is "aversive" ... and that does not work so good on RRs. RRs do not respond well to adversive training ...

Your RR will also grow into a big powerful dog ... and you will discover that pitching your strength against an RR is not wise ... You are just going to accidentially train your RR, that he is both stronger and faster than you ... that may not be a good idea.

I suggest the following:

(A) First, train your RR to "come" on command ... Teach and train "come & recal"l again and again ... until the command and training are really grounded ...

(B) Then when your RR refuses to move, you can use the "come & recall" command to get your dog moving again ...

Check the forum for the following threads: (1) How to teach come & recall ... (2) How to encourage a dog to walk & heel ...

Please ... get a good training book now ... This is the best time to learn and start training your RR properly ...

And do remember ... RRs are very independant & intelligent dogs ... but they are not German Shepherds or Dobers ... RRs do not like long intensive training sessions, they get bored with repititions ... So, keep your training sessions short and sweet ... you can have several short sessions in a day ... but avoid long lengthy sessions ...

Cheers Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 5:16 AM

Post #3 of 3 (781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] Strange Behaviour [In reply to] Can't Post

my kinki girl also tends to sit in the middle of the road and refuse to move, but this will only happen when we are leading back to home. i think its because she got not enough walk and refuse to go home.

when i starts to bring her out of the house, she'll run out happily.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my