Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
behavior problem with older dog

patjercoltyl
New User

Mar 16, 2004, 8:26 AM

Post #1 of 4 (169 views)
Shortcut
behavior problem with older dog Can't Post

SmileHello! My name is patricia and i have an 8 1/2 years old black lab cross. We rescued him from a highway when he was about 6 months. He has been the best companion i have ever have. unfortunately, i don't know much about his past. when we found him, he had frostbite and not much hair left around his neck ( his collar was really tight ). He had never been in a house so our vet assumed he had been left outside tied up to chain. He has never liked big dogs and will go after them when we go for walks. we had an american that we lost 2 years ago. that was his buddy. for about six months now, he has been growling at our kids which he has never done before. We just started him on arthritis and thyroid medicine. it helps a little but he seems so unhappyFrown. Our vet suspects that he is in pain which is why he is growling. i am running out of ideas. our kids are extremely good with him. i have been starting on his training again and i am walking with him every day. i am home all day so he gets lots of love and attention. Would a new dog be a good idea? Since we had another dog, i though maybe he was feeling lonely. Any suggestiosn would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! Smile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Mar 17, 2004, 9:45 PM

Post #2 of 4 (153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patjercoltyl] behavior problem with older dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Patricia,

A warm welcome to the forum here ya !

cheers,
minglmy

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2004, 10:42 PM

Post #3 of 4 (149 views)
Shortcut

hi there...

i think your labby must have had a traumatic experience.. but since he has gotten so much care and love from you for almost 8 yrs now, he should be alright. I doubt it has much to do with his past.

Does he appear aggresive? Any other signs of why he is behaving the way he is? Was he this way shortly after your american passed away? I guess they behave like humans in some ways too.. if he is in emotional or physical pain he will probably not be very happy.

If it is because he is experiencing physical pain, then getting a new dog would not help much. probably even irritate him and he may feel you are neglecting him then. If so, u may want to try homeopathy or other natural healing for the dog. Try to visit some sites, I am also just exploring them on my 8 yr ol dog...
u may try this site www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/
I find it overwhelming..hehehee..but is really useful to help you understand since you have time to read... Tongue

There is also this CD I found in the book shop for animal healing .. they encourage you to spend some time with the pet, listen to the soothing music together and stroke/massage the dog, apparently has helped some...

try to talk to your dog more, be gentle on him, since he is getting old also... if he isnt aggresive, get your children to stroke him gently from time to time, it helps to bond as well.. talk to him, i'm sure he will feel more relaxed.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2004, 3:31 AM

Post #4 of 4 (145 views)
Shortcut

hi!

maybe you should seek out a 2nd opinion with another vet...just to make sure that your labbie is alright. coz alot of behaviorial problems started becoz the dogs are not feeling well. if it turns out that he is healthy and fine, then you can start him on training.

and also since he's getting old now...you could try to make him as comfortable as possible. for eg. give him a soft bed to lie. observe him while you take him out for walkies...does he feel painful to walk?

since you already had another dog, i think he's not lonely. lonely dogs most probably won't be aggressive. and i am sure he's not lonely since you are at home all the time. do check with the vet to make sure he is healthy. Smile

all the best~!

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my