Prisoners of Greed

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2004, 9:34 PM

Post #1 of 29 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Prisoners of Greed Can't Post

for the truth about puppymills...pls click on this link.

http://www.hua.org/...ners/Puppymills.html

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2004, 11:27 PM

Post #2 of 29 (2198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

broke my heart when i saw that....

i wonder how is the situation here?

the pet shop conditions are quite sad. fancy having seen a 5 weeks old pug the other day...so i gave my card to the chap who bought the pug...only to receive a call from the new owner a week later that his doggie had diedFrownFrownMad

i can see rather indiscriminate breeding of dogs amongst many owners too...people just don't use their thinking cap that if their furkid is really not well..skin probs etc, why breed? to me the answer of wanting a piece of my furkid in another generation is a rather bad answer...quite upsetting..

of course some even have the cheek to have the thoughts " i am trying to make some funds for my furkid's living expenses!"...of course i doubt that they would have the guts to say it out.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....MadMad

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 29 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

no idea how's the situation over here...maybe about the same? hopefully it's not much worse...Unsure

most ppl really dunno what's the main purpose of breeding and they are not aware that they are contributing to the ever growning abandoned dogs population. of course every dog owner would want an offspring from our dogs...it's something sentimental. but they should really think about the consequences before saying something like that. even worse are those who think they can make a quick buck by selling puppies. but the truth is, it's not cheap to breed at all....the stud fee, the health checks, the vaccination...not to mention the time and effort and responsibility for each and every pup born... ppl should really think twice about breeding...and find out if their pups are of sound health and temperament.

but i think the main prob we have is the puppymillers that churn out lots of unhealthy pups to petshops. and the condition they keep their dogs in. sigh...when ever can the buying stop?

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2004, 8:31 PM

Post #4 of 29 (2179 views)
Shortcut

it takes 2 to tango...no buyer..no seller.

the other way...no seller no buyer...

aaa...the authority must act on itlar...even the cats are also misbred these days.Frown

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 4:29 AM

Post #5 of 29 (2174 views)
Shortcut

yeah....that is the case lah....Frown

cats can breed even more frequently....the situation is so bad...

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 5:57 PM

Post #6 of 29 (2172 views)
Shortcut

sad situation but sadly no one seems to be doing anthing...

no enforcement etc...Frown

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 7:59 PM

Post #7 of 29 (2170 views)
Shortcut

yeah...Unsure can we come up with anything to bring awareness on this?

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 10:37 PM

Post #8 of 29 (2166 views)
Shortcut

needs a comm proper per se.

i did write a letter once to dr m. just to express mt frustrations...nothing came out of it. but if we could start off by penning letters in the newspapers, i think that is something to begin with.

i have dropped a mail to the hitz.fm team to talk about pets and responsibility on their programme. am not too sure whether it will be taken up...i mean msians rather take such "sensitive" issues on the surface only.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 26, 2004, 3:22 AM

Post #9 of 29 (2160 views)
Shortcut

OMG ! this is soooo sad Shocked thanks for posting this up n opening our eyes to more details on puppymillers, backyard breeder's activities..

cheers,
minglmy

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2004, 4:51 AM

Post #10 of 29 (2156 views)
Shortcut

it's good that you're sending in mails to the radio stations and even to dr. m...but i doubt that they'll do anything about it if they're not animal lovers in the first place.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2004, 4:51 AM

Post #11 of 29 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

no prob...just glad to reveal the truth. Smile

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 27, 2004, 8:05 PM

Post #12 of 29 (2147 views)
Shortcut

haven't heard it on air yet but i'm keeping my fingers crossed as a couple of them are pet lovers...but to what extend. i really don't know.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 27, 2004, 8:26 PM

Post #13 of 29 (2146 views)
Shortcut

oh good then...maybe we all should bombard the stations and the newspapers with letters. i've also been thinking of writing about being a responsible pet owner but i dunno how to start..

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 27, 2004, 8:26 PM

Post #14 of 29 (2146 views)
Shortcut

oh good then...maybe we all should bombard the stations and the newspapers with letters. i've also been thinking of writing about being a responsible pet owner but i dunno how to start..

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #15 of 29 (2141 views)
Shortcut

it would be good if everyone could start writing to the papers or even the radio stations to stir up some hidden emotions in people.

it is good enuf to even start amongst our community of friends. like the friends that i have...some have even started out adopting from paws and spca rather than to buy off a breeder or pet shop...it all starts from a small mustard seedSmile

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 9:24 PM

Post #16 of 29 (2130 views)
Shortcut

yes...that's a good start...we should start from friends...and then to the stations and newspapers....let ppl know the truth about all of this. i think the star did a supplement paper on pets once...not too long ago....it's only 4 pages and nothing much on it. i was expecting some articles on being responsible and all that but there were none. instead there were advertisements on the petshops and what breeds they were selling there....man.....CrazyUnsure

