Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Click my profile to know who I am

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 2, 2002, 2:01 AM

Post #1 of 14 (3136 views)
Shortcut
Click my profile to know who I am Can't Post

My association with dogs began when I was ten years old. They are magnificent creatures and they are unique in character. This applies to both pedigreed and non-pedigreed dogs. It would not be far wrong to say that I have seen a lot, heard a lot but I dare not laid claim to know the lot, because at my age, I am still learning. Knowledge is something that is never ending. It is with this concept, that I am still trying to solve some of the nagging problems in dogs especially the Dalmatians and hope to share some of my experience with anyone interested and serious about keeping, breeding or just owning a dog for the shows or as pet.

There is no such thing as a “Perfect”/“Ideal” dog anywhere in the world. The only perfect dog you find is from paintings and textbooks that has been doctored with cosmetic changes and its standard and specifications being written all over it. So don’t be fooled by people telling you that he has a beautiful and perfect specimen. Beautiful perhaps, but not perfect. What is important to a would be dog owner is to have a balanced animal. What is meant by balanced could well be summarised as follows: shape & size; colour & markings; temperament & behavior; pedigree & bloodline. If all things are about equal, then you are reasonably assured of a quality animal, which will not be a disappointment.

Was I influenced and inspired by Disney’s 101 that the Dalmatians was the choice of my breed? The answer is a positive NO. A person of my status will never and can never be influenced by motion pictures, otherwise there is Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, Beethoven and perhaps many more to come. I select the Dalmatians on the basis that it is the most challenging and unique dog for breeding amongst the 193 recognised breeds in the doggie kingdom. Life must have challenges, mistakes can ill afford, risks must be well calculated; only then when you are prepared for all these you are on the right path in finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This is the philosophy in breeding and when I have successfully brought up a litter of Dalmatian puppies and they are ready to be placed in new homes at the end of the six to seven weeks of toil, the immense satisfaction is beyond words to express.

To those of you who are interested in this breed, I have the knowledge and expertise to guide and advise you all the way. My doors are opened 24 hour a day. Public Holidays and Sundays are not in my vocabulary. I am only too pleased to share and impart some of the peculiarities related to the Dalmatians with you. If I cannot help you with answers that are convincing, the Internet could or perhaps overseas breeders may have the answers for you. I am always your friendly breeder and no matter what you want to know my answers are impartial, sincere, and unbiased. There will be no sales talk, no pressure on you to buy my puppies. You may not be qualified to purchase my puppies or you may change your mind when you know more about the Dalmatians. But I can assure you after your visit you would have acquired the wisdom in selecting the correct breeder; the one who will always have your interests at heart.

(This post was edited by Derrickok on Feb 20, 2002, 4:22 AM)
Attachments: Monk&pups.jpg (50.4 KB)
  Puppies.jpg (40.6 KB)
  ~max0007.jpg (120 KB)

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2002, 4:23 AM

Post #2 of 14 (3108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Click my profile to know who I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh eh..can I please have the story of how you got involved in showing?? Smile

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 17, 2002, 5:25 AM

Post #3 of 14 (3106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Click my profile to know who I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Like this Ah? Can, no problem/pingpong. But long long story aw. Start from 1963?
Let me prepare dossier in words doc, copy,paste onto forum, then no need to waste net money eh.
Visit again, perhaps a day or 2.
Ta Ta!

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2002, 7:07 AM

Post #4 of 14 (3104 views)
Shortcut

Oggie Dokies. Will be watching this space. Smile

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 17, 2002, 9:10 AM

Post #5 of 14 (3102 views)
Shortcut

Dog showing is a disease that has no cure. Despite of the new millennium in advanced medical research, doctors are still baffled as to the cause. Is it a germ? a virus? a bug? or something from out-space/center of the earth?
There is no clear-cut diagnosis has yet been established.

I am one of those contracted this dreadful disease since 1963 and believe you me, it gives you all the ecstasy in life and also the worst of depression that could be described.

It seemed quite harmless as a spectator to a dog show at The Chin Woo Stadium(Now demolished) situated in Jalan Davidson, near The Merdeka Stadium. All I wanted was a day out to look at the various breeds of dogs on parade. Little did I realise that taking part is more fun than looking.
The next day, I went to MKA which was located in Hwa-Li Building in Jalan Ampang, There I started to enquire how to become a member.

I needed a dog for the next show. Dogs I always have, pure breed or otherwise, it is up to MKA to decide. First they check the pedigree. Then they asked a few questions, if the committee is satisfied, your application is certified. I was one of those that looked them straight in the eyes even though I was lying through my teeth, nevertheless, a liar must be steady.

