Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
puppy loves to chew :(

huizhi
Novice

Mar 10, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1787 views)
Shortcut
puppy loves to chew :( Can't Post

hi! straight to the point, as said in the tittle, my puppy of 4 months old now, loves to Chew! he chews on every single thing he lays his hand (paws) on. I've got him quite abit of chew toys. more than what i bought for my old doggie.

And he has loves to tag with my feet. i wouldn't mind it so much, but he plays tag by running with his mouth open and grip my feet. It hurts alot really. i've got scars to prove it.

So anyone out there who has an idea on how to curb this please please help!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2004, 1:24 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [huizhi] puppy loves to chew :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Oh yes ... understand ... puppy teeth can be real sharp ...

At 4 months ... his chewing is to be expected (teething and all that) ... and it's great that you have lots of chew toys for him ... Smile ...

Puppies use their mouth to explore and in their play ... just watch a litter of puppies - often pups will run and try to grip one another with their teeth ... this is normal and in fact, what pups should be allowed to do - so that they learn from their siblings what is and is not acceptable bite pressure.

It may not be so good to completely prevent your pup from using his teeth or mouth because:

(a) It is natural for pups & dogs to use their mouths to explore the world around them.

(b) If an owner prevents a pup from using its mouth completely, then the pup may grow up not understanding or learning how to control its bite pressure ... and such a dog can accidentally bite too hard ...

It may be better to train a pup to distinguish between a soft bite (mouthing) and a hard bite ... Better to train a pup to tell the difference between what is acceptable and unacceptable bite pressure ... and to train the dog to develop a soft mouth ...

Check this thread ... http://www.puppy.com.my/...ing%20chewing;#76028

Do also check other threads for more info & the internet for relevant training articles ... Think about getting a good training book/manual.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 11, 2004, 1:30 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my