Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Heartworm

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 26, 2001, 1:40 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5551 views)
Shortcut
Heartworm Can't Post

Is heartworm infection common in Malaysia ?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jun 26, 2001, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5546 views)
Shortcut
Re: Heartworm [In reply to] Can't Post

I have once asked a VET the same question and he did tell me that he has encountered a few cases of Heartworm infection.

Heartworm prevention will cost you about RM 10.00 per month per dog,a figure that is still afforable. The treatment for Heartworm infection is however costly and difficult. While the infection may not occur to your dog, going on prevention medication is just like buying some insurance for your lovely pets. :)

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 26, 2001, 9:04 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5544 views)
Shortcut

If I were to start my dog on heartworm prevention, when will be the right dog age to start ?

premanm
Novice

Jun 28, 2001, 6:55 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5537 views)
Shortcut

You can start heartworm prevention when the dog is a puppy. I started my dog at 6 month based on the vets recommendation.

I use Hart Gard, its a chewable tablet for the dog.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jun 28, 2001, 9:02 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5535 views)
Shortcut

Both Heartgard and Proheart are common Heartworm prevention medication which cost about RM 60.00 for six tablets.

The cut off age for using these preventive medication on puppy without any heartworm test will be 7 ~ 8th month. This is base on the assumption that your puppy when born will not be infected with Heartworm immediately and these heartworm will take six months to grow into matured adult worm that this medication is not effective against. The best is of course to start before the six month period.

For adult dog, there is a need to perform test to confirm the adsence of the adult heartworm before implement such preventive medication.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 30, 2001, 12:41 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5531 views)
Shortcut

For me, Proheart is a better choice. Giving chewable table may risk your dog not taking the full dose if he/she did not take the whole tablet completely. Proheart is a small tablet that can be forced into your pets mouth easily, hence ensuring your pet is taking the complete dose.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jun 30, 2001, 1:07 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5529 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for all the posting and replies.

After introducing Heartworm prevention programme to my pets, do I still need to continue to deworm my dogs ?

Anonymous
Anonymous

Jul 3, 2001, 10:14 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Even Heartgard is good against heartworm and hookworm, it is still offer no protection against tapeworm. In short, you will still have to continue the worming exercise every three months.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my