IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Is Your Dog Fulfilled?

sun-arrow

Mar 15, 2004, 11:50 AM

Post #1 of 20 (2414 views)
Shortcut
Is Your Dog Fulfilled? Can't Post

If you have hotmail, most likely, you have read this article.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2086621/

Is Your Dog Fulfilled?
Herding classes, obedience school, play dates, day care—pretty soon you'll be taking your dog to ballet lessons.
By Jon Katz
Posted Friday, Aug. 8, 2003, at 5:33 AM PT

I drive a couple of hundred miles each week so my border collies can embrace their destiny—or is it their ancestry?—by herding sheep at a farm. When I'm there, I'm always amazed at the scores of people who show up with all sorts of dogs, from avid herding breeds to bewildered mutts. Their owners are all eager to expose them to the ancient art.

"I do agility, obedience, and therapy dog training," the owner of a Lab/shepherd mix told me, "and I'd love to add herding. We have Thursdays and Fridays open."

America has enriched its children to the bone with soccer and ballet and computer camp and Chinese lessons. Now it's the dogs' turn. If your mutt isn't "fulfilled" yet, it will be soon. "Fulfillment" is the new buzzword among trendy California dog lovers, the Los Angeles Times reported last fall. The idea is to figure out what a dog was born to do—herd, hunt, retrieve, sit decoratively on laps—and find ways to do it.

Dog fulfillment feels like an inevitable movement. One of the baby boom's many dubious ideas was the Gifted and Talented Child. In the 1970s and '80s, schools created programs based on the same principle as dog fulfillment: We had to figure out what our kids could excel at and make sure they got vast encouragement to do it. Nervous principals and anxious parents made sure that every child was defined as gifted and talented at something. This has gradually led to families where too much is never enough: Every waking hour must be spent at some class or team or camp.

As Americans who love their dogs have increasingly emotionalized them and come to see them as family members, complete with complex psychological lives and histories, they feel more and more anxious and guilty about them. It follows that dogs, too, should have every chance at fulfillment. And it also follows that dog owners should come to feel as if they are never doing enough. "Is it OK to have a dog and still go to work?" one woman e-mailed me recently.

Dog owners vigorously search for activities that will endlessly stimulate and amuse their pets. Dogs belong to recreational and sporting associations, sometimes organized by activity (obedience, therapy, search and rescue) and other times by breed. Dogs have play dates or walking dates. They participate in agility, tracking, and myriad other sporting events. They are acquiring service and therapy certificates by the thousands. Dog day-care centers have sprouted everywhere so guilt-ridden owners can go to work feeling good that Max or Maggie (our dogs often have human names now, too) has sufficient exercise, stimulation, and companionship. And have you checked out the toy department at your pet store recently? It's like Zany Brainy in there.

A generation or two ago—in fact, for most of the species' evolutionary history—the idea that a dog needed to be fulfilled would have shocked even the most attentive owner. As recently as the '60s and '70s, dogs were rarely even leashed or confined; they generally were content just to hang around, occasionally squabbling with other dogs, getting into the garbage or menacing the mailman.

Today's dog owners might pause and consider that their pets may sometimes actually need much less from them than they want or feel they need to give. Most dogs require an hour of exercise a day, not endless fetching and chasing or romps with scores of excited peers. (A dog that chases balls, sticks, and Frisbees and races around all day is sometimes an obnoxious, aroused, or hyper dog, not necessarily a fulfilled one.) They certainly need love and attention, but not always as much of it as we think. They need food and things to chew on, but not as much as we usually provide. A trainer friend told me I wasn't helping my anxious border collie out by rushing him around to stimulating activities all day. "He needs to be socialized with dogs and people, but he also needs to learn how to be calm just as much as he needs to work. I see dog people smiling all the time when they see their dogs racing around in packs like maniacs, but they aren't always doing their dogs a favor. Dogs don't have 'fun' in the way that humans do, and people often confuse excitement and arousal for yuks."

