Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How old should a puppy be to go for training?

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Sep 21, 2001, 11:25 AM

Post #1 of 14 (5145 views)
Shortcut
How old should a puppy be to go for training? Can't Post

How old should a puppy be to go for training and how do i house train a puppy?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Sep 22, 2001, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 14 (5139 views)
Shortcut
Re: How old should a puppy be to go for training? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is best to attend dog training class with your puppy after he/she has completed the initial three vaccinations which is required for his/her protection.

When attending dog training class, the instructor will actually train you so that you are able to train your dog correctly. Hence the point is for you to pick up the proper dog training technique from this class. If you know all these technique, you can then train your dog yourself at home.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Oct 3, 2001, 11:07 PM

Post #3 of 14 (5123 views)
Shortcut

Well, first of all I agree with Khoo, that is so right to do so. Just wanted to add, that you can normally train your puppy at home at any time, however, their first iniative is to play first, learn later. So, if you know the basic training, it would be better you train it yourself at home for the first 6 month. Dog are best to be train at any process(obedience,guard,etc) after that period of time. Buying any dog training book could do. Those book make a piece of cake of training dog! My suggestion is the "Complete DOG TRAINING MANUAL" by Dr.Bruce Fogle.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 17, 2001, 7:28 PM

Post #4 of 14 (5078 views)
Shortcut

anyone wanna help me or teach me train?? MKA class is full and my pup is already 6 months old..by the time next class is 9 mths old..so I don't know what to do...will 9 months be too late??

Gin
Novice

Nov 18, 2001, 12:57 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5070 views)
Shortcut

No. 9 months old is still not too late. In fact, a 9 months old puppy is easier to train than a 6 months old puppy. 6 months old puppy tend to play more than learn.

cdman
Novice

Nov 19, 2001, 11:21 PM

Post #6 of 14 (5060 views)
Shortcut
Training for now?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed. But you can also try to teach your dog some basic command by your own for now if you want to. Like sit, stay or hand(or maybe use shake) just in case to make it easier when come to real training next time. Sit would be the easiest at first for me. Just some tasty, juicy snack will do the trick...if the dog is quite persistent to sit by his own, just use a chook-chain, lightly pull the chain from his neck, and press on his back. Just when he sat, reward him and praise him with higher gentle tone. Good boy, thank you, good dog, anything you want, your choice.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 22, 2001, 7:10 AM

Post #7 of 14 (5044 views)
Shortcut

Since the coming training class that will start this Sunday is full, you may wish to consider registering for the next class now to book your place.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 22, 2001, 11:26 AM

Post #8 of 14 (5041 views)
Shortcut

I've already looked into signing up for Feb ..but I'm wondering...which one should I sign up for?? What's the difference between Puppy Kindergarten,Basic (Canine good Citizen Course) and Pre-Novice??

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 22, 2001, 4:45 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5035 views)
Shortcut

Go straight into Basic when your dog is 9 months old. Pre-Novice is tough for beginner.

If you are serious in joining the coming training class, we are able to secure a place in the puppy class for you. After the completion of the puppy class, you can proceed to the pre-novice class if you wish. Please let us know so that we can make the necessary arrangement.

By the way, you need to be a MKA member to join the training class. The total damage is RM 100 for the membership joining fee, RM 55.00 for the membership annual fee and RM 100.00 for the puppy training class.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 23, 2001, 3:13 PM

Post #10 of 14 (5020 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Khoo..I am already an MKA member..am actually waiting for Susan to send me the form...hasn't arrived yet though..if you could, could you please get me a place..don't want to end up on the waiting list..please let me know what information I need to give you..

By the way, I'm thinking of showing my dog..I'm actually joining this class because I know nothing but am interested to learn but don't know where to start except to go for classes...my email is rainbowbrite@gohip.com or if you would prefer me to email you, please give me your email address..thanks :)

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 24, 2001, 7:22 AM

Post #11 of 14 (5010 views)
Shortcut

Kindly check your email

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2001, 1:43 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5001 views)
Shortcut
Thankiessssssss~~!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

To Khoo and Derrick..Thank You!! :) You know for what..!! I was jumping up and down when I got Khoo's email..thank you SO MUCH for helping!! :P You made my day..!! :) *hugs*

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 24, 2001, 2:17 PM

Post #13 of 14 (4989 views)
Shortcut
Re: Thankiessssssss~~!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No big deal Miss. Be sincere and honest with me & I shall always treat you like a lady.
The clerk at MKA has already registered you for the obedience class so that your place in secured. Mr. Khoo will be sending you the official application form and when you have completed all the required particulars, you could then go to MKA to pay or pay during orientation.
Regards.
Derrickok.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 24, 2001, 3:16 PM

Post #14 of 14 (4983 views)
Shortcut
Re: Thankiessssssss~~!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your willingness to spend time training your dog is definitely an important step in your dog keeping hobby. Keep it up ;-)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my