Where do unwanted/unsold pups go?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

kesuke
Doggyman

Feb 29, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #1 of 196 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? Can't Post

we (kcys, lovedoggies and i) were having a discussion and were wondering where do all the unsold or unwanted puppies/dogs in the petshops go? does the petshop owner return them to where they got them? do they sell them at lower prices? what will happen to these doggies?

anyone who has any answers, pls share. we appreicate it. Smile

thanks!

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 196 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

harlo girl,

hmm...hmmm...my friend worked in a petshop before. here's what he told me..
"unwanted" pups will be transfer to another branch(if any) or they'll sell it at a cheaper price.

but if really really cannot sell, i think they'll use them for breeding purposes.Frown

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 1, 2004, 7:48 PM

Post #3 of 196 (4928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

does every petshop practises this concept? aiyoo...the pups are so poor thing, rite? Unsure

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #4 of 196 (4925 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

As far as most petshops are concerned ... a puppy (or any other livestock) is stock-in-trade ... and as with all other forms of stock in trade, stock in trade must move (as in, be sold) ... live stock that does not move is a liability and a drain on finances, with cost of feeding the pups eating into profit.

As such ... and in order to cut losses and maintain profit margins ... older or unsold pups will be sold at lower prices or sold to other pet shops (where the customers may not be so picky or knowledgable) for onward sale ... Puppy millers and backyard breeders will also be on a look out for these "cheap-sale" dogs to add to their breeding stock ...

Cheers Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 9:43 PM

Post #5 of 196 (4922 views)
Shortcut

but if really really cannot sell, i think they'll use them for breeding purposes.Frown

well if the worst and rejects are used for breeding program.............hmmmmmm wonder what that will developed intoTongue

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 12:51 AM

Post #6 of 196 (4913 views)
Shortcut

oh ... really?? that is so sad...Unsure but how can they breed them if they are still a pup??

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 12:58 AM

Post #7 of 196 (4912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

urgghh....they are being treated like money making and breeding machines and a mere "product" that has to be moved in order not to use up the shop owner's resources. and they actually use these unsold pups to breed???

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 2, 2004, 2:12 AM

Post #8 of 196 (4910 views)
Shortcut

kesuke, puppies in petshop kesian. *sniff*sniff*

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 3:02 AM

Post #9 of 196 (4908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kcsy] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm not too sure la..but the petshop inside midvalley(u should know which one i'm refering to) practises such concept. my fren worked there before.Unsure

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 3:05 AM

Post #10 of 196 (4908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

more reject pups!!FrownFrown

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 3:06 AM

Post #11 of 196 (4909 views)
Shortcut

well...maybe they'll start breeding them on their first heat. these ppl dun care bout the pups' welfare. you can only see $$$ in their eyes.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 7:28 AM

Post #12 of 196 (4899 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

I am not saying that all or most pet shops breed the "unwanted dogs" ... mostly, they will lower the price and sell ...

But puppy millers and backyard breeders are usually on the look out for cheap pedigree puppies to add to their breeding pool ...

I remember meeting a guy who was going round trying to find a cheap female Labrador ... He had already collected 1 male Lab, and a couple of GSDs (all of which, he acquired at fairly low cost, and one of the GSDs already had hip issues at 6months) ...

But as a rule, most pet shops don't usually end up with a lot of pups they cannot sell ... it's their business afterall, and most of them are quite good at what they do, and they seldom miscalculate and take in more live-stock that they can comfortably sell ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 2, 2004, 7:30 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 8:51 PM

Post #13 of 196 (4885 views)
Shortcut

yeah...i know...FrownFrown

sigh...though we want to help them, buying them is not the solution...PirateUnsureFrown

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #14 of 196 (4885 views)
Shortcut

yeah...they only see the pupies as money making machines...MadMadMad

how do we stop these ppl????!!!

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 8:58 PM

Post #15 of 196 (4885 views)
Shortcut

thanks surchin...for your info. Smile

i think this should kinda serve as a 'wake up call' for some ppl on how petshops operate.

arrggghhh...these idiotic ppl!!!!!!! MadMad

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 2, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #16 of 196 (4883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks to everyone for the info. Smile

it's really an eye opener to know such stuffs. now i think i will have a totally different perspective when i look at puppies in petshops. sigh.....really pity them. Unsure

but like surchin mention, not all petshops are like that, rite? sigh...at least, there are still hope for this society lah.

used to think of opening a petshop but i think i can't because sayang to sell them off. keep them for myselfs. then, ppl can only see cannot buy. hahahaha....Tongue

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 2, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #17 of 196 (4881 views)
Shortcut

yep....so now we know how the petshops operate...so never buy from petshops, even if you think you are helping the pups, you are actually benefiting the ppl behind all these.

although not all petshops are like that, but they still get their puppies from backyard breeders and puppymills and the cycle still goes this way...Unsure

eh, you keep them for yourself and ppl can only see but cannot buy...that sounds like a zoo lah......heheheheheehhhe........SlySly

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 3, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #18 of 196 (4872 views)
Shortcut

why are all backyard puppies/puppymills like tat wan? the best is find the source and sue them!!

btw, if i actually found a breeder, how in the world do i know whether they are responsible breeders or not? and it is so hard to find breeders. Unsure

yeah loh...open a doggy zoo. hahahah....

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 3, 2004, 1:47 AM

Post #19 of 196 (4869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kcsy, kesuke] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like in every profession or trade, there are good and bad pet shops ... And I think, by and large, petshop owners are not ogres or monsters ... they (like the rest of us) are trying to make a living ... and some of them love animals too ...

