Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Need Advice - 8 mths Old Dog

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 19, 2004, 9:17 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Need Advice - 8 mths Old Dog Can't Post

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just got myself a dog. Somebody gave his guard dog to me and it's already 8 mths. It's a male dog. He looks big and i'm a little bit scared to handle the dog.
He didn't seems to respond to my calling at all. I'm afraid that if I called him too much, will he bite me?
Any advice on how to train the dog? Can a dog switch owner at 8 months old? I'm not sure the reason why the previous owner doesn't want the dog. He just mentioned that he is busy and has no time. I love dog that is why I take it but not sure how to handle it. Pls advise.... thanks.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 9:50 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanYoung] Need Advice - 8 mths Old Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

At 8 months, a dog is still very young ... and provided the dog is of good steady temperament - you should have no problems training the dog ...

That said ... I do believe that it is far more important to make sure you feel comfortable with the dog and to make sure the dog is comfortable with you ...

I will certainly suggest that you do the following before accepting the dog ...

(a) Spend time with the dog ... and observe how it behaves and responds to you ... And by spending time I do not mean spending 10minutes with the dog.

Do arrange to spend an extended amount of time with the dog over the next few days ... Don't try giving commands or any such ... just relax and spend time with the dog ... all young dogs love to play - play with the dog in the garden ... throw a ball ... ... give it treats ... do whatever the dog likes to do ...

(b) Once you are reasonably comfortable with the dog ... take the dog for walks ... Observe how the dog behaves in new environments ... with strangers and other dogs ...

If you do the above - you will know whether you are comfortable with the dog and the dog with you ... And then maybe, you can make a wise decision ... And if the current owner does not allow you to do all the above - then my suggestion is to walk away ...

If you do not have the time or inclination to do the above - then maybe you do not have the time to own or train a dog ...

Cheers Smile

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 19, 2004, 4:38 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Need Advice - 8 mths Old Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Surchinmy but I have already taken the dog before doing all this.
It's quite of difficult to get him into the crate. I tried feeding him but he refuses to eat even it's a normal feeding time as prescribed by the previous owner. Not sure why. I hope things get better. I woke up early this morning at 6am to bring the dog for a walk. He is very strong. At times, he will just stop and not want to move at all. If you drag him a little, he will just hold on and stick to the ground. I don't have any intention to hurt the dog but it's dangerous when it happens in the middle of the road.
Between, have u heard about the e-book. Is it a good guide book? heard only USD9. but scared to use credit card due to security reasons.

rasebastian

Mar 19, 2004, 6:23 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1259 views)
Shortcut

Just out of curiosity...what breed is your new dog?

Robert
-------------------------------------------------------
Gurdian of furkids:
On Earth: Max
In Heaven: Mani (1991), Bonnie (1997), Musso (1999), Brunno (2003), Shadow (2010), Rover (2011)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Well ... if you have already taken the dog ... then I really suggest that you go to a local book shop and get yourself a good training book and manual as soon as possible ...

From your description (you posted that your dog does not bark at strangers etc) ... So, you new friend actually sounds like he has quite good and calm temperament ... Believe me, if your dog has bad temperament, you would have found out by now ...

So, I don't think you should have any worries about him biting you ... And the urination is called "marking" ... very normal for male dogs, to mark any new territory to show that the area is now theirs ...

The important thing now is for BOTH of you to get used to and more comfortable with each other ... And the best way to do this is to spend time with your dog.

I suggest you do the following:

*** That you give the dog a few days to get used to his new environment and the new people around him ... You can also use these next few days to learn as much as you can and figure out what is required to own a dog ... I hope you took the dog because you want a friend and companion - and not just because you want some animal to guard your house.

*** During this period ... make sure YOU provide the dog with his water and food ... *** The IMPORTANT thing right now - is for your dog to learn and accept you as the new owner ... And you have to earn the dog's respect ... you begin this process by providing food and water to your dog and spending time with your dog ... just getting to know each other ...

*** Changing home and owner ... is stressful for people and dogs ... Right now all the dog needs is to find out about his new home and his new owner ... and all you are required to do for the moment is exactly the same - find out about the dog you have acquired ... and for the both of you to become friends ...

So, for the moment - don't worry about training or walking the dog ... Let things settle down first ... and give yourself a chance to learn more ... It is better to start the correct way then to rush things and do things wrong ...

*** Check the forum and relevant threads (use the SEARCH function) on the following topics:

(i) The PROPER way to CRATE and crate train a dog ... (ii) The PROPER way to HOUSE TRAIN a dog ... (iii) What to FEED the dog ...

(iv) The PROPER way to WALK a dog ... (v) How to start TRAINING your dog ...

And by the way - crating a dog from 7am to 7pm is a MAJOR PROBLEM ... you do not use the crate like a prison ... please please learn as much as you can as soon as you can ... If you do that, don't be surprised to find a neurotic dog on your hands ... And if that is all you can manage - then please return the dog ...

I think it is reasonably safe to use a credit card on the internet - provided you follow some sensible precautions ... (a) Only visit properly accredited sites that provide secured & encrypted systems to process credit cards ... (b) Check your monthly account/statement & confirm all debits before making payment to the credit card company ...

But whatever method you use ... get a good training book/manual immediately ... Personally, I think, at this stage, a book would probably be more convenient to use ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 19, 2004, 7:59 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my