DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jbrais
Novice

Mar 19, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #1 of 51 (4665 views)
Shortcut
DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL Can't Post

It is with great sadness that I bring to your attention a serious problem with DBKK (City Hall Kota Kinabalu).

On March 06 2004, my licensed puppy, Max, was shot and killed by DBKK. The DBKK report said that the shooting was at long range and that Max was shot for being aggressive to the officer. It is unclear how a dog shot at long range can aggressively threaten an officer. Max, only eight months old, was wearing his collar and license tag at the time. No effort was made to contact me regarding the incident and my beloved Max was hauled to the city garbage dump and buried in trash.

Max escaped the property through a gate mistakenly left unlocked. He apparently went to the local community center following a group of dogs and was killed within hours as I looked for him. Max was gentle and friendly and was most likely running for home at the time of the shooting.

There is no reason to dangerously fire rifles in such a densely populated community as Luyang. This is a barbaric and uncivilized practice and should be an embarrassment to the people of Malaysia. Are these government officials so ineffective that they cannot even catch a puppy? If so, what of important matters of state?

It would be more humane and safer for DBKK to use tranquilizer darts if an animal must be subdued. There should also be a suitable compound for holding lost or stray dogs which conforms to accepted international standards. Pet owners pay a license fee. That fee should go toward something other than shooting pets.

This too common practice of shooting rather than catching animals also appears to be a departure from what Dr Chua Kim Hing said in the newspaper (Daily Express, 31 December 2003) regarding the city's official dog catching policy of holding an animal for 48 hours before destruction. Official policies look good on paper, but the truth is that harmless animals are being slaughtered daily for the sport or convenience of DBKK.

Upon inquiring at the city dump, I learned that many people go there to find their lost dogs. Surely, there must be some way to stop this pattern of cruelty. Any thoughts or efforts you can share in this matter will be deeply appreciated.

“Life is life -- whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage...”
~ Sri Aurobindo Ghosh ~
Attachments: Max1.JPG (198 KB)

rasebastian

Mar 19, 2004, 5:59 PM

Post #2 of 51 (4636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jbrais] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear JBRais,

Sorry to hear of the barbaric action taken by DBKK on Max. Is there a lawyer o nthis list who could perhaps advice if JBRais can sue (or at least make some legal noise)?

Robert
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

May
Old Hand

Mar 19, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #3 of 51 (4635 views)
Shortcut

I'm teribbly sadness with your predicament. What make those DBKK people think that Max was aggresive?

I'm sure there must be something can be done to overcome this problem. Why not try to approach and discuss with a group of dog owners and forward your complaint to DBKK. Let them know that their barbaric action are not acceptable in this modern society!!!

(This post was edited by May on Mar 19, 2004, 6:11 PM)

jbrais
Novice

Mar 19, 2004, 8:24 PM

Post #4 of 51 (4623 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Robert and May.

I've sent letters to DBKK, the Mayor's office, the SPCA and others in hope of finding the truth. I would also like to find a lawyer but could never afford to hire one. A number of people, strangers alike, have told me about a black market for dogs here in KK and that the DBKK people capture the best dogs for sale and let malnourished strays wander. The people who come looking for their dogs are told that they were destroyed, just as they told me. So, now it's hard to know what is true and what is not. I would like to find out where these kidnapped dogs go, just in case my Max might still be out there somewhere. Something has got to be done to find out the truth! Question is, how and where do they start???

As for the idea of Max being aggressive, this is pure fiction. Max was very docile and his favorite thing to do was to sleep under the aircon. We often called him the sleepiest dog in the world.

rasebastian

Mar 19, 2004, 8:57 PM

Post #5 of 51 (4623 views)
Shortcut

Are there any dog-loving lawyers here who can give some free advice to our friend in need?

Robert
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

May
Old Hand

Mar 19, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #6 of 51 (4619 views)
Shortcut

Glad to know that you have make a move. Hopefully some of our forum members with legal background would be able to provide you with some sound advice.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 20, 2004, 1:33 AM

Post #7 of 51 (4616 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i'm sorry to hear bout what happened to Max. keep your spirit up kay.

this is what i know, they(any council) have no right to destroy a dog on the spot esp dogs with tag. but i'm not sure if they've changed the policy. hope someone dog lover with legal background could help you out.

few years back, a lady wrote to thestar. like max, her pup died the same way.

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2004, 3:41 AM

Post #8 of 51 (4613 views)
Shortcut

this is insane!!! MadMadMad

i think you should write to the papers about it. maybe that way more ppl can help you with the legal works or something else.

hopefully max is still alive...

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2004, 4:58 AM

Post #9 of 51 (4612 views)
Shortcut

i can't imagine that if this incident happens on me. i can't face it.

do you mind that i forward your complaint to The Star?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jbrais
Novice

Mar 21, 2004, 2:56 AM

Post #10 of 51 (4602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi there,

i'm sorry to hear bout what happened to Max. keep your spirit up kay.

this is what i know, they(any council) have no right to destroy a dog on the spot esp dogs with tag. but i'm not sure if they've changed the policy. hope someone dog lover with legal background could help you out.

few years back, a lady wrote to thestar. like max, her pup died the same way.