The pet shop owners we know, tell us that the livestock trade can bring in as much as 30% or more of their profits ... And that makes it very hard to resist ... It's a dilemma, without any easy solution because the money from selling livestock is so good ... We know of one pet shop that tries to just bring in animals from breeders they know ... Although that doesn't really tackle or resolve the problem of backyard breeding ... at least it's something ...

Maybe one possible solution is for someone to open a petshop (and accepting that livestock trade is necessary if you wish to make decent profit) ... but instead of just taking & selling pups indiscriminately, the pet shop owner to set up proper contacts and to act as conduit to bring people looking for dogs together with responsible breeders ... and then to make a commission from the sales ... Thus, avoiding the worse of the problems associated with backyard breeding ... and impulse buying ... and still hopefully generate reasonable income for all parties ...

Why are all backyard puppies/puppymills like tat wan?

Because it's relatively easy money ... if one doesn't care about the quality of pups being produced, then it's not that expensive producing litter after litter and selling them wherever and whenever ... to whoever ...

And if the breeder doesn't care, then don't even need a yard, any space will do ...

We found one so-called breeder who had mated a bitch every season since she was a year plus ... sold pups for $$$, and the bitch died at age 7 ... when we saw the bitch, she looked so old and tired ... But who cares? Just get another bitch ...

How to identify a responsible breeder? ...

A "responsible breeder" is actually made up of 2 basic elements ... First Element: A "responsible breeder" is also a "good" breeder, because he/she will only mate correct dogs (based on an intimate understanding of health factors, temperament, conformation, genetics, bloodlines & breed standard) ... Second Element: And a "good breeder" is also a "responsible breeder" if he/she does everthing possible to ensure that every pup (not kept by the breeder) goes to a good home ...

Just keep the above in mind, and check up on the breeder ... be prepared to visit the breeder & ask questions ... If the breeder is arrogrant or rude - then walk away ... he probably breeds rude dogs too ... *LOL*

Hard to find responsible breeder? ...

Well, yes and no ... depends on the breed and depends on how much time, effort and touble the individual person is prepared to go to - to find the correct breeder ... and the correct pup ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Mar 3, 2004, 2:12 AM)

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 3, 2004, 3:02 AM

Post #20 of 196 (4853 views)
Shortcut

actually you can find some articles on breeding and how to spot a resonsible breeder. remember i told you you must ask them questions? like to know if they really know their breed? surchinmy has also gave some pointers. that is what ppl should do if ever anyone wants to breed their own dog.

check out some threads on responsible breeding:

http://www.puppy.com.my/...le%20breeder;#123303

http://www.puppy.com.my/...le%20breeder;#117136

http://www.puppy.com.my/...le%20breeder;#115725

and this one...might give you an idea on how to ask questions when you find a breeder..=)

http://www.puppy.com.my/...dog%20friend;#117138

also, it is ALWAYS ALWAYS worth your time and effort to look for a responsible breeder and get a healthy and sound pup in return.

on a lighter note....ehhehehe....yeah, a doggy zoo would be appropriate too for ppl who have no time to keep their dogs but love dogs....ehehhehehe......Sly

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 3, 2004, 3:14 AM

Post #21 of 196 (4853 views)
Shortcut

yes, we understand that petshops are just trying to make a living. but we strongly disagree with the way they are doing it. they (some) only see money in their eyes and all dogs bring money to them. it is true that by selling dogs they can really earn alot in a short amount of time. i have a friend who her family runs a petshop and own a farm (breeding farm...not sure if they are puppymillers), once told me that they can sell a shih tzu for up to RM800 while the "real" cost is only RM200. and what is worse, the so-called "birth cert" can even be bought and they can just simply put a dog and a bitch's name on the cert and sell it off as a "real" cert for the pup coz sometimes they don't even know who is the sire and dam coz they have too many dogs!

this is really scary coz they are not honest at all and if someone wants to breed the dog, they end up having wrong information on the sires, dams and grandsires/dams.

but you had a great idea there which i have also thought of. petshops can help by either providing responsible breeders' contacts to clients OR only bring in puppies from the breeders they know. at least this way, breeders can sell off their pet quality puppies and the petshops get some commission for recommending them.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 3, 2004, 7:08 AM

Post #22 of 196 (4846 views)
Shortcut

how to stop ler??Frown demand = supply...

nathalie
Doggyman

Mar 3, 2004, 9:05 AM

Post #23 of 196 (4840 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

i have a differing opinion...

one existing petshop i know, who actually sign agreements with their customers when they sell their last few pups to the buyers. among the terms included are no breedings allowed, they even give these unsold pups for adoption so that these pups will find a genuine loving owners.

but speaking about it, actually these unsold puppies have better lives n better owners than those which are firstly sold...reason..these buyers are genuine buyers who buy them for what they are..not for their beauty or their breed.

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 4, 2004, 1:09 AM

Post #24 of 196 (4820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi nathalie

i really didn't know about such concept exist but it is kinda cool. maybe the petshops in penang only?

it would be really cool if they could let ppl adopt the puppies like that but then if everyone found out about it, then how are those petshops going to make business wor? everyone would be waiting for the dog to be adopted. Crazy

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

kcsy
K9 Maniac

Mar 4, 2004, 2:03 AM

Post #25 of 196 (4818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy, kesuke] Where do unwanted/unsold pups go? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, surchin and kesuke for all the details. i shall read the thread soon. i think it is going to take me a whole week to finish reading it. Crazy hopefully i can be a better dog owner after all this then. Wink

Wink Krystle & Oki Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my