In natural environments, which almost no dog or owner can find anymore, dogs are like lions. They lie around much of the day, rousing themselves every now and then for food or sex or to chase after something appealing. Dogs don't have human emotions. They don't get bored in the human sense of the word, although they do need some activity. They may get anxious when left alone—they are pack animals and usually prefer company—but loneliness is a human, not canine, emotion. With proper training and acclimatization, sometimes confinement, almost any dog can spend time alone, vegging out, smelling the smells and listening to the sounds of the world, chewing on rawhide, or staring at nothing in particular. One European study suggests that dogs left alone sometimes are smarter than dogs that are smothered by attention: They get the opportunity to solve problems by themselves.

Working with dogs and engaging in activities like agility, obedience, and herding is great, terrific for people and dogs alike. Nobody should feel badly about doing this stuff. I've spent some of the loveliest hours of my life out in pastures with my vigilant dogs, listening to the sound of sheep crunching away on grass. But it's sometimes OK to relax and let our dogs just be dogs. After considerable badgering by some great trainers, I now make sure my dogs spend several hours a day alone in the yard or quietly in their crates, learning to settle down. We have spent some of our happiest times together doing nothing.

sun-arrow

Mar 15, 2004, 11:53 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sun-arrow] Is Your Dog Fulfilled? [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing that strikes me is that, Wow, the lives of dogs in amercia are so good. Another is dog really doesn't have the emotion of loneliness?

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 15, 2004, 9:34 PM

Post #3 of 20 (2404 views)
Shortcut

wow...thanks for the article!! Cool

i'm not sure if dogs feel lonely or not...Crazy but i do think that it's also good to like, let them have their own space and "time out" period...so you know, that they can be by themselves...just like humans have to be alone sometimes to be with ourselves..Smile

and hey..great quote!! get a mutt!! LaughSly

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

sun-arrow

Mar 16, 2004, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Is Your Dog Fulfilled? [In reply to] Can't Post

heh, actually after reading this article, i find kinda of relief that I don't need to bombard my dog with activites every moment. It's ok for him to lay around, as long as he has the 1 - 2 hour daily walk n play time. Thought something is wrong with my dog because he is always lying around.

Thanks kesuke, very interesting quote isn't it :P

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 16, 2004, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 20 (2386 views)
Shortcut

hi hi.. i read somewhere ta says dogs can sleep up to 80% in a day and tats normal also..

i think the article posted is quite good.. hehee.. big dogs need more vigourous exercise to suit their breed and smaller dogs may just like sitting on laps. I have seen some dogs look fulfilled when they find a job they like...

i think some dogs can be uncontrollable and create havoc cos they r not fulfilled too.. same la like us humans.. get geram oso if we r frustrated ma.. heheeeeTongue

sun-arrow

Mar 16, 2004, 8:30 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Is Your Dog Fulfilled? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi xyne! Your dog also sleep 80% of the day? Right now as i'm typing, my dog is dreaming at the corner of room.

luckily it's more easy to make dog fulfilled than to make human fulfilled Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2004, 12:22 AM

Post #7 of 20 (2377 views)
Shortcut

haahahahaa.. so lucky la.. to teman u in the room.. i think they do sleep abt that amt of time.. everytime i peek at them they r sleeping wan.. if they play alot that day, when we try to play oso can see their eyes like want to shut but they entertain us ony.. heeheheee

how i wish i can have the option to sleep so much.. *yawn yawn*.. i oso feeling sleepy liao..

sun-arrow

Mar 17, 2004, 4:45 AM

Post #8 of 20 (2374 views)
Shortcut

Actually he is banned from coming into the house Tongue So I smuggled him in whenever my parents aren't around Tongue Luckily he knows the command "OUT", so whenever hear gates opening, quickly said out, and he will run outside :P

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2004, 6:15 PM

Post #9 of 20 (2369 views)
Shortcut

ohhh.. we sama sama kind ah.. heheheee.. LaughLaughLaughSly
i think my folks are not so keen on the little animals...tats why sometimes ii dream of the day i have my own house la..then can do anything i want.. muaahahahaaaaaa...

