Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
My dog pees in her sleep - Please Help!

jjb443
New User

Mar 20, 2004, 7:56 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2090 views)
Shortcut
My dog pees in her sleep - Please Help! Can't Post

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback who is 2.5 years old. From the time we got her, she has peed in her bed, etc. if she doesn't have something nice to lay on, she doesn't pee.

Anyway, the other day, I came into my bedroom (she was sleeping on my bed) and I noticed a big wet spot under her. I woke her up and asked her what it was. She was totally surprised! My husband said last night she was sleeping on a blanket, and he saw pee coming out of her.

This is totally distressing! I have had her in to the vet many times for this problem. They put her on Proin and another drug for incontinence. I don't think they helped.

I also had them put her under. They injected a dye into her and watched it travel through her system. They said everything appears to be fine.

I am at wits end! She hates being outside and I live in Wisconsin. She has a very short coat, and I simply wouldn't be able to keep her out in the cold. I love her, but have contemplated finding a new home for her because she is going to ruin my house.

If you have any recommendations, please help me.

My email is blakeman.julie@mayo.edu

Thanks

Julie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 20, 2004, 9:06 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjb443] My dog pees in her sleep - Please Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Will assume that you and your vet have correctly identified the issue as incontinence ... And it's not because your RR likes to pee where she sleeps ... but that she pees in her sleep ...

For incontinence ... you can check out these websites:

www.vetinfo.com/dincont.html

www.cah.com/library/urinincont.html

If your RR continies to wet when sleeping ... then maybe the alternative is to crate-train her or teach her to sleep in her own bed ... With proper training, your RR will soon learn to return to her bed/den to sleep and rest ...

For sure you will still have to change the bedding regularly ... but at least it won't be your bed/matterss that gets wet ... and you won't have to rehome your girl ...

Use the search function & check for threads on "crate-training" ... or better still get a good training book/manual, most will have a chapter on crate-training ...

Cheers Smile

jjb443
New User

Mar 24, 2004, 8:29 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] My dog pees in her sleep - Please Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for the websites. I found out some very interesting information. I am going to check out a few other options with my vet. Will let you know if anything ever works!!! Smile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 24, 2004, 9:11 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjb443] My dog pees in her sleep - Please Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're most welcome ...

Just one other thought ... maybe you can give your RR a bit of assistance ... no water 5 hours before bedtime ... and let your RR have plenty of opportunity to empty her bladder before she goes to bed ...

Best of luck Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my