Rotten Rottie

JenniferAshley
New User

Mar 19, 2004, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Rotten Rottie Can't Post

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there is any tricks to training a rottweiler puppy. Is there anything that works better than other things. I am almost to my breaking point. Wink She is an adorable puppy, but she definitly has a few bad bones in her. She is almost 2 months old now.
There are a few reasons I think this could have happend. I got her 2 weeks earlier than I was supposed to. Her mom decided that she didnt want to feed at about 3 weeks old. So I took her home. I think maybe because she wasnt with her brother's and sisters she missed out on playing with them, and learning that it hurts to bite.
Right now, she is at the "have all my teeth but Im still going to chew and bite everything I can" stage.. and she is VERY aggresive toward me already. She gets really mad when I tell her "NO" and she growles,bites and gets a real bad attitude! Like she is boss. (Is this a normal puppy thing) and if not, does anyone have a suggestion on how to show her I am boss? She is going to be a mighty big dog, and I cant have her thinking she's boss. Another problem is she will NOT pee on the newspaper. She goes to it, walks past it, looks at me and pee's about 4 feet from it. But she will poop on the paper.
So any suggestions on how to stop her aggressive biting, her thinking she's boss, and peeing on the floor and not the paper.
Also if I hold her still so I can put her collar on or leash, sometimes she reacts like she is being hurt. She gets extremely agressive and needs to get away! Its like she is afraid I am never going to let her go or something...???... is that normal. Is she just trying to to be boss again and get away?
Well, I hope someone can give me some advice Wink I know I've asked a lot of questions :)
Thanks for your time
JenniferAshley

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 9:20 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JenniferAshley] Rotten Rottie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

You are right ... at 3 weeks is much too young for a dog to be separated from its mother & siblings ... It is normal for a female to wean pups from between 3 to 4 weeks ... but that is no reason to take the pup away from its mother or siblings ...

A dog ought not to be separated from its mother and siblings before 8 weeks ... some experts believe 12 weeks is even better. A dog separated at too young an age and missing the steadying discipline & influence of a mother, and learning through play with its siblings ... can exhibit nervousness, ill-discipline and/or irrascibility ... and it is not your pup's fault ...

You do not say whether you are a beginner or have owned dogs before ... but there are some things you may need to consider ...

(1) A good owner is NOT so much the boss but a respected companion, friend and leader ... (in that order and in that priority) ... Good trainers earn their dog's respect and not the dog's fear ... A good trainer and dog work as partners ...

You can train a dog to do tricks - but there is no trick to training ... Training is all about an owner learning as much as he or she can about dogs, learning about training techniques and loving a dog enough to spend time training the dog ... Training requires patience and consistency ... from the owner ... not the dog ... Smile

(2) At 2 months ... you dog is probably starting to teeth ... and teething dogs chew ... that is normal ... you will need to show your dog what she can and cannot chew on - that is your responsibility as a dog owner ...

Check this thread:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=126251;search_string=chewing;#126251

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=123337;search_string=chewing;#123337

(3) It is not likely that you 2 month dog is showing "aggression" ... more than likely she just behaving like a puppy ... and maybe being a little naughty ...

Check these threads:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=99917;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=63103;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

(4) On the issue of "house-training" & "leashes" ... just activate the SEARCH FUNCTION and search the forum ... these topics are well discussed ...

(5) Get a good dog training book/manual ... It is time to start training your dog ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 19, 2004, 9:31 AM)

bern_lee
Novice

Mar 25, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Jennifer,

Have ever had a rott before? Do you know what rott is all about? If not, read some Rott books. It really helps. I read to understand the breed.

I think yr pup maybe too playful and forgotten that she overstep certain boundaries. Since yr pup was separated at very early age, u need to instill certain discipline during playing time. Yr pup may not know that she's too rough and too aggresive. If she too rough & aggresive, u need to let her know and it's not fun. If yr pup mellows down, praise her immediately, so that she knows that she's doing the rite thing and u r happy with her. U need to be the alpha or else when she grows big, she might not let you in the hse. hahaha.. Laugh If u need to correct her then correct her in a rite and consistent way. If u think she need spanking then give her 1 and make sure she knows that u mean it.

My pup used to be very possessive when come to food. She will growl when anyone comes near her. She was 4 months old. Now, she don't dare to do that anymore. I can even ask her to stop eating during her meal. U need to gain control over yr pup else it would be a menace not only to u but to yr family members and yr neighbours. Rott don't have good repo in M'sia so pls don't make it worse.

