Naughty Beagle!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

meiyoong

Feb 19, 2004, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 55 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Naughty Beagle! Can't Post

Hi guys,

A friend of mine owned a beagle which is around 1++ years old. Although it can be consider as an adult dog, but his behaviour really evil. He bit all the things in the garden and even worse he had bitten my friend's father motorbike seat with a big hole.Not only that he also bit off my friend's car plat number.My friend had punish him but after a day, he will repeat the same mistakes. Please advice.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 6:11 PM

Post #2 of 55 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Naughty Beagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...

I wouldn't say that his behaviour is evil.. Just a little bit destructive... Tongue

Hmmmm... Punishment wouldn't work for the dog as they may not understand what they have done wrong. Best is to say "Hait" or "No" in a low growly voice to let them know that they are not doing something right.

It is also important to catch them in the act, so that you can discourage that behaviour. After telling "hait" or "no", move them away from the object and give them something else to do. If the dog observes the "hait" or "no", remember to praise him.

Is the beagle bored at home? They could be very curious of their surroundings but must be taught what they can and cannot do, i.e. rules of the house.

Anyway, a lot of people have used this trick, where they dilute vinegar with water and sprayed in on the objects that he likes to bite. This will work in tandem with teaching the dog NOT to bite the objects.

Hmmmm.... Hope this helps...

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

meiyoong

Feb 19, 2004, 8:20 PM

Post #3 of 55 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] Naughty Beagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't thin the beagle is bored coz my friend's house compound is quite big for him. Moreover in the morning the beagle will be tied while at night the beagle will be let off. That's why most of the naughty act is done during at night where my friend and his family members are not aware of it.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

Post #4 of 55 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm...

How long will the dog be tied up for? I'd guess your friend had better train him first so that at night you won't get such a problem.... That's why if the beagle does those things at night and your friend punishes him in the morning, he won't understand why you punish him for because the act has already been done.

Having a wide compound is great but if the dog doesn't have something to do at night besides roaming around, it'll amuse themselves this way.

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

meiyoong

Feb 20, 2004, 4:02 AM

Post #5 of 55 (3951 views)
Shortcut

Sometimes my friend caught the beagle in the act and scolded it immediately but the beagle so stubborn and repeat it again. Another thing is the beagle seems like lots of energy and would not get tired. He seems like hyperactive. The beagle I see other beagle also not like that. Morever my friend also doesn't have time to train his dog.

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 20, 2004, 4:38 PM

Post #6 of 55 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmm...

Beagles have a lot of energy and they need loads of exercise. Best to take the beagle out for walks if possible... Unimpressed

As for training, you can always make a little bit of time for training. It doesn't have to be an hour long, it can be as short as 20minutes per day. Smile Anyway, it is best to put in some time for training, even when you don't have much time. I don't have time to take Snoopy for obedience school, but I do allocate at least 20 mins a day to train her. However, I have to admit, during the 1st 2 mths with her was hard because we have to take care of such a small pup...

Sad to say, no quick fixes here, to modify this behaviour, you have to divert his energy to something else to do. An intermediate solution is probably to restrict his area but that is hard for a beagle.. Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 21, 2004, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 55 (3937 views)
Shortcut

Hi Meiyoong, that Beagle isn't evil unless my 2 are as well. I guess, part of being a Beagle is being energetic and willful. I walk my puppies about 3 km everyday and sometimes they still have the strength to trash around at home. They will behave themselves in my presence but everything is fair game when I am not with them. They chew - anything and everything. So either you keep your Beagles with you or you have to keep chewables away from them. Good luck to your friend and his Beagle, J

Concorn
ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 11:16 PM

Post #8 of 55 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Hi!! All,

Well, I got a 2 mths old beagle girl. Taking a female, thought that it's easier to train her. She is hyperactive like meiyoong said and very notty too. But she really picked up fast. She now knows how to sit when ordered to/or without. Normally, I will praise her and sometime give her treats..

Her mouth is so itchy. She would bite anything, including us... OUCH!! Been teaching and giving her toys to chew but she still prefer to bite us.. Why!! I know it's the teething problem but how long do we need to face this???PirateCrazy

Jz hope that she would stop all this when she's getting older.. How did u teach ur snoopy?

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 4:26 AM

Post #9 of 55 (3920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Concorn] Naughty Beagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings!!!

Hehehehee.. 2mths old Beagle. She must be a cutie!! TongueTongue

Hmmm.. Mouthing happens a lot during the teething period and that can last from 2-6mths? Anyway, here is a tip to train,

1. When she bites, scream "Ow!!" Then she'll know when she bites, there is pain coming from the human... LaughLaugh

2. Substitute your hand with a toy, esp when she tries to mouth/bite for the 1st time...

Anyway, Snoopy does mouth from time to time esp when I try to pick up her paw. Its a reflex action and to rectify it, I'm teaching her hand and she is getting it... TongueTongue

Be patient... It'll be cute when you see her little teeth drop out... LaughLaugh

I read somewhere that ice-cube (half-water, half-broth) is yummy for a dog.. Hehee.. have yet to try that...

good luck then!!

