Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Intense Bacterial Infection on skin

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2004, 10:57 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3346 views)
Shortcut
Intense Bacterial Infection on skin Can't Post

My 8 yr old tyson has been having an infection on his tummy/chest area for almost 3-4 yrs now, when it first started we had it cut out and checked if it is cancerous, it wasnt, but the wound didnt heal well and it came back. It has grown alittle, the vet has put him on all sorts of antibiotics but it hasnt helped. Everytime it becomes more swollen and with pus, we take him back to vet (also asked for 2nd opinion), they also put him back on antibiotics.. it hasnt helped much so far.

According to the vet, the infection can not heal because it is at the tummy area, which has contact to the floor when he sleeps, and he has ni fur there and the follicles are open and encourage bacteria and germs.

Does anyone have any experience like this with their pets? What else can I do to help my Tyson?? Are short furred dogs more prone to skin problems?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 19, 2004, 10:01 AM

Post #2 of 9 (3340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Intense Bacterial Infection on skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Unfortunately some dogs are more prone to contracting bacterial infection of the skin ... From what you describe, Tyson is getting folicular infection ...

Maybe you can try the following:

(a) Design and make a tummy/chest coat for Tyson ... something from cotton that ties securely around his torso ... so that his torso does not come into contact with the ground when he lies down ... Make sure you make several sets, change them regularly ... boil and hang in sun to dry ...

(b) Keep Tyson indoors and give him lots of cushions to lie down on ... limit his excursions outdoors until the condition clears up.

(c) Keep the area scrupulously clean ... wipe it regularly (2 or 3 times a day) with a mild salt solution ... or get your vet to recommend a mild antibiotic solution you can use ... perhaps eusol or some such similar solution ...

Finally - do consider improving his nutrition ... often, skin conditions are made worse by inadequate or incorrect nutrition ... and better food is always good anyways ... a properly fed dog is always stronger & healthier ...

Cheers ...

PS ... I think both short and long coated dogs have their share of skin problems ...

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Intense Bacterial Infection on skin [In reply to] Can't Post

tx tx,.... i think u r right... but some ppl have told me air is better for him to heal.. so i never thought of giving him a 'baju'..

one prob i have.. he is off limits to indoors, and spends his time with 2 other dogs... when i do try to separate them.. they become anxious.. and tyson seem restless. in that case, would just the 'baju' help him then?

also.. i have tried giving him pillows so his pressure points r not so stressed.. but the minute i walk away and come back..i see it in shreds by harvey.. have tried to reprimand but seems he does it when i am not around after maybe an hour... when i return, it's already disaster.. how do i teach him not to after the disaster has occured?? woudl they still understand me after that??
harvey seems to like licking tyson on the wound..which i discourage... he isnt doing as often..but sometimes do...

my vet asked me to use iodin.. is tat as good? or salt is better and safer??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3320 views)
Shortcut

With dogs ... everytime we try something new ... we need to be consistent and patient ... if you are consistent & patient ... the dogs will eventially get bored with the baju ... the novelty will wear off and they will start to leave the baju alone ...

You must of course be present to supervise and to encourage the dogs to leave the baju alone by timely and prompt ... low and growly "NOOOOOOO" ... Check the threads for more info on how to use the "NOOOO"...

If the baju is made from light cotton ... air will still circulate and allow healing ...

With every method ... there will be advantage and disadvantage ... it is for you to decide what is best for your dog and to modify the method to suit your circumstances ... let your imagination reign ... Tongue

You are right ... it is difficult and mostly pointless to reprimand AFTER a disaster because dog will not understand ... so the idea is for you to be around and to PREVENT the disaster from happening in the first place ... So, when you introduce new elements, make sure you are around and available to supervise ... and for you to be consistent and patient ...

Cheers ... Smile

PS ... Iodine is a very effective disinfectant ... but it stings ... The salt solution is mild ...