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #17 of 29 (2127 views)
Shortcut

biasalah...they can only touch on the surface. anything moer might not make it past the editor and all the red tape etc.

so what else should they do...make money. sell ad space!...i sound so cruel....but that is how i feel.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 11:36 PM

Post #18 of 29 (2125 views)
Shortcut

yeah i agree with you...but the papers is one of the best ways to eduate ppl right? if they would only publish articles on these then it'll help tremendously in our efforts to let ppl know the truth about puppymills. Unsure

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 1:55 AM

Post #19 of 29 (2122 views)
Shortcut

better if it comes with a famous personality supporting the cause.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 3:49 AM

Post #20 of 29 (2121 views)
Shortcut

yeah....definitely....who can we "hire" ah?? ehhehehe...Laugh

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 6:49 PM

Post #21 of 29 (2116 views)
Shortcut

still looking.

anyone in mind? i may call up elaine daly. she loves minpins and had one that got run over some years back.

i'll try to get some friends to hook up with jlo. hmmm...we have a membeer on board who's doing entertainment....let me hook up with him over the weekend.

kesuke
Doggyman

Apr 1, 2004, 11:17 PM

Post #22 of 29 (2106 views)
Shortcut

wow really? great!! i can't think of any names right now....any local celebrities or DJs?? how about ng ngai yuen? one of the host of 3R....she's very outspoken...maybe she likes dogs?? Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2004, 2:12 AM

Post #23 of 29 (2102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi people ...

Been following this thread for a bit ...

For whatever it's worth ... Fortunately, the puppy milling situation in this country is not as bad as ... say USA ... UK ... or even Australia ...

Unfortunately that's not because we are more humane or kind ... but because the market for pets in this country does not yet justify puppy mills on the scale that can be found elsewhere ...

It is also worthwhile noting that even so-called developed countries have difficulty controlling puppymillers ... For example, in the USA, legalised dog racing alone creates thousands of unwanted puppies ...

Why is so little done about puppy milling? ...

Well, I would suggest that there are 3 primary factors that make it difficult to control puppy milling ...

(A) Insufficient laws:

A lack of sufficient laws defining "cruelty to animals" in a manner that makes it possible or easier to prosecute puppy millers ...

Puppy millers feed their dogs (maybe not well, but they do feed), they also provide minimum medical care, minimum management, minimum shelter ... etc ... and often, puppy millers do not cross over the line drawn by current laws defining "cruelty to animals".

For example: They do not experiment on dogs, mostly they do not beat or starve dogs ... etc ... Afterall, even puppy millers need their puppies to look cute and furry ...

Question: Then why haven't people changed the laws?

The difficulty arises because drawing up laws that would make puppy milling illegal would also probably end-up making poultry farming and many other forms of animal husbandry illegal ... In reality, poultry ... pigs ... some forms of cattle husbandry ... etc are carried out under conditions no better and often worse than puppy milling. And law makers/governments have a tough time balancing the situation ...

(B) Priorities:

In this world, whether right or wrong - puppy milling sits pretty low on the list of "things to do".

Humanity and human society as a whole, have great challenges before them ... as long as we are incapable of tackling issues like starvation and malnutrition ... war and poverty ... racial and cultural prejudice ... destruction of the environment ... the killing to extinction of animals ... what chance puppy milling?

(C) General apathy:

Suggestions have been made that we petition for support ...

In that light, I post my thoughts ...

(i) Am I ready and prepared to identify the locations of puppy millers and their puppy farms?

(ii) Am I ready and prepared to collect evidence of the puppy millers' cruelty to the puppies and dogs? Real evidence, not just what I have heard or what others tell me ... Videos? Photos? Recorded statements?

(iii) Am I ready and prepared to stand up and formally identify puppy millers and their cruel practices?

Am I ready to stand and point my finger and say ... "YOU" are a puppy miller ... and "YOU" are cruel to dogs ... and then be prepared to willingly accept the consequences that will surely flow from such a position? ... The person accused will not readily just roll-over and admit wrongdoing.

Am I prepared to make the scarifices and pay the price required and commensurate with such a stance? Am I ready to commit?

Because without such commitment, it will be difficult to even prove that puppy milling exists in this country.

And if I cannot, will not or dare not commit, can I blame others for not listening? ... How then do I find or convince a politician or celebrity to do what I cannot, dare not or will not do ... The other person will simply reply ... "Show me where, how and when ..." and already I am stuck ...

And I question my own courage, commitment and readiness to do any of the above ...

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Apr 2, 2004, 10:03 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 2, 2004, 9:43 PM

Post #24 of 29 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

situation definitely not that bad...but good questions posted. makes us think harder...aaaaaaaa....you do that very well don't you?

will chew about your writings...

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 3, 2004, 9:03 PM

Post #25 of 29 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Prisoners of Greed [In reply to] Can't Post

situation is definitely not that bad...but i guess some education to the public would help to prevent such incidents from happening or even minimising if it ever exist here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my