golden retriever

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jeff2000
Novice

Feb 17, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #1 of 142 (4324 views)
Shortcut
golden retriever Can't Post

i've been thinking to buy a GR from my relative. It is female at six months. But i just worry about the dog has bad behaviour...and the dog won't be listen or follow my instruction.

So, i wonder to know that what problems i'll be facing if i want to buy a GR at six months! Thank you so much...

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 17, 2004, 9:25 AM

Post #2 of 142 (4320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeff2000] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jeff

just curious, how come you're buying a dog at six months old? are u buying it from a petshop/breeder? nothing much to worry about, only that normally ppl would buy dogs at like... 4 months and below of age - i got mine at 4 months old :)

on the good side though, you don't face all the hassles of caring for a young puppy and you can basically see how the dog look like... (some puppies turn out to be really different initially... and health problems might appear only when they're a few months older) :)

if you train the dog (male or female?) early, six months old is certainly not a problem!

regards,
hunter

jeff2000
Novice

Feb 18, 2004, 7:15 AM

Post #3 of 142 (4309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

actually, i bought it from my uncle...he has no time to take care two dogs.
Anyway, thanks a lot

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2004, 5:47 AM

Post #4 of 142 (4301 views)
Shortcut

the ONLY problem:

You must have TIME for your GR....
so to exercise him...
to drain up his super-hyper-active energy!Laugh

you have the TIME???
then you must have the PATIENT!
the PATIENT to give in more timeSmile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 21, 2004, 1:17 AM

Post #5 of 142 (4294 views)
Shortcut

hi jeff...

form my experience with harvey, you really need time to talk to them, play with them, teach them and exercise them. If not they can create quite a bit of havoc in your house to drain off excess energy.

Have you had a dog before? You could read more about them at this site:
www.canismajor.com/dog/golden.html

GRs are very intelligent..in fact one of the easiest dogs to train. You could sign up for the Obedience training with MKA. They are starting a new intake. We also have an Obedience Training seminar this weekend that you could check out to find out more. Please check the events thread for more info ya..

hope you and your GR have a rewarding time together.

jeff2000
Novice

Feb 26, 2004, 8:22 AM

Post #6 of 142 (4282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your useful info.

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 27, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #7 of 142 (4277 views)
Shortcut

so did u attend the OB seminar?? It was in the papers...!!! Wink

how r u n ur gr now??

jeff2000
Novice

Feb 28, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #8 of 142 (4275 views)
Shortcut

My GR was very naughty.... sometimes was overactive. As what u said, it needs to spend some time to train it!

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 1, 2004, 6:56 PM

Post #9 of 142 (4267 views)
Shortcut

hahaha.. better to have an active dog than a lazy dog lerr.. heheee... I saw a GR on tv yesterday tat could do breakdancing.. hahahaa.. so cute la... LaughLaughSly

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 3, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #10 of 142 (4265 views)
Shortcut

ai seh.....break dancing??? really???? ShockedShockedLaugh

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 3, 2004, 7:54 PM

Post #11 of 142 (4262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehee.. yeah.. in a way..

the GR is on the floor with his belly facing up wards n he is like spinning, shaking, and the head goes left right lefft right.. so farnee....

got alot of other dogs with special tricks oso.. sigh.. so envyShocked

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 4, 2004, 4:02 AM

Post #12 of 142 (4260 views)
Shortcut

wahh...the GR so cute lar!!!!!!! hehehee.....

i also saw on tv once, a border collie dancing with her owner ler!!! and the doggie was like swaying her butt loh...here and there....so so cute lah!!! Cool

hehehe...yeah.....must learn how to teach our own doggies lar.... eh, you can try teaching harvey to 'bark' or 'speak' ler.....that way when you say 'bark!' and he will go 'woof woof!!'.....hhe.....Sly

btw, ahh....you change your avatar liao....i see tyson's face!!! ehehehhe......

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 5, 2004, 1:50 AM

Post #13 of 142 (4257 views)
Shortcut

ohh.. i see tyson liao... i think his avatar's sambutan not so hangat like harvey's.. heeheee..

oh.. how to train to 'speak'??? he 'speak' alot la.. when other dog walk by.. heheehe.. GRs rarely bark oso woh...

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 5, 2004, 6:59 AM

Post #14 of 142 (4255 views)
Shortcut

hehehee..harvey is "mat salleh playboy" mah.....of course is more attractive to ppl lar.....ehhehehehehe.........LaughLaughSly

ya ya....GR seldom barks..my billy boy also seldom barks....unless at cats and motors...Crazy

actually i also don really know how to teach "speak". maybe like when he barks, then you reward him and say the word 'speak'...and everytime you do this i think he will get the idea. you can try with popeye also....ehhehe.......