usually i just bring the dog up to my room and we have a nap or watch tv together la.. heheheee... spend all afternoon brushing him.. so nice....then u can see that look on them...like in heaven like tat... hehehee

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2004, 7:36 PM

Post #10 of 20 (2363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne, sun arrow] Is Your Dog Fulfilled? [In reply to] Can't Post

my mongrel crackers was also made outdoor doggie until my aunty saw how i smuggled her up into my room every night and has so much fun...hahah...she is now allowed indoors as and when she wants even though i no longer stay with my aunt.

as for sleeping...i think they definitely do sleep the 80% of the day away unless they are working dogs. but again...rather light sleeeper unless they are very old dogs. shalom, crackers, geri and colby would alway be wagging their tails (lying down)...until nowlah...crackers is a grand lady at 91 years old....

just the other day my aunt told the grand neephews...don;t bully crackers yah...she is 91 years old...and wow...the whole garden shushed immediately and all started looking at crackers.... she's very pretty with eyes looking as if we drew eyeliner on them...think cleopatra and with her grace (until she decide to jump out of the house and be the alpha of a pack of stray dogs combing the housing estate.)FrownBlushCrazy

crackers sits like a "siew chu" i.e. roast pig and does it very gracefully...does not bite or chew...and licks ever so gently as if we are going to tear if she licks any harder! i love her...absolutely lovely...

hmmm...shalom just the total opposite...veery gansters and chor lor...

hehehe...long write up..got carries away...sorryyyyyyBlush

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2004, 7:55 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Is Your Dog Fulfilled? [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahahaa.. crackers so old liao??? tats 13 human years?? I think my oldest dog ever was my spitz, 13 yrs... very elegant lady also.. but quite chili padi too LaughSly

still find it hard to imagine shalom like gansgter.. hehehee.. must meet when she is ready... I think my tyson is ultimate gangster la.. he behaves like he is the tai-ko.. the other 2 are his 'leng-chais'... i still havent got full control over the big dogs when they are out... so still paranoid abt them turning the cafes up side down.. hehehe.. small ones r always easier.

hey, popeye oso look like a siu-chu cos the belly very big... in my yrs of having dogs ah.. those not pure breed dogs r usually very obedient wan.. probably not so easy to teach tricks n stuff but very easy on manners... those that came with mka certs ah.. aish.. all oso notti notti..chew chew Mad... probably just my luck la.. heheheee.....

ohh.. u know some beagles have dark circles around their eyes? Look like cleopatra too.. Wink

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 19, 2004, 4:03 AM

Post #12 of 20 (2357 views)
Shortcut

yeah...before this i was also thinking what activities can i get him to play so that he won't get bored...coz my boy was also like, sleeping whole day....ahhaha.....but too much sleep also not good lah....they bcome lethargic...so better to exercise them and play with them more often also.

yeah..i love your quote. Cool

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 19, 2004, 6:38 PM

Post #13 of 20 (2355 views)
Shortcut

yeah..let them meet up when her jabs are done...her jabs were on hold because her immunity was low...imagine her walking around with her lymph nodes swollen...not that she realised it. she is such an energiser bunny doggie.

actually if you have no confidence in ur bigger dogs, they will sense it too and then act to your negative energy. i used to be scared that i can't control my hubby's boxer...she weighs almost like me...and she would always bully me. when i showed her that i am the alpha of the pack of us going out...she always did as i bidded her. no nonsence. stops when i stop...no pulling me to where i don't want to go. remember, yu are teh aplha. not the furkids.

must go look at the beagle carefully. never noticed the rings...but cracks is really old...and i worry the day she has to cross the bridge...FrownFrown

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2004, 1:06 AM

Post #14 of 20 (2346 views)
Shortcut

she got swollen lymph nodes ??? ShockedShocked

i think ,y dogs take me like a mam more than the alpha.. they worry i get upset.. but oways act mischievious oso...prob cos most of the time i manja and play with them than discipline them.. have to act serious abit.. ahheem...heheheee..
they r fine if they go out without their other brothers.. if there's 3 dogs at the same time.. then i feel they gang up and rebel lorr...

would male dogs be same as female?? in terms of handling?? so far i only had male... last time my female one very good..

