HouseFire
Novice

Feb 16, 2004, 10:18 PM

Post #1 of 30 (2623 views)
Shortcut
What's best breed for me? Can't Post

Hi,

I am already a owner of 2 dogs.

And I'm recently planning to get a small and obedient dog.

Can you guys recommend some dogs? So that, I can study their information in order to suit my needs.

Thanks & Regards,

Keng Soon

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 16, 2004, 10:33 PM

Post #2 of 30 (2622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HouseFire] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

What is ur preferences ?
- long coat
- short coat

- medium size
- extra small size

- exercise
- no exercise

???? with no further details other than toy dog, its hard for us to recommend as you didn't list down ur preferences at all.

If u want a listing of toy breed u can check out the www.akc.org site for more informations

Good Luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 16, 2004, 11:06 PM

Post #3 of 30 (2616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Really thanks for your reply. ....

To me, the most important things is

1) Obedient

Below is the reason why I need a obedient one:

I actually have 2 mixed dogs at home. They are aggresive. And I was also kena bite few times.

I had 1 pug before (which has returned back to his owner due to my parent could not tahan his "ridiculous" bark).

2) Size

Sometimes, my dogs is injured. We did hardly to apply medicine to his injured part.

In my mind, small dog wont be that aggresive like big dog. Even if they bite ppl, it wont be hurt.

Actually, I am thinking of Jack Rusell (or others which have similar size). But I really have no idea about it. I don't know whether it is hard to train or not.... any ideas?

Thanks & Regards,

Keng Soon

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 16, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #4 of 30 (2609 views)
Shortcut

hi keng soon

actually no dogs are born obedient.. and as for the dogs u have now or the pug u had last time, i suppose it's just a behavorial problem and not quite about breeds - for ex, many pug owners don't have pugs with excessive barking problem, and many ppl with mixed breed dogs shows no signs of aggresiveness.

the most important thing is to figure out a way to solve the solution... any dog of any breed will have it's own problem to for us to solve and it's up to the owner to seek solution to make life better for both him and the dog.

as for sizes actually some small dogs snaps like cili padi and it does hurt a lot too... big dogs like rottweilers or bullmastiffs could be gentler than a sheep. if a person spent time and effort to train, any dogs could be trained to be the perfect companion.

Jack Russell Terriers are very active dogs so pls make sure you do have all the energy and time for them, if not they could be destructive at times - be it with training or not :/

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2004, 12:33 AM

Post #5 of 30 (2604 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I agree with hunter. Proper training makes all the difference, and the owner's training, care and love ultimately determines the dog's happiness and loyalty to you. A happy loyal dog will love his owner in return and do everything possible to please his owner. As for behavioral problems like barking etc, you can read up and ask for help from puppy.com members in here to rectify Smile.

And also, dont assume small dogs bite don't hurt. i was bitten by a small dog before, and it hurt real bad. I still have a big scar to show for it!

Good luck in your doggy-search!

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 17, 2004, 6:45 AM

Post #6 of 30 (2589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jooann] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks... I agree with you.

Big dog is hard to manage...

Even their shower also takes quite some time..

I personally (maybe my family) prefer small one...

Since Jack Rusell is very active, then I think I should not choose.

What about Shi Szu? Any ideas? Any other recommendations?

Sorry, guys... I just want to make sure I can choose the right dog for me (or my family as well).

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 18, 2004, 4:24 AM

Post #7 of 30 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Get a PUG~!!!Cool

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 18, 2004, 4:26 AM

Post #8 of 30 (2565 views)
Shortcut

JRT is GREAT!!!
smart!!!
get one that looks like Gina's Bailey BOY, you wont' regret, never could resist! alakaakakakakak

SHIH Tzu barks. too tiny, dunno how to handle. Hug hug also scared will break da bones.Tongue walk 2 steps will worry if step on him.... grooming...mmmm.... not my type!.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 18, 2004, 5:38 AM

Post #9 of 30 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Hi Keng Soon,

The main thing as any breed type of dog owner u wud have to understand is that no dog is born obedient. Obedience is train and only by training you will be able to get an obedient dog and that means investment of time.

1. Are you prepare to give ur dog training or go for MKA training which they held once a week ?
2. Why does ur 2 mixed dog is aggressive in their behaviour ? Do you or your family beat them ?
3. How come u gotten bitten ?

As for the size of the dog u plan to get..... there is ONE particular problem i see. Now u have 2 aggressive behaviour dog. If u do plan to get a smaller dog, how will u protect ur dog from these 2 aggressive fella ?

If kena bitten, what will u do to discourage that from happening or what preventive measures will u do ? Do take note most of the time smaller dogs is not as good in protecting themselves esp when facing 2 aggressivbe behaviour dog.