Hi icezcream,
Thanks for your concern. If you have any information about the lady who wrote to the star or where i could find the article, I would appreciate being able to contact her. JBR

jbrais
Novice

Mar 21, 2004, 2:59 AM

Post #11 of 51 (4602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i can't imagine that if this incident happens on me. i can't face it.

do you mind that i forward your complaint to The Star?

Thank you, Amanda. It's been very difficult, but we are working hard to spread the word and try to make something positive come from this. Please feel free to pass it on to The Star or anyone else who may be interested. JBR

jbrais
Novice

Mar 21, 2004, 3:13 AM

Post #12 of 51 (4602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this is insane!!! MadMadMad

i think you should write to the papers about it. maybe that way more ppl can help you with the legal works or something else.

hopefully max is still alive...

I sent a letter to the local paper and they chose not to print it for fear of retribution. The editor expressed concern for my personal safety. The SPCA has expressed an interest in the case and a meeting with representatives of DBKK is being planned to discuss the situation. At the same time, I have to accept that Max is gone and hope that we can do something to make the shooting stop. JBR

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2004, 1:42 AM

Post #13 of 51 (4597 views)
Shortcut

oh...

in that case, maybe the SPCA and the DBKK can come up with something. any updates?

i'm so sorry about max Frown ...what the DBKK did was outrageous...if only we could sue them..Unsure

and i'm also gonna forward your story around...if you don't mind.

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 22, 2004, 7:10 AM

Post #14 of 51 (4595 views)
Shortcut

not too sure if i could dig out the story. but i'll try. will keep you updated kay!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 22, 2004, 7:26 AM

Post #15 of 51 (4593 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i found a related news.
check out

1) www.jphpk.gov.my/English/Feb2001%2028E.htm

2) www.jphpk.gov.my/English/Feb2001%2017B.htm

3) www.jphpk.gov.my/English/Feb2001%203A.htm

all from www.jphpk.gov.my/English/Feb%202001.htm

(This post was edited by icezcream on Mar 22, 2004, 7:31 AM)

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 22, 2004, 7:37 AM

Post #16 of 51 (4590 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i've found something that might help you out...

under the Dog Licensing By-law 1987 - dogs which are found loitering outside the compound and without any collar tag can be shot

Max was with a collar,right?

jbrais
Novice

Mar 22, 2004, 10:48 PM

Post #17 of 51 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the articles. Max was indeed wearing his collar and license tags at the time. It was very obvious to see even from a distance as you may see in his photo.

UPDATE: Apparently, the local newspaper printed my letter after all, much to my surprise. I don't know why they changed their minds about printing it. I've also come to know from reputable sources (retired police) that the man who did the actual shooting sells the animals to a dog restaurant at a profit. It seems as if he chooses the healthiest animals to shoot because they make the best dog burgers or something. Geez... it just gets uglier and uglier. Heaven help us all.

May
Old Hand

Mar 22, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #18 of 51 (4579 views)
Shortcut

That's really inhumane Mad.

Btw, was your letter printed in The Star paper today? Which section? Which page?

jbrais
Novice

Mar 22, 2004, 11:55 PM

Post #19 of 51 (4576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it's in the Star. Let me know if you see it. I don't get the Star here. It was printed in the Sabah Daily Express on Sunday.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 6:35 AM

Post #20 of 51 (4575 views)
Shortcut

now you have yourself a point to argue. max was wearing a collar, but according to the by-law, they only have the right to shot a dog if it's found loitering outside AND without a collar or tag.

another point, max is still a pup/teen dog. normally teen dog will not attack. probably just growl(like mine). assuming max did tried to attack the officers, they must have provoked Max.Mad i think they might not even know the proper or basic way to handle a dog. They are fit to do the job!!!!!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 6:49 AM

Post #21 of 51 (4573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

hello may,Smile

i found the Sabah Daily Express website. www.dailyexpress.com.my/ but they have not updated the site yet. the last update was on 20th of March 2004. guess we gotta wait for the story.

jbrais
Novice

Mar 24, 2004, 4:34 AM

Post #22 of 51 (4559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

Max's article appeared in the Letters & Forum section of Daily Express on March 21. I doubt you will see a printed copy of the same article on their website here. Last time I checked, the connection was refused when attempting to contact their site. Server probably down or something.

I also like to thank-you very much for directing me to the www.jphpk.gov.my/English/...htm link; it helps a lot to know I'm not alone, Jo, thanks.

Joanne

jbrais
Novice

Mar 24, 2004, 4:47 AM

Post #23 of 51 (4558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] DBKK: LICENSE TO KILL [In reply to] Can't Post

If you see the article on Max publish in Star after you forwarded the story to the paper, let me know the date of publish. Thanks, Amanda.

jbrais
Novice

Mar 24, 2004, 5:03 AM

Post #24 of 51 (4554 views)
Shortcut

Open picture attachment (Dumpsite.jpg) to see where Max was being dumped at by DBKK.
Attachments: DumpSite.JPG (151 KB)

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 24, 2004, 7:55 AM

Post #25 of 51 (4552 views)
Shortcut

hi joanne,

no worries. anyway, that's all i could do. if you need anymore help, do tell me,kay?

do keep us udpated.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my