Join the JRT Zone

nathalie
Doggyman

Feb 25, 2004, 8:31 AM

Post #10 of 55 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

u n ur fren must spend a longer period for training the beagle coz they are not slow learner but merely because they are wilful n heeds for advices slower n it takes a longer period to train them due to their wilfulness n curiousity.be patient n u'll the see the fruit of your result Smile

Concorn
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 7:21 PM

Post #11 of 55 (3917 views)
Shortcut

Howdie,

Very cute and very notty too!! We r her prey. Now, everyday mz wear long sleeves to work, jz to cover those bruises and teeth marks.. MY OH MY!! Still hv another few more mths of suffer lor... UnsureCrazyPirate

I did scream OUCH! I did replacement for her to bite but she's so clever she still wanted to bite us. I think she find it's exciting to bite with things that scream.....MadUnsurePirate

I'm teaching Coco how to handshake & down.. She's a quick learner. Now she know to sit when ordered. I'm still hving problem toilet training her. She would shred all the newspaper(with her pee) when I tried to toilet train her...Any other ways than newspaper. She's doin her bz everwhere now!! Don't know what happend to her nowadays.. last 2 weeks ago, she still visit the toilet for bz but not anymore!!

How do u toilet train Snoopy?

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 11:32 PM

Post #12 of 55 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Hi there..

Kekeke... TongueTongueTongueTongue...

I think training Beagles is the same with training JRTs. You need to be a little bit more persistent with their training. Not that they are not smart. They understand us, but are willful because that is how their breed is like. They will need to be independent when they are out hunting... Smile

Hehe.. Toilet training for Snoopy is easy because she was trained by her Mom to do the business outside the cage/house. Sly Anyway, these days, she still does have some "accidents" and we scold her and she feels guilty for it. When she goes out for business, we praise her like mad. She's a grass-only gal and so, no problems for us there, except for the small accidents.

We tried to newspaper train her but that didn't quite work because she shred the newspaper.. CrazyCrazy

Anyway, good luck. Keep persisting with the training...

Join the JRT Zone

Concorn
ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 11:55 PM

Post #13 of 55 (3908 views)
Shortcut

HeheheCoolCrazy U r right. they r the typical paper shreder.. hahahahaSmile

She knows where to do her biz in the toilet but like u said accidents do happend. But too many times this accident could not be acceptable, sooner or later it would be like normal to do biz every where.. PirateUnsureUnimpressed

Persistent training is a must. Yeah!! Rather hard work here too. Snoopy is ok cos u let her out of the hse to do her biz but coco is inside the house all day.(Condo area) So muz train her doin it in the toilet like we human too lor.. hahahahahaSmileWink

Did u send ur snoopy for training classes?

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 26, 2004, 12:11 AM

Post #14 of 55 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Hahaha...

I see... You are in a condo area. Hmmm... a bit tough and you're right, you have to train her to do her biz in the toilet. CrazyCrazyCrazy... Anyway, have to admit that these dogs of ours are like that. I read in the JRT book said that they would do their biz at any place that is convenient... LaughLaughLaugh...

Hehe... Snoopy attend the "Snoopy Furslave training school".. SlySlySly Kekeke... No time to take her for classes and so, we train her at home.. Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

meiyoong

Feb 26, 2004, 7:04 AM

Post #15 of 55 (3903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Naughty Beagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess really need time to train the beagle. They are really stubborn not slow learner. Their are actually fast learner but stubborn. Although my friend punish the beagle whenever he do wrong , still the beagle will repeat the same mistake.

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 26, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #16 of 55 (3902 views)
Shortcut

Sorry that i have to be "rude" here to tell you/your friend...... he deserve it!
hmmm....
should not tie dogs up.
should not "raise his hands" on dogs.
last but not least,
don't blaim the DOG.
there's always a reason behind all the behavioral problem.
what i can tell from your description of the dog as well as the owner,
he/she doesn't really know much about the dog, regardless of its breed.

well~
a GOOD thing is....
he brought up the behavior issue to you and willing to share,
so,
it's not too late to correct the OWNER'S Behaviour interms of raising & training a pup.Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

meiyoong

Feb 26, 2004, 4:29 PM

Post #17 of 55 (3899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Naughty Beagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually my friend also veli pity coz when his family bought this beagle, the beagle is already around 6 months old and the previous owner did not train him. So what is the best solution for my friend now?

Concorn
ALPHA

Feb 26, 2004, 9:53 PM

Post #18 of 55 (3895 views)
Shortcut

I do noticed that beagle will actually do their biz anywhere convenient!! Then ' die lor' gonna mess the whole house lor.. hehehehePirateCrazyMad

No point punishing/spanking them for their mistakes. they don't even care n will still repeat the same errors too.... Stubborn!! But m sure, one day she'll know where she stand...Unimpressed

I also notices that Coco r dripping with (water/urine?) while we carry her, sleeping on my lap or even when she walks.......Unimpressed. Does ur snoopy have tat? Is it something wrong with her bladder?