And so a dog was registered, now I waited for the next show to matter.
It was a six-year-old Alsatian male, which followed me home from UK.
In those days Championship Dog Shows were irregular. Four shows a year is rare, three are the norm.

On my maiden appearance I was placed 3rd, considering my experience then, it was more than I could wish for. It was also a wish that I had not bargained for, because the bug had drawn its first drop of blood. To win I needed better and nicer looking dogs. So airmail, telegram, no e-mail then were sent to UK for dogs. Some came back with fantastic reports; some came back and said we eat dogs. Six months down the road, Alsatians were imported one after another, until I was the top breeder, the top exhibitor, so much so that The Late Sultan of Kelantan came to know about it and visited my establishment on several occasions.

A chapter is closed. What bothered me most was the thought of staying on top. You need money, planning and strategy. Besides, I have already achieved my objective, why bother to defend, might as well retired as a hero rather than ending up with zero.

Who said there was no 7 year itch? It was seven-year after I got married, and 2X7 years I had retired from the rectangle show ring that one fine Sunday, we traveled to Malacca just to see a dog show. The Mrs. innocently thought just to see, but the bug in me said observe, survey, as well as to see. By these three words, the bug meant; observe the exhibitors/dogs, survey the most suitable and challenge breeds, and see you again in the show ring!

A chapter closed and a chapter begins. The Dalmatians was my choice. These spotted beauties, are something I considered most challenging to exhibit. If I were to return to Alsatians (GSD), it was only a resurrection. But the Dallies have so many qualities that they required someone who is willing to research and read all about them before you could really appreciate them. And so with 12 years for being a Dalmatian man, there is little I have omitted. I always maintained that if anyone could keep a Dalmatian in tiptop condition, other breed of dogs will only be chicken feed to this breeder.

Having said what is appropriate, I am now concentrating on my own breeding. In other words, the off springs of those imported from UK and Australia, which by the way are all Malaysian Champions have all been retired. It is important for a serious breeder to exhibit his/her dog/s, because by doing so, you are in a position to tell others –friends, prospective puppy buyers, stud services- that your animal/s have gone in front of a judge in All Breed Championship Dog Shows and was awarded blah blah……….!!! It is more convincing and carries a higher degree of recognition than an animal that you yourself claimed is beautiful but had never been shown or put to the challenge/test.

Need more information? Come and join the new breed.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3100 views)
Shortcut

sniff sniff..haha..Derrick need kleenex when I read the part when you stopped showing..wahh..didn't know you showed Alsatians before wor..not bad man..maiden show also can get third..I don't think I can even get anyting...Smile

Didn't your Mrs know you used to show dogs?? LOL..she rekindled your wowo passion..could I please ask..and you can give me the reply in a nutshell..what is so challenging about dalmatians??

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 4:31 AM

Post #7 of 14 (3079 views)
Shortcut

Because Dalmatians shed their coat throughout the year and that kept the Mrs busy sweeping the floor as a result, NO NAGGING lah. Busy sweeping floor what.
This is a nut answer in a nutshell.

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 14, 2002, 9:40 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3053 views)
Shortcut

They are also very good at doing this.
Attachments: Chewed up slippers.jpg (69.6 KB)

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2002, 1:10 AM

Post #9 of 14 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Doesn't look so bad Derrick...your slippers can still be worn....with a bit of heels showing hahahaha....just make sure u don't step on any dog poo Shocked

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 15, 2002, 4:42 AM

Post #10 of 14 (3025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Click my profile to know who I am [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take your adivce Sweetie Pie.
Don't step on dog poo, and what else?
Keep 2 legs intact and don't kick dogs' A55.
Small dogs OK but not large breeds. How about Jack Russell?

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2002, 7:42 AM

Post #11 of 14 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Mad Not JRTs no....oh and if u do decide to do some kicking just remember to not wear your slippers when u do it....afterwards front toes also get bitten back heels also get bitten how to show your dalmatians then?

jason
Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2002, 7:54 AM

Post #12 of 14 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Click my profile to know who I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no ... better don't crack our Uncle Derrick's old bones, if not ... his dalmations will be so pity then...Tongue

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 19, 2002, 4:10 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2995 views)
Shortcut

this message will be deleted after U have seen it.

(This post was edited by Derrickok on Mar 19, 2002, 4:38 PM)

zitian

Mar 28, 2002, 6:53 AM

Post #14 of 14 (2976 views)
Shortcut

hi mr derrick .. can u tell me more bout showing a dog?? i'm interested in it..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my