Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
JAck Russell (Naughty)

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 5:39 PM

Post #1 of 22 (2497 views)
Shortcut
JAck Russell (Naughty) Can't Post

My Jack Russell is only 8 weeks old and he's really naughty and hyperactive.. can he go for obedience school now or is he still too young ?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 5:49 PM

Post #2 of 22 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terri Chai] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

are u referring to the obedience classes held by MKA?

if yes, pls ask if they have puppy kindergarten class this semester (they're starting their orientation/graduation this sunday) - if you're going, pls make sure he has taken all his vacination jabs by then, if not, don't even think about enrolling in class.

if they do not have puppy kindergarten class, it'd be wiser to wait till the puppy is a little older (say... 4 months/5 months) to join basic class. i personally find that puppies that join with the older dogs in basic class normally have a hard time catching up in class..

in the mean time, u should get a good training book and start teaching all the basic stuffs yourself :) your dog is not quite the only hyperactive jack russell terrier around here :D.... so pls start training sooner, now is a good time for him to absorb everything u wish him to remember when he's all grown up!

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 17, 2004, 10:05 PM

Post #3 of 22 (2487 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi Terri,

What Hunter wrote is right. Also your puppy is still a puppy. Puppies are basically naughty and active. With proper training and patience from your side, both of you will lead a fun & happy life. Moreover, Jack Russells are quite hyperactive. Please do get a training book so you can start early and puppies absorb much faster when they're still young. Do remember, have patience and consistency.

Good luck!

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2004, 7:49 AM

Post #4 of 22 (2479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

my pup is 3 months old and am thinking about sending him for the puppy kindergarden classes.. he'll be getting his 3rd/final vaccination jab this thursday..

wha'ts the diff between the puppy kindergarden classes and basic classes ?

what kind of training books is recommended ? i saw alot of books about dogs n such in bookstore.. but dontknow which is the good one...

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 10:52 AM

Post #5 of 22 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,

puppy kindergarten class is almost like kindergarten for human kids :), things are more slow, relaxed and fun, and what they learn is pretty much like basic class, except well, it's not as strict. also it uses more motivation in the training process. i haven't been to this class before, but i heard it was fun.

however, do take note that last semester mka did not have puppy kindergarten class open. perhaps you should enquire early this week if there's such class open? :)

mmm as for dog books, i'm sorry i can't help u there.. basically just go with ur instincts. look for books that promote motivational training in a precise manner..

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #6 of 22 (2464 views)
Shortcut

oh ok... thanx for the info..Cool

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #7 of 22 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the tips.... since 'Leng Cai', my Jack Russell is still too young for obedient classes, can I register first for the basicclass and start when he's fully vaccinated ? Coz I heard that these classes do not come by very often....

Terri

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004, 12:40 AM

Post #8 of 22 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Angeline... Oh yes!! He is very very hyperactive... I get tired just by seeing him running around... hehehe!! But he's really cute and adorable :)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 1:25 AM

Post #9 of 22 (2455 views)
Shortcut

hiya,

sure u can :) the next semester will start something like 3 months away from now. so u can register like, 1 month later from today, just to be safe :)

if you're keen do drop by at padang merbok this sunday (22nd Feb). The seniors are having their graduation ceremony, and the new students are here for orientation :D it's fun to look at, really. if you're free u should go take a peek, see how's the situation like (but make sure u don't take leng cai there coz he's not fully vaccinated yet)

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #10 of 22 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...

Good on you for getting a little JRT!! From your avatar, he's a cute!! Anyway, please feel free to join the JRT zone... TongueTongue We're keeping a list of all the little JRTs out there in Puppy.com.my

Anyway, I think the others have answered your question but I think your pup has not gotten all his shots yet, right? Once he has, he can be enrolled for obedience school.

Please remember that JRTs are super-hyperactive and they are very inquisitive and can test your patience. Just remember that with training and patience, your little JRT can be manageable. (I use the word manageable because JRTs are independent by nature, so they tend to think for themselves... ALOT!)

BTW, what is your little JRT's name? TongueTongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #11 of 22 (2444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aragorn2976] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi you...

Yes.. you are right... he's not gotten all his jabs yet... so got to wait for a while... :)

Thanks for the invitation... I'll definitely join the JTR Zone....

His name is 'Leng Chai' (good looking in Cantonese). heheheh!! Everyone laughed when I told them my JRT's name... :)

What's yours ? He / she ? Age ?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 10:43 PM

Post #12 of 22 (2441 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaugh...

He is a lengchai... TongueTongueTongue Hmmm. .I've noticed that a lot of JRTs have got either a very mischevious or sweet look... Kekeke...

