Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Not barking at strangers

Dandelion
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 5:47 AM

Post #1 of 4 (973 views)
Shortcut
Not barking at strangers Can't Post

Dog doesn't bark at strangers but at foreign objects only. How to train it to bark at unknown people? In fact, it warms up to other people too easily!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 7:40 AM

Post #2 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dandelion] Not barking at strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

It may be time to learn about dogs ... Get a good dog book ... in the meantime check the threads under "barking" ... "guarding" ...

And you will realise that:

(a) Dogs that warm up to people are good dogs ... friendly dogs are good positive confident dogs ...

(b) Dogs that bark anxiously at people are usually dogs with nervous temperament ... and this is not so good ...

(c) You will also learn that as pups get older - they will instinctively get more territorial ... and their guarding instincts will develop ... and they will learn to bark ... all by themselves ...

But if you wish your dog to be an instant houseguarding machine ... get a burgler alarm ...

Cheers ... Wink

sweesan
Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2004, 9:04 AM

Post #3 of 4 (966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Not barking at strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

my dog doesnt barks if he sees new people in the house .. instead he wags his tail all the time and try to climb on to the person... and sometimes i'm afraid that he'll bite the persons pants or something....
not a bad thing... Wink

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #4 of 4 (963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] Not barking at strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

You posted:

" ... my dog doesnt barks if he sees new people in the house .. instead he wags his tail all the time and try to climb on to the person... and sometimes i'm afraid that he'll bite the persons pants or something ..."

Think on this ... why should your dog bark at someone you have allowed into the house?

I would certainly prefer a dog that welcomes people I have welcomed ... rather than have a dog that barks incessantly at welcomed visitors.

As for climbing up on visitors ... please the threads on "mounting", "humping" ... "dominance" ... These are issues quite separate and different from barking at strangers ...

If you are seriously concerned about your dog accidentially damaging a visitor's clothes ... teaching your pup to bark is not the solution ... It's about time to start training your dog to "sit, down & stay" ... again check the threads for training suggestions ...

Train your dog to properly greet visitors and friends ... the easiest way is to start with "sit" ... so when friends visit ... your dog sits on command and behaves in an acceptable manner ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 1, 2004, 6:39 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my