Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
biting

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 10:42 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1405 views)
Shortcut
biting Can't Post

i have a 3 months old GR and he seems to bite alot... especially shoes and my hand!
i've got him the cloth look-a-like bone and another type of bone that has some chicken taste (looks like plastic or something...) but he doesnt seem to like those... and whenever he bites and carries off a shoe... he knows that we'll chase after him.. so he starts to play catching with us... Crazy

i've tried sparying the anti-biting thingy but it doesnt seems to work.. ok well.. maybe only once or twice... is there a way to let him bite less ??? my mum's been furious about him biting her shoes n stuffs...

help ?? advice?

thanx

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

kesuke
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2004, 7:46 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] biting [In reply to] Can't Post

biting shoes: just keep all your shoes out of reach from your GR...then he won't have any shoes to bite!!

buy lots of chew toys for him...nylabones, gummabones, kong...anything you can think of. you could also try empty mineral water bottles...they roll, they make a whole lot of noise when stepped on, easy to replace...so you could try that...i know one pup who loves these bottles..hehe...TongueWink

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 8:17 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Agree with Kesuke ...

All puppies will look for things to chew ... they are teething and playful ...

Personally, have tried and don't really all the anti-chewing liquids and stuff ... Smile ... They don't really work and we don't really know what is in them ... keeping shoes out of reach and giving safe toys and chews are better ...

When buying chews ... will suggest that you avoid giving rawhide ... for many reasons ... do check on threads ...

All the best ...

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sweesan, nice puppy you've got there.

I think you have to stop the chew shoe-run off-play routine cos that is telling the fellow that chewing shoes is really fun. If it still has to happen, then maybe it has to end in an unpleasant way like a scolding or active ignoring so the puppy can connect that chewing shoes sucks. Of course, the best is not mix puppies with shoes, which is what I do. My 2 rascals dont know anything about chewing shoes and I am not about to introduce the vice to them. As for chew toys, each doggie likes some and not others so you have to try them out. Just avoid any chew toy in the shape of a shoe, no kidding. All those spray stuff didnt work for me. Seems, like hounds smell what they like to smell and not otherwise, heheheh.

Biting hands by puppies is normally not meant to hurt. Doggies teach each other how hard they can play bite. If your puppy is mostly alone then you will have to do the teaching. If you get bitten too hard you will have to protest or even react so the puppy knows it is too hard. What you can also do is make your hand into a fist when it is being explored so it cant be bitten. Also get your puppy used to you opening his mouth and putting your hand in. Put your palm in to the back of the mouth (not throat) regularly like the way dogs carry a stick at the back of their mouth. That worked for my nippy puppy. Good luck,J

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 11:47 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] biting [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx for the info...

but does giving him alot of toys a good way ? cause i've read in a book and it says that dogs shouldnt be giving too much of toys cause he might not feel the sense of belonging...but the thing is.. he doesnt plays with his old toy... only at times.. and whenever we give him a new toy.. he happy enjoys playing with it.. but only for a lil while.. after that.. he gets bored with it...

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

DoggiePuppy

Feb 18, 2004, 12:33 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Cute puppy!! Very angelic looking!!

Zoe never gets bored with any toys of hers. Everything is new to her after you took it away from her for 5 minutes. Have you tried playing with her? I play ball retrieving with on the second day she arrived. She was also only about 8 weeks old. Of course, game a little different, she don't really return to me, but walk pass me so I'll grab the ball. Like now after bout 2 weeks with me, she runs and fly to me with the ball in the mouth and sit on my lap. Don't let her chew the ball though, I heard toys and chewies are different thing. I believe keeping your doggie's time filled up will encourage her to play and get your attention more than biting around. Don't let her make it a habit. Zoe don't bite shoes, even if a shoe is near her, she'll sniff and walk away. But its a habit for her to bite socks, so she bites socks and run away. Point is once its a habit, they'll keep doing it.

If its gone to the extreme case and even chewise won't work, I am using this method for the meantime. I believe many owners here won't agree. Few days ago I use spray bottle and when she does thing you think she shouldn't, I say no and spray on her butt. Soon she'll understand, but somehow now she seem to like the spraying pulak.

So now I shift with a method where many owners will say its a no-no. However it works so well for me and Zoe and she is not afraid of it. Discover when I was cleaning yesterday, a used roll of present paper I pick it up and she stand back a little. Now that present paper is a discipline reminder. She's not afraid of it, but once I picked that up, she knows its `NO'. I even got her to stop going kitchen and running upstairs just with tat thing, don't even need to hit her, hit anywhere or touch her with it. Though there's some moment I was playing with her, you touch the roll to her butt and she'll jump a bit like horse like that but she don't really care and will continue sniffing the floor for food. Haha. All the best.

By all means, don't use the present paper roll thing first unless all method won't work. Diff dogs I think take things differently, Zoe took the paper roll for a game with me so she fooled around with it too. She wants to bite it when I put it on table. But if your doggie ever show signs of fear I think never touch these stuff better.

All the best ya! And again, pls don't use the paper roll method!! I may make your doggie fear you when she grow up.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2004, 12:47 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] biting [In reply to] Can't Post

zoe's cute.. looks innocent.. eheheh..

oh the paper roll... i ddint want to use that method cause i'm afraid that it might be too pain.. after all. Hugo's a puppy... but sometimes i just hit or say.. pat with my hand at the mouth area if he's biting something that he's not suppose too.. sometimes he knows to let go.. sometimes he just continue biting.. well i tried giving him back his old toys.. like the cloth-bone thing.. what's it called anyway?? he doesnt seem to like it much... is it that diff dogs like diff toys ?? i realize that he likes mops as well... Crazy.. or maybe it amuses him... when he's in the cage while we mop the floor.. his curious lil- head moves left right left right...

wow i just salute that Zoe dont bite shoes.... how i wish.... actually Hugo not only likes to bite shoes.. infact plants, leaves, STONES !! as well... when i bring him out for a walk he usually sniffs sniffs around.. and .. u know.. tar road.. there'll always be small stones.. he usually walks to it n tries to chew it... then i'll have to open his mouth and take it out... even though i've done this many times... he still likes to go to the stones...

ball retrieving... erm.. well... how do u do that? usually he runs to it to catch it but never comes back... Pirate.. he's 3 months old now..

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2004, 8:04 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sweesan, Yeah my puppies also have very short attention spans for toys. They seem to much prefer life company. But occasionally, we see them diligently chewing the toy bone left with them. What I do is leave 2 toys with them and remove everything else. When that 2 is totally ignored then we replace with another 2. So, I guess it is try lots but not let them have it all at once. Best regards,J

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2004, 6:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1137 views)
Shortcut

every breed chew and bite even my friend's dog bite. Put your puppy or dog in a small area with toys. SO he can only bite toys instead of your mother's or your family's shoes.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my