Anyway, you can go straight to the forum by clicking the link in my "signature area"... TongueTongueTongue

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

NeXiEm
Dog Kichi

Feb 20, 2004, 3:19 AM

Post #13 of 22 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Very cute his name, but btw, if you pronounce " leng chai" in a different way, it'll be "small kid" in chinese, not sure if i'm rite or not..

-my DoGs And I-
LaSSie, CynDy aNd CheSteR

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 20, 2004, 9:18 PM

Post #14 of 22 (2431 views)
Shortcut

SmileHi Terri,

I guess a few members have answered most of your questions. I still have an 8mths old pug (considered puppy). After most of the basic trainings, he's quite manageable but sometimes when he gets into those crazy-hyperactive-nippy-runny moods, I just want to faintCrazy. When he was younger, he was a handful.

Ciao

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 9:53 PM

Post #15 of 22 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeXiEm] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe!! I know... but either way... it suits him... Cool and yes!! U r absolutely right!!! Sly

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 9:59 PM

Post #16 of 22 (2426 views)
Shortcut

Oh God!! Toilet training is terrible for Leng Chai.. he pees and poos everywhere.. despite me bring him into the toilet... scold him and told him not to do it... he STILL does it... rather... he will NOT do it when he's in the toilet but when I let him out... he pees & poos everywhere... he just so uncontrollable... and now... my whole house is so FULL of it.. Unsure

Somebody please HELP me!!! and tell me what can I do....

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 21, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #17 of 22 (2418 views)
Shortcut

He's still a puppy. They don't have much control in 'business', that's why they do it there and then. Maybe you can try paper-training him first. Please note the time he does his business. Like how long after his meal etc. (I'm not much of an expert here but a little bit lah). Whenever he does his business at the right place, praise him and give him a treat. So he'll think that 'ok doing it here gets me a treat'. If he did at the wrong place, tell him 'NO'. You'll learn their behaviour, their movement when they want to do business. My pug must turn 2 round and then squat and big business. Peeing is a problem now because he starts to lift his leg up so now the pee training is starting all over againCrazy.

Anyway, since Leng-Chai is still a puppy, keep a close watch on him. Whenever he has to go, carry him to the designated area that you want him to do. When he does it there, praise+treat.

Patience and consistency, my frenSmile. Good luck!

Ciao

Terri Chai
Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2004, 7:23 AM

Post #18 of 22 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Hey Angeline,

Thanks for the tips.... sigh!!! keeping a close watch at Leng Chai is tiring.... but what to do... I guess we (me & him) had to learn it the hard way... Laugh

Terri

paulynn
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 2:01 AM

Post #19 of 22 (2402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terri Chai,aragorn2976] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Terri and Leng Chai ( LoL)

Nice to meet you two. Yup Aragorn is correct. U should join the JRT Zone.I'm a proud co-owner of a cute cute 7 months old JRt name Pongo.He's not exactly the most obedient dog in the world but i must say that i have a thing for JRTS. They are soo hyper-active and they have such strong hind legs. U should check out how tall your dog can jump! /aragorn's JRT is my co-owned JRt's er...aragorn...sis or bro?

suekmei31
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 12:43 PM

Post #20 of 22 (2397 views)
Shortcut

hi,

when puppy get older they will pee will one leg lifted? is it the same for all dogs?

suekmei31
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 12:48 PM

Post #21 of 22 (2396 views)
Shortcut

hey hunter,

can you tell me what is the about? if i want to bring my 8 months old shih tzu to train will it be too old? tell me more bout the training stuff...they hav orientation? how long is the training program? do i need to let my little monster to stay there for training? how much does it cost? what do they teach? do they teach him to pee and poo? cos this is the most important thing that i want monster to learn...

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 9:34 AM

Post #22 of 22 (2386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suekmei31] JAck Russell (Naughty) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

can you tell me what is the about?

it stands for Malaysian Kennel Association. Other than issuing certs and organising dog shows and stuffs they have training classes as well.

if i want to bring my 8 months old shih tzu to train will it be too old?

no, not old at all.... there's no age limit when it comes to training i suppose..

how long is the training program?

10 classes. Every sunday (2 sessions available, 4-5pm or 5-6pm). if raining will keep postponed until all class held for 10 times.

do i need to let my little monster to stay there for training?

no, they train YOU how to train your dog. so you'll be learning how to train your dog along with other ppl and their dogs in one class. after 1 hour class you and your dog are home free.

what do they teach?

heel (walk nicely at side.. no pulling), sit, stand, down, sit stay, down stay, come.... basic stuffs. more advanced stuffs at advanced levels.

do they teach him to pee and poo? cos this is the most important thing that i want monster to learn...

no they certainly will not teach your dog that because that's your own responsibility to teach. i don't think any training classes will include housetraning courses anyway. do a search on the forum with keyword "housebreaking" and you'll find many good tips to teach your dog that.

check out this thread for more info

http://www.puppy.com.my/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

or call MKA at , 77297822

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my