IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Collar and leash.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 17, 2004, 11:51 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Collar and leash. Can't Post

At 3 months now only I got a collar for Zoe. She's so not used to it, I thought she was ok with the collar cause I put it on her when she was on my lap bitting her chewies but once I got up, she runs to me with almost like hopping like that, with the head senget to the side, then suddenly stop and scratch wht neck area. Sometimes scratch until she whines a bit. About the least, tried bringing her around with it, yea she''ll more with it, but a part of the leash will be in her mouth so try imagining a horse where you tuck the string twice and she'll go that direction.
First things first, I am putting collar on for 5 minutes and going to increase it daily by a few minutes for her to get used to it. Is my method right or is there a better more appropriate way.

Thanks first!
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 12:01 AM

Post #2 of 14 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

What you are doing is correct ... in that you are giving your pup time to get used to the leash ... well done ...

Try this thread for more suggestions:

http://www.puppy.com.my/...llars%20leash;#91714

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 18, 2004, 12:38 AM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 12:03 AM

Post #3 of 14 (2293 views)
Shortcut

hi

just an opinion, if she's not quite used to the collar yet don't try with the leash. go step by step.

just leave the collar on (if i were you i'd put it on her all day and just let her adapt and get over with it) and she'll just be fine.

same with leash also. once she's comfy being in a collar, just hook on the leash to the collar and let her run around with the leash on, just to make her comfortable (make sure it's under your supervision while leash is hooked on)

then, when she's okay with the leash, only u lift up and tug a *little*, call her name, and praise/treat after she come :)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 18, 2004, 12:18 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot! I'll check the thread out. I'll lay off the leash for now first.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 18, 2004, 12:22 AM

Post #5 of 14 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I also thought of what you suggested just that seeing her so uncomfortable so see also a bit heartache. But I believe she's a clever girl and will get used to it even if I do it slowly .Cause just brought her to vet ma, she vomit, vet say no fever no nothing probably cause she runs too much. Yea, every morning and usually evening she is still not changing her character, she runs like mad from kitchen to end of living room then back and that repeats on and off for more than 10 times and everyone who walk pass she'll come after and jump all over after that you'll see her pant like she never had water in her life before.

So doc advice don't let her run so much before and after food and gave some medication to prevent it lor. Also got a jap for the skin wan, wah, when vet say its going to really hurt a lot I was so scared for her. She was already shivering when we walk into the vet and the cashier touched her and she growl, but she won't bite wan for sure. Go in vet on table already, still shivering and when she's scared, she stuck her head in between my arms and body. After jap she cries. So can't bear to see her suffering with the uncomfortable collar already. Give her time ma. =) Thanks!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

mm actually first vet visit is certainly scary, many puppies like Zoe had the same experience too, so not really a big deal about it, don't worry too much :)

my dog is already 3 years old, sometimes at the vet he'd shiver too :/

anyway, good to give her time, as long as she gets the idea. you're not rushing anyway :D

DoggiePuppy

Feb 18, 2004, 6:42 AM

Post #7 of 14 (2280 views)
Shortcut

Well its actually her second time. She seemed better the first time, but now she shivers, but anyway I think I successfully calm her down. I know when she's insecure she likes to hide her face to I let her do that. Needle was painful vet said, and Zoe took it like sooo well!!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 7:11 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2278 views)
Shortcut

hi

it's certainly great to know she's doing better the second time :) anyway she's still so young, at least she didn't pee/poo on the table :o....

DoggiePuppy

Feb 18, 2004, 7:35 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Aww, dogs would do that when terrified?? Yea Zoe was ok. Everyone at the vet loves her so much they kept wanting to play with her but cause she's afraid of new place she stayed in my arm only. Every customer of the vet that was there will come telling me she's soooo beautiful. Maybe from her photo she look less pretty, my camera ain't good, but in life...i must say, she is super beautiful!! Gosh I am so in love with her!!!

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2004, 10:13 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Hi, why not try putting on the collar before feeding and the leash before walking. I only collar and leash my puppies for walks. When they see the leash and collar, they will get excited (yes) cos it is walkies time, wow. Yes, you sound like you are in love and it is a bit embarassing to read your postings, hehehehe. Only joking ok. Best regards,J

DoggiePuppy

Feb 19, 2004, 1:58 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

I of course planned to do that too, only for future walks. Now she isn't allow to really go out yet, still very naughty now. But till she get used to the leash and all I can't take her for walks you get what I mean? So yea I am also putting on leash for her during walks but if she won't get used to the leash, I don't see how I can get her for the walk...hehe. Or perhaps you mean still take her for the walk even if she would bite the leash? I don't know. Yea, don't worry, I am also a little embaressed sometimes, I am like so geli saying these stuffs bout me and my pup.

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2004, 4:30 AM

Post #12 of 14 (1904 views)
Shortcut

my pup also chew collar. When i bring him out to play, he aim 4 the collar first. So sometimes u have 2 say no to your dog.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Sep 20, 2004, 9:09 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

surchin,

at 2 months, my GR puppy is fine with collar, actually she didn't even try to get the collar off when i put onher the first time when she is 7 weeks. i am trying her on the leash yesterday and boy she really cannot tahan..she refuses to walk and constantly biting the leash.

how can i stop her from biting the leash? a book say to dip the leash in a vinegar so she will spit it out and not bite it again. is this ok? this morning, i put the leash on her and hook the leash to something, she try to pull the leash and was growling. i had to take it off her.

we plan to take her out for walks in 2 weeks time (after her 2nd vacciniation) and would like her to get used on the leash. any suggestions?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 20, 2004, 10:55 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Collar and leash. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Dippiing leash in vinegar or other "bad" tasting solution or spraying with bitter apple etc ... to my mind, are only short term solutions.

It is preferable to train your dog not to chew on things (that are inappropriate, such as shoes, books etc etc ... including leashes) ...

I remember you posting that you have a dog training manual ...

I will assume that your dog training manual is a farily new edition that emphasises on positive training methods and not adversive training methods. If so, it will contain chapters on how to train a dog the command "NO" or "LEAVE IT" (or such like) with praise & reward methods ...

From reading your posts in the various threads ... would suggest the following:

(A) First ... read and understand the issue of dog behaviour & dominance ... and the need for owners to establish their position as leader of the pack ... Until you fully appreciate the need to teach the dog not to growl with you ... it is hard to train anything else.

(B) Together with the above ... start training your dog the basic commands ... Sit, Stay and Recall ... also the meaning of "NO". Basic training is one of the best ways to bond with your dog and teach your dog that you are the leader ... This will help reduce the growling etc.

Once you have made reasonable progress with the above ... try the leash again ... but everytime you dog tries to bite/chew the leash ... command "NO" or "Leave it" as the case may be. Everytime your dog obeys and leaves the leash alone - praise & treat ...

Basically ... teach your dog to associate the leash with "positive" things ... such as praise, treats ... walks etc etc ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 20, 2004, 10:58 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my