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 27, 2004, 2:51 AM

Post #19 of 55 (3891 views)
Shortcut

so...
ur fren "took over" the responsibility from another person?

what to do....? Mmm.... training is a must. Need not be "robotic training" but at least some basic commands are needed. the KEY is, CONSISTENCY.
for eg,
SIT is SIT always....
dun confuse the dog by using sit-down, down-down, chor-chor.....

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 27, 2004, 5:14 PM

Post #20 of 55 (3885 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaughLaugh...

Talk about stubborn, JRTs are one of the most stubborn dogs around.. LaughLaughLaugh My last dog who was a mixed MS was such a joy to train as she wasn't as stubborn as this little JRT. CrazyCrazy The only prob with my last dog was that she ate her own poo... CrazyCrazy

Hmmmm... Dripping water? Hmmm... She's not excited when that happens, right? Maybe she didn't clear her bladder properly and have some left over? Sly Just a guess...

Snoopy is ok except for the fact that she might pee/poo in the house sometimes... UnimpressedUnimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

Concorn
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2004, 12:58 AM

Post #21 of 55 (3880 views)
Shortcut

CrazyUnsureUnimpressed,

me hv admitted Coco to the vet hospital, yesterday. Jz in case anything happen... The Dr. told me is jz urine infection, they wanted some specimens and bld test on her so I decided to admit her lor.... Nothing bad actually...

Dr. said it might b something like flat syndrome!! Hv u heard of it b4? He said tat I kept the dog indoor all days tat lead to this problem... UnsureAngelic. My previous Lab doesn't hv this kind of problem pun!!! I kept her in the house compound also wat.... Funny explanation!!!

anyway, gonna pick her up today or tomorrow lor...

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 11:55 PM

Post #22 of 55 (3866 views)
Shortcut

Hi.. Sorry that this reply is sooo late. Was so busy at work lately.

UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure So sorry to hear that Coco is unwell. Best to check it out before the infection gets worse.

I haven't heard of this problem before. Hmmm... Best to search it on the web... Maybe there could be some home remedies. It could be due to Coco not relieving herself properly? Just a guess...

Anyway, let me know if Coco is ok.. Hmmmm...

Unimpressed

Join the JRT Zone

Concorn
ALPHA

Mar 4, 2004, 10:19 PM

Post #23 of 55 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Hi... Coco is ok now. On medication for a week. It's true what u've said, she didn't relieved herself properly lor. .. But I still need to bring her out to the grass for her business sometimes, so tat this won't occur again.

She has been barking n biting so hard on me yesterday. Don't know what happen to her. Playing with her nicely suddenly so anxious then start biting like she normally do but this time is much harder and more geram.... hmmmmmmmmmm.... Can u tell me what's wrong with her.? Even my mum today, is staying in the room instead at the living area to play with her.. Sudah takut kena gigit.!!PiratePirate

If there's no pp in the living room, she's ok. But if she sees anyone she would start inviting to play n bite...??!!

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 5, 2004, 12:09 AM

Post #24 of 55 (3861 views)
Shortcut

**Phew**....

Thank goodness Coco is ok now... Smile Hmmm... Do you find it hard to medicate Coco? I usually have to hide the medicine in something to give to Snoopy... CrazyCrazy My previous dog Oofy was quite good. She will eat anything that you put on your palm, including medicine!!!

Hmmmm... How old is Coco again? I think she's at that teething stage. Better teach her that biting is No-No!!! Have to be firm with her.... Mad Try to substitute yourself with some other toy. I'd guess she could also be a bit curious about the surroundings... So, be patient with her...

Hmmm... Did this start after she came back from the hospital? Dogs will bite because they want to defend themselves but if she is play-biting, then, it could be because she's teeting and thinks that that behaviour is acceptable...

Anyway, I suffered for 2 mths straight because Snoopy like to bite me. But after a lot of work by giving her toys and teaching her that biting is not acceptable, she gets it. Sometimes, there is an accidental bite but she knows that she has done some wrong.

Be patient.... Good luck! Tongue

Join the JRT Zone

Concorn
ALPHA

Mar 5, 2004, 12:24 AM

Post #25 of 55 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Me no problem medicating coco. she'll eat anything placed in her bowl. Not like my previous lab, was so clever. She won't touch the medicine but finished off her food. So clever!!

Coco is 9 weeks+. That biting thing started yesterday nite. Playing with her (of course the same playing bite lar) then suddenly she got so furious n anxious, she's running around the living room n bite me so hard... M very patient with her oredy...

M scared tat if she makes more noises, neighbour would start complaining n I will hv to give her away lor... UnsureUnsure But I will give a few more days to monitor her conditions.

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my