Training yr pup will require a lot of time, patient and persistent/stubbornese. At the end, who will break whose will only. I find that the best time to train her was during her meal time. In other words, train with food. Lastly, have fun!

chilimson

Apr 2, 2004, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jennifer, I hope you know what you wanted and why you acquire a Rottweiler. I have had them for many years and still have them, and it is really too early for instil any tough disciplinary action on a 8 weeks old puppy. I will advise you to spend time with the puppy and try to understand her behaviour each time and them work with her on what is acceptable and what is not. Food bait is one way for ensuring compliance, but there are other ways. The most important thing is to spend time and bond with her, and she will understand you soon. For example, giving a loud "ouch" every time she bite is another way. Or scuffle her neck and say no, but never break her by doing that continuouisly without stop. Anyway, there are a lot of books or website that offers a lot of solutions. Therefore, I certainly will like to encourage you to do more ready and use common sense. Do not kill the spirit of a Rottie, otherwise, you should have just bought a Golden Retriever or Labrador!

Dar
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2004, 8:14 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jennifer,

Hope you have found a way to handle your puppy. I don’t think you puppy (what do you call her?) has learned that she is the boss yet BUT she sure will if don’t let her know that you are the alpha in the pack. Your questions were answers by the other members but as owner of Rottweilers I would like to share my point on the subject.

1. You have to let you dog know that you are the “alpha dog”. What we did was using the “NO” command. When ever our dogs did something that we didn’t want them to do we use the “NO” with a sharp look into their eyes. yes, it does not work at once and it takes a lot of time it is much easier teaching the come and sit command. At times you will need to push your puppy away when he tries to bite or jump on you (don’tlah push till the poor girl starts rolling on the floor!!) just a little push or a tap. If you notice the mother will do such correction with a push, tap (bite) or “NO” (growl). Don’t start playing or encourage her to play just after the “punishment” because she will learn that after each punishment she gets to play with you and she will want more “punishments”!! Let her be for herself for a while and she will learn (in time) that you do not like what she did and will learn to please you. As for me the tapping worked. My dogs were both “tapped” for biting shoes when they were about 9 – 10 weeks and till this day they never bite on anything they are not to bite on. I used my hand to tap, (NOT HIT) the mouth and said a hard loud NO. When they start doing it again just after a few moments, it was just a loud NO again and again a few times, then it came to “AH” from “NO” and they stop and nowadays we don’t even have to say a word, when ever they do anything we just have look at them and they will stop doing what ever that we don’t want them doing. (even barking) So, take your time and get to understand them in the end you will be surprise that they understand you better then you understand them.
  2. As for growling, rotties do growl when they are playing, when you are running your fingers along their back or head they just love it and may be its away of saying “ah its soooo nice” BUT be careful growling also means “NO” (just the same as we use it on them). They might not want you to touch them, this is no good and you must stop it at once. You must be able to touch your dog when ever you want or where ever you want. Can you imagine a 60kg rottweiler “saying” stay away don’t come near me when you want to get him in his cage or when you have visitors or at the Vet! For us, no matter what the growl means we always give the “NO” command and get them in control.
  3. As for the collar and leash she is not used to it yet may be what you can do is get the collar on when she is playing with her toy or something don’t hold her just put the collar on. She might have learn that when you hold her with the collar in hand she is going to be uneasy and she fights back to get free. So let her play around with her collar on and later with the leash on , just let her walk, play and run around with BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE AROUND TO KEEP AN EYE ON HER AT ALL TIME. She will try very hard to get the collar and leash off her but she will learn that it is not any harm and will live with it. Again it takes time. For us it took a few days. Then you can start walking her around the house (no walking out).

Yes having a Rottweiler is not an easy job, many people get them because of their look and thinking that a Rotweiler is super bodyguard and end up giving them up. If you can’t handle your puppy by yourself it would be better for you to join her in an obedient class.(traning)

By the way my dogs are Izac (3 yrs old in the pic he is 8 months) and Newton (4.5 yrs old) are self trained with help from friends and they attack on command. A lot of time and work has to be put in, take your time. Having a Rottweiler is the most wonderful thing that can happen to you but at time they make you pull out your hairs J. It’s a 2 in 1 thing just enjoy it.

Dar

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my