As to which is better? Depends on severity of the wounds ... if the wounds are quite serious, then Iodine or Flavin (which does not sting) will be better than salt solution.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 23, 2004, 1:19 AM)

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 1:26 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3316 views)
Shortcut

oohhh.. thank you thank you for your reply...

i know i need more time n consistency.. but one prob i have is not being able to be there all the time to supervise them... so sometimes its hard to correct their behaviour also... this i need alot of work to improve... Unsure
cos they act good then they chew after i am not around...

u know the problem with the dog licking another dog? Is there something safe tat tastes nasty i can put on the wound so the other dog wont repeat it?? any suggestions??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 1:34 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3315 views)
Shortcut

You are most welcome ... Smile

I understand how it is very difficult to be there all the time ... just do your best ... Smile ...

Right now I too, am struggling to keep one of our dogs from licking a hot spot ... In the end, I have decided to bandage the area ... and just keep replacing the bandage whenever needed ... fingers crossed - so far so good ...

It is very difficult to prevent one dog from licking another dog or for that matter, to prevent the dog from licking itself ... You may want to consider separating the dogs and also using a e-collar ... or the baju ...

As for putting something on the area to prevent licking ...we have tried that ... and we have tried everything we know TongueCrazyFrown - but that really never seems to work ...

Sometimes it is necessary to keep dogs separated until the condition improves ... yes, the dogs can get sad, but it is more important to let the condition improve ... and we have to do what is necessary ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 23, 2004, 1:34 AM)

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 2:00 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3312 views)
Shortcut

wats wrong with your furkids??

the skin is kinda oily wor.. baddage wont come off?? it doesnt stick well on tyson's body.. i think your suggestion to a 'jacket' thing maybe good...since he is not so keen on chilly nites too.. and i wont have to scrub the floor everyday...Crazy

wats an e-collar??

i think my biggest prob is not the dog, but having him in the house or another area is hard cos my folks dissapprove of it. so he has to stay with his 2 other brothers...

ask u.. i have seen my vet for a while now and his antibiotics help abit but they never heal the problem.. just ease it temporarily... now, a holistic site recommended i stop the vet completely and try homepathy on tyson.. i do see a small improvement thus far with the vet's antibiotics.. u think i shld cont to see him for this matter??

this is just like those days we argue on western medication vs the traditionl medicine.. hehehee...

anyway, i just wanted a second opinion.. since u know this well also feel comfortable to discuss with you..Blush

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2004, 2:29 AM

Post #8 of 9 (3310 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Oh ... by bandage I don't mean a sticky tape type plaster ... but a cotton gauze bandage that I tie on ...

An e-collar is a plastic cone that straps on to the dog's collar - and prevents the dog from licking itself ... Ask your vet to show you one ...

Personally ... I don't think antibiotics alone can solve chronic skin conditions ... Antibiotics simply treats the infection but does not do much in the way of curing what might be "causing" the problem in the first place ... For serious skin conditions, the vet has to try and diagnose what is "causing" the problem ... and not just treat the symptoms ...

I believe both homepathic/holistic methods and modern medication have their place and function ... It depends on the dog and the ailment ... I have no problems with combining the two ...

If your dog's condition is not really improving ... then I would seriously consider seeing another vet for a 2nd opinion ... but find a vet who is experienced, and willing to spend the time trying to diagnose the "cause" rather than just trying to treat the obvious symptoms ... You need to find a vet who will answer your questions and discuss the matter with you ...

Cheers Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 6:14 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3305 views)
Shortcut

hmm.... sometimes all the vet say diff things... sometimes i can feel they ask me to open up the infectionand do a test but they already know wat the answer is.. u know, just so i spend more money.

seems the vet says it is because the infected area has open pores, there for, even if it is treated well, it may come back again. He is just prone to being infected, unless i keep him indoors where it is probably cleaner... but my folks wont allow it.. so. oh wel.. just try my best lor.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my