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2004, 8:15 PM

Post #15 of 20 (2341 views)
Shortcut

my male was spayed...so i found him ok...but can get excited and noisy when cracks is on heat...very faithful...he was staying 120m from cracks and he could sense that she was on heat...and spent many nights irritating his daddy by making funny sounds at night...that was why he got spayed...quite a waste for westies...and most of them are females.

so far i have not much probs with the dogs eveen when we take a walk together...they must respect the alpha..or no walkies. and i havee actually sent a couple of theem home when they misbehaved during the walk....quite sad to see the poor fella look out with thos puppy eyes when we continued the walk with the others...but that's the punishment forr bing naughty lor.

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2004, 10:19 PM

Post #16 of 20 (2339 views)
Shortcut

ooh.. do they like understand what u are trying to implement? misbehaving and all???

i think mine doesnt.. maybe i am not doing it right... cos when they get punished while the other dogs arent... they cant seem to think ..oppp.. better behave next time.. instead they will cry n complaint.. and then cant even focus on me cos all over the other dogs outside...CrazyCrazyCrazy .. i think my capacity is beyond 3 monsters sometimes.. PiratePiratePirate

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 5:50 PM

Post #17 of 20 (2330 views)
Shortcut

oh...even when i come back afteer the walks, i would still the punished one the cold shoulder ...no pats, no food. so someone else will have to feed the punished one lar.

its hard actually but theey need to learn otherwise...they will know how to get the better of us and that could pose a prob when we take them out and bump into unfriendly folks.

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 6:10 PM

Post #18 of 20 (2328 views)
Shortcut

shalom understands your mood and knows that she behaved wrongly??

i have a problem with mine cos there's competition... harvey has a tidak apa attitude.. so playful. Pops is more on the kan-chiong side. He likes to climb on me, and altho i have turned away n shoo him not to do it, he still does cos all tats on his mind is get me to sayang him and not harvey... and harvey rarely allows tat with ease... so.. in tat sense, i cant seem to get them to behave... and harvey gets soo excited he runs and never breaks in time and knocks us.. i do worry abt him bowling down an elderly next time...Pirate ....

the only way i can think of is ignore them totally, then they will not be expecting me to play or sayang them.. sigh.. which is of course impossible lerrr.. Unsure

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 10:41 PM

Post #19 of 20 (2324 views)
Shortcut

hmmm...looks like the only option is to give them the cold shoulder totally when they misbehave...or even crate the naughty one up.

pretty72
Novice

Aug 15, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #20 of 20 (2003 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hahahahaa.. crackers so old liao??? tats 13 human years?? I think my oldest dog ever was my spitz, 13 yrs... very elegant lady also.. but quite chili padi too LaughSly

still find it hard to imagine shalom like gansgter.. hehehee.. must meet when she is ready... I think my tyson is ultimate gangster la.. he behaves like he is the tai-ko.. the other 2 are his 'leng-chais'... i still havent got full control over the big dogs when they are out... so still paranoid abt them turning the cafes up side down.. hehehe.. small ones r always easier.

hey, popeye oso look like a siu-chu cos the belly very big... in my yrs of having dogs ah.. those not pure breed dogs r usually very obedient wan.. probably not so easy to teach tricks n stuff but very easy on manners... those that came with mka certs ah.. aish.. all oso notti notti..chew chew Mad... probably just my luck la.. heheheee.....

ohh.. u know some beagles have dark circles around their eyes? Look like cleopatra too.. Wink

I have to say that the breed of dog has very little to do with the ease of training when it comes to tricks and obedience. It has more to do with methods and consistancy of training. I have had many dogs over the years of all types more mox breeds than peer breds, and have been able to teach them all the same tricks in the same period of time. Some dogs may have limitations because of their body type, not because of lack of intelligence...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my