Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion?

rocz

Mar 16, 2004, 3:40 AM

Post #1 of 21 (2567 views)
Shortcut
How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? Can't Post

Hi all....i always have this question in my mind but i still cant find a solution..

We all know that robbers poison our dogs b4 they get into the house...but how do we prevent that?

u see..probably we can train our furkids to eat only fr his own bowl(which i dont think is practical to train him eating food that comes ONLY fr a single person)....but then while we are doing obedience training....we tend to handfeed them...which can end up very confusing.

So...wat is ur experience?wat is the best way to minimise the chances of our furkids being poisoned?

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2004, 11:15 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rocz] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hi... actually, i am also very worried abt my dogs.. seems they r friendly to everybody and so wai-sek they will grab any food at chance...Unsure

but i have a fren who's dog dont eat from anyone else but 2 members of the family.. no one else is allowed to feed her. If she tries to eat from someone else, they will scold her..so over the years she understand that she is not supposed to eat unless given food by the master (the 2 members at home)... so if one is not around, still got the other one lor...but this will take time to train the dog.. and usually done while still young.. my dogs r so old liao, if i teach now like tat sure they will get confused...

otherwise, maybe keep your dogs out of sight lor, in the house or at the back so chances of her having poison from stupid robbers r minimised i guess...

rocz

Mar 16, 2004, 11:28 PM

Post #3 of 21 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi....hehe...Actually i was thining to train her only take food fr one or 2 persons only..but then that will be very impractical...wat if we wanna go out then have to send her for boarding home?(or ask my father in law to take care?)....then the second thok is to train him for taking food fr certain utensil only...but then thinking abt training him outdoor will actually making him confused,,,,hai,,,anyone else got other types of training?

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2004, 12:33 AM

Post #4 of 21 (2556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rocz] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes.. u r right... its not so simple as our dogs are not able to travel with us all the time... wat if u keep the dog at the back of the house when no one is around?

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2004, 3:06 AM

Post #5 of 21 (2548 views)
Shortcut

yeah...what you said make sense too coz i've also been thinking about it myself. someone had told me to train my future dog to eat only from 1 or two ppl and refuse all others. but what if that 1 or 2 ppl is not around? then what happens? so .... kinda confusing and headche for me too...... Unsure

some other ways that i can think of are:

1. keep dog indoors
2. kennel the dog at night
3. confine dog at the back where ppl can't throw things to and the dog can't get it

what else can we do?

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

rocz

Mar 21, 2004, 8:32 PM

Post #6 of 21 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe.....yalor...i think not much we can do...

anyone have better suggestion?

anyway i still let the dog free at night as only night time there is no visitors (since it is a large breed)....

just making sure that he makes fren with the neighbour malay kids....hahah...if not they could have poisoned the dog just for fun..

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2004, 1:19 AM

Post #7 of 21 (2541 views)
Shortcut

btw..what breed is your dog? can't tell from the photo ler...CrazyCrazy

but i like the dogs to run free too...don't like to confine them...like very kesian...Unsure

aiyooo....hahaha....i think your neighbor's not gonna do that lah...if you're on friendly terms with them. my malay neighbor actually likes my golden retriever too...ehhehe..they always like to call him.

rocz

Mar 22, 2004, 1:38 AM

Post #8 of 21 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

hehhe..my neighbour are not malays...but i just make sure she makes frens with all the malays with the lorongs around here....hehe

My dog is a mastiff...but the colour is out and has a rott look....anyway i bought it cheap and she is very smart gal....can sit,down,paw,roll over and fetch now.....very stubborn character sometimes...

Does she looks fierce?:P

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2004, 1:48 AM

Post #9 of 21 (2538 views)
Shortcut

aahh....that is a good move....hehehe....bring here around so that everyone knows who she is...Smile

oh a mastiff eh? ehehe....glad that she's a smart gal...how old is she? emm no...i don't think she looks fierce in this picture...ehhe....

rocz

Mar 22, 2004, 2:46 AM

Post #10 of 21 (2537 views)
Shortcut

hehhe...when she barks at u may be will frighten u...hehhe...i love the way she barks (though she doesnt bark that often, and I always encourage him softly whenever she barks at some one outside the gate...hahha...but cant let others know that i m doing that

by the way she is only 6 mths old.....always hope she will grow to full size as soon as possible

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 22, 2004, 6:47 AM

Post #11 of 21 (2534 views)
Shortcut

ahahh....of course ler....big dogs barking at ppl....very scary one i know....hehehe......sure i cabut if i'm the burglar or theif....ehhehehe.....LaughSly

have you taken her for OB training? oh, and she's only 6 months old huh? so young! many many more years to go......Angelic

rocz

Mar 22, 2004, 6:55 AM

Post #12 of 21 (2533 views)
Shortcut

hehhe...no...i train her by myself...spent 9+ USD to buy the book<Teach ur dog 100 English Words>...

and it was that book that thok me the way to teach my dog how to bark when i wanted her to do it...kekke...thats y i made use of everychance when she bark

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 9:47 PM

Post #13 of 21 (2527 views)
Shortcut

oh i see......that's good then. Smile

does she know her basic commands?

rocz

Mar 23, 2004, 10:47 PM

Post #14 of 21 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Well...she is 6 mths old n already learn to sit,down,roll over,shake hand....

only headache is i m trying to correct her fr shitting on my garden(which she was taught to do that when she was young)

How abt urs?

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 11:11 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2525 views)
Shortcut

oh .. that is very good then. keep up the good work. Cool

so where do you want her to poo poo now? outside?
may i suggest something that might help? next time when she poos at the correct spot, reward and praise her. she'll get the idea that good things come when she's doing her business at that spot. maybe eventually she'll always poo there instead of where you don't want her to poo.

rocz

Mar 23, 2004, 11:23 PM

Post #16 of 21 (2524 views)
Shortcut

hehhe...ya...i got the same suggestion of that fr a Pastor too...lol

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2004, 5:26 AM

Post #17 of 21 (2522 views)
Shortcut

aiyoh....really ka?? Shocked

so does it work?

rocz

Mar 24, 2004, 6:16 AM

Post #18 of 21 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Well...i think thats sounds sensible...I m trying it....n hope pastor will pray for me too...lol

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 5:13 AM

Post #19 of 21 (2517 views)
Shortcut

hahaha....i'm sure he will. Cool

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 28, 2004, 6:26 PM

Post #20 of 21 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

There was a topic in this forum by leopui on training dogs from not eating food given by strangers and food left around, I can't remember the title of the topic but it helps do look around for post by "leopui".

TQ

Dar

rocz

Mar 28, 2004, 7:13 PM

Post #21 of 21 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dar] How do u prevent ur pets fr eating poison?Any suggestion? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...I have found it.....

Was mentioned to put the door indoor at night so that anyone who is trying to break into the house the dog will alarmed me and have no chance to poison him....

hehhe..I think thats the only way but still yet to train him fr housebreaking and also my mom will definitely against that idea...haha

Anyway I ve just adopt 2 new puppies n hope this two will stay a chance to live indoor...:P

http://www.imagestation.com/...93591ca.jpg.orig.jpg

u can view their pic fr here...this 2 are mongrel mix but dont u think they look prettier than most of the purebreed?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my