Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
he pees everywhere but the newspaper

noti
Novice

Feb 26, 2004, 4:16 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1534 views)
Shortcut
he pees everywhere but the newspaper Can't Post

Hi! I'm having a major crisis! My 2 mth old pup pees everywhere but the newspaper! We've tried housebreaking n even leaving a piece of his pee stained newspaper at the place we wanted him to pee on. He still doesn't recognise it! What else can I do? Please advice! Is he still too young to be trained?

Niki

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2004, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noti] he pees everywhere but the newspaper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Niki, what I did with my puppies at that age was, I left them in a 3x3feet fence. Placed a plastic travelling crate in there and covered the remaining floor area with newspaper. They slept in the crate and didnt dirty it. They always poop and pee on newspaper and got used to that. No accidents cos no floor uncovered by newspapers. You have to be aware that their bowel control is limited until the puppies are 6 months and still not totally reliable until 1 year. So, expectations have to be very low. I did that for about 2 months before reducing the newspapers and exposing some floor. At 7 months old now they are no longer confined, but I still leave a sheet of newspaper at the drain as a toilet sign. They go for the paper most of the time but still mess up once or twice a week. Hope this helps. Good luck,J

noti
Novice

Feb 28, 2004, 4:11 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] he pees everywhere but the newspaper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! thanks for ur advice.I think we gave our puppy too much freedom to run around n he kinda forget where his toilet is. Do u think that can happen. I think I should try ur way.Thank you so much!Smile

Niki

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 28, 2004, 5:47 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noti] he pees everywhere but the newspaper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Niki, yeah you are probably right - too much too fast. Maybe it is best to start from the beginning and ground the basics. Dont be in a hurry. Just imagine the way you want your puppy on his first birthday - know where to potty, hahahha. It is fine to let your puppy run free when you are there to supervise any toilet needs. But best not to let mistakes happen when you are away cos that may form habits you dont want. That will also tell the doggy it is fun time when you are in but can settle down when you are out. Anyway, what kind of puppy do you have? Good luck,J

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2004, 1:43 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1512 views)
Shortcut

i'm putting the papers.. but the thing is... he tears the papers apart and makes the whole place very messy... any alternatives ?

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 29, 2004, 2:34 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] he pees everywhere but the newspaper [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sweesan, yeah they will do that. Even at 7 months when I put just one stack of newspapers, they did their shredding machine routine yesterday. Try to see how it can be made easier for yourself. When I used the 3x3 feet temporary fencing, I got the NST which comes in bigger sheets and placed the edges under the crate and under the fence. Later, when I used the drain, I made the width of the fence slightly narrower than the width of the newspaper, so I can hold down the papers with the fence. And overlapping the papers make it more difficult to dismantle. Hope this helps. If it is any consolation, you wont have to do it for long if you do a good job. Even then, I persisted for about 4 months before they got the hang of it. Believe me, it is worth it in the end - you get a wonderfully trained doggie. Best regards,J

noti
Novice

Mar 2, 2004, 4:39 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1503 views)
Shortcut

My pup is a pomeranian mix. Actually, the other day, he actually sniff the newspaper n then peed on it! I was so happy! But, not for long cos in the evening, he went back to his routine again.... hmmm.....

niki

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my