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 8, 2004, 9:48 PM

Post #15 of 142 (4251 views)
Shortcut

aiyohh.. problem with the 2 ah.. popeye barks too much.. harvey is more quiet... he didnt bark until he was after 1 yrs old u know.. if not for popeye n tyson.. i think da fella dun know how to make noise oso.. heehehee
how to teach speak??? he see treat want to eat n thinks i want his paw paw...
Crazy how do they do it ah??? anyone here know ah?? popeye i want to train to keep quiet lerrr.. if any.. hehehee.. but i am looking for a siren sound for him cos he hear d he will howl.. so cute... u know can down load where onot???

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 8, 2004, 10:24 PM

Post #16 of 142 (4249 views)
Shortcut

ahhaha.....1 you want it to be quieter, 1 you want him to bark......hahahaha.......LaughSlyLaugh

dunno loh....i think slow slow teach loh...when he barks, give him a treat lar....everytime he barks he get a treat.....then he slowly get the idea that if he barks, he'll get treats...then later you associate the word with his action loh.....

hmm....siren sound ah......a bit hard ler.....Crazy

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 8, 2004, 11:21 PM

Post #17 of 142 (4247 views)
Shortcut

yalor.. one too loud.. one too quiet.. (which i like better.. haah)...

waahh.. if i treat everytime he bark..susah leh... when some stranger or cat from outside he bark then how?? if not ah.. he wont bark wan.. both oso wont bark unless they want to say something.. so ... hmm.. need to research.. hehee..

u know the trick they place th treat on the dog's nose.. then when the ownder say ok..they will fling the treat up n eat it?? now.. how to let the dog NOT eat when we place the treat on the nose and make it stay on the nose n not on the floor??? hehee.. so much to learn hor...Tongue

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 5:51 AM

Post #18 of 142 (4244 views)
Shortcut

on teaching the doggie to speak...do you exactly know what triggers harvey to bark? if it is the door bell, then get someone to ring the doorbell. and when harvey barks...you must reward harvey. of course you must balance this with getting harvey to bark only once or twice and thereafter keep quiet.

it'll be good to associate this with a hand signal. a friend of mine uses hand signal to get his huskies to bark. this is normally for dinner.

i've not tried teaching shalom how to speak as she is generally a quiet dog. she rarely barks and i think that is good especially in my condo environment.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 6:32 AM

Post #19 of 142 (4243 views)
Shortcut

ehheehe.....still need research lar....these kinda tricks i dun really know......ehehheeh.....

ya...the nose one i also dunno lar.....i have a friend his beagle can do that lar....he'd put the treat on his beagle's nose and then take up his hand like telling him to hold....and then after a while he'd say "good boy!" then his beagle will move and then eat the treat....so cute lar!!!! but he dint tell me how he taught his beagle.....Unsure

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 11:17 PM

Post #20 of 142 (4239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh.. harvey doesnt really bark.. GRs dont bark much also.. he barks only when a dog passes by and he is jealous Crazy or when his brothers bark when some strangers stand outside and look suspicious... hmmm... during that time also he is too excited and wont even listen to my commands... cos he will be running up and down like the house is on fire....Crazy

so i really dont know how to start him on 'speak' command or 'quiet' command when i want to... maybe will need alot of patience and when there's no other dogs around...

and when he does bark.. got echo leh.. like so loud... Unsure

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 11:38 PM

Post #21 of 142 (4237 views)
Shortcut

the beagle will hold the food and not eat?? wow... i've seen tat on tv oso... they will lift their head to toss the treat and eat.. like those guys in the pub eat peanuts.. hahahahaa....

wow...there r so much tricks to teach the boys if one has time... a lady says her poodle knows 500 tricks.. and can do 30 in a minute... it was on tv.. she brings the dog to charity and cheer up kids.. i think its great isnt it?? the poodle can help pick up laundry at home and separate whites and colours lleh... so smart hor .....

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 10, 2004, 7:52 AM

Post #22 of 142 (4236 views)
Shortcut

hehehe...yeah....exactly!!! the beagle was soooo cute....and his name is poncho....hehehhe......LaughSly very manja one his beagle..

waaaaahhh.....even can differentiate colors??? so good loh!!!!
yeah....have to have time to teach lar...and have patience also.....500 tricks...that's really really incredible and amazing.....ShockedShockedShocked

me...too lazy lar sometimes.....heheheeeLaughSlyCrazy

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 10, 2004, 5:32 PM

Post #23 of 142 (4232 views)
Shortcut

the nose trick is so cute...but again...haven't been able to learn that trick.

tried a treat on shalom's nose a couple of times...alamaks...she ae the thing before i can even blink my eyes!

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 10, 2004, 5:49 PM

Post #24 of 142 (4231 views)
Shortcut

since you know what triggers harvey's barks, you can user that event (another dog or stranger causing his bro to bark) to get harvey to learn how to speak.

will look for the book and email you the para on how to teach a dog to speak...i don't think i broight the book with me today...should be still in car or house.

xyne
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2004, 1:05 AM

Post #25 of 142 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] golden retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh... u have a book on tricks??? great.. did u get it fr mph? the i might go get it instead of troubling u la...

okk. shall wait for ur suggestion.. hehehee.. does shalom speak?? wat tricks have u taught her?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my