Is ur 2 mixed dog stays indoor or outdoor ? Where will ur new fella stays in ? together with ur 2 mixed breed ?

Well, to me the main thing is not obedient but what do U want as a dog owner ? I'm sure u have preferences and do know what u want before go around looking for one. There are many many breed around and not all is suitable for ur lifestyle. Find one that is suitable to what ur lifestyle is the most important thing.

Btw, JRT is a very very active breed. Are you prepare to play, exercise, and train ur dog ? if not, then they are definitely not the right breed for u. They are active but the owner is not, then how they will release their 'activeness' is by being "destructive" at home so that u will give them more attention and time.

Shih tzu is an indoor breed, they are long hair and some tends to be yappy esp if you don't train them since young. Are you prepare to give long hours daily like 1 - 2 hrs to comb their hair ?

What is ur lifestyle ? active ? lots of time to spare ? bz working from 9 - 7/8 pm ? this is important to help u select a suitable breed for u. Good luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 18, 2004, 7:22 AM

Post #10 of 30 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Seriously, thanks for your reply.

I think I must brief myself a bit in order to get more exact information.

I am quite a busy ppl actually, work from 7am til 10pm Mon - Fri.

I feel like getting a small dog, bcos I felt easy to take bath for my pug previously...

I actually also don't wish to choose the wrong dog.. that will ruin him and me...

So, I seriously want to do more homework before getting it..

According to what you asked:

1. Are you prepare to give ur dog training or go for MKA training which they held once a week ?

Nope, time man is big problem to me.

2. Why does ur 2 mixed dog is aggressive in their behaviour ? Do you or your family beat them ?

Actually, only the first one bite me (due to it was new dog, I really don know his characteristic).

The second one never bite ppl before. But it will give warning to us when applying medicine to him.

3. How come u gotten bitten ?

That's the long story... long time never kena bite..

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 18, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #11 of 30 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Hi Keng Soon,

Anyway, let see.... ur bz meaning working for 7 - 10 pm. Who will be taking are of the pup when ur working ? Will there be someone who will train the pup while ur working ? In here I mean train is like training the dog housetraining - the pee n poo stuff. Coz in getting a pup, you definitely need to spend some time to do some minimal training for ur pup.

If u plan to let ur new pup to stay with ur 2 aggressive dog, then I seriously don't think that is a good idea. Worst still if u get a Shih tzu. For toy dogs you definitely need them to be placed indoor and by placing them indoor means u need to train them their pee n poo habits.

Working long hours means you won't have time to do any grooming and exercise meaning dogs like pekingnese, shih tzu, maltese is out from ur list.... so is silky & yorkshire terrier.

What i can think of for u wud be : pug, boston terrier....

cheers,
minglmy

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 18, 2004, 8:34 PM

Post #12 of 30 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Thanks thanks thanks again for your reply... Smile

What if I send the puppy to training center and let them train?

How much is the charges??? Expensive??

BTW, besides Boston Terrier, and Pug, what else?? Hopefully, can get long-headed dog, (in my mind) they are more like a dog. Tongue

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 18, 2004, 9:53 PM

Post #13 of 30 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

one thing u have to understand is that U are the owner of the dog and no one else. If U don't take the time to train ur dog, how is ur dog gonna listen to ur command ? They will only listen to the trainer not u...if u let other ppl train ur dog. so, basically it does not really solve the problem for u.

cheers,
minglmy

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 18, 2004, 10:13 PM

Post #14 of 30 (2536 views)
Shortcut

M... if it's in that case, ok... understand... I will train it myself.

BTW, what else dog would you recommend??

Actually, training a small dog is not problem to me.. seriously

The problem is I have to take care of 2 big dogs.. so that, they wont think that I've transfered my care to the new dog... otherwise, their fighting cannot be avoid. (scary lah when i see them fight)

lulugurl
ALPHA

Feb 18, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #15 of 30 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Hey,

U got yourself another dog? a cocker spaniel this time??WinkSmile
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 19, 2004, 4:57 AM

Post #16 of 30 (2524 views)
Shortcut

if training dogs is not a problem for u, how come ur afraid of them fighting ? you should be able to control the situation if ur able to train ur dogs properly.

There will always be an alpha dog within the pack in the family and have you establish that ? If you have and all you need to do is to maintain that pack order. When that is done properly then I'm sure you'll be able to control the situation where they will not purposely gang up and hurt the small fella.

I notice that you have not really answer lots of my other questions above therefore, i don't think i know enuf to recommend a breed to you for your situation.

just being pat kua here : if u already have 2 big fella, work from 7 - 10 pm daily (meaning no time to care for the small fella most of the time) why are you even looking for another dog at home ? (just curious really)

I hope all those above questions is not being tooo offensive to you as that is not my intention at all. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 19, 2004, 4:59 AM

Post #17 of 30 (2523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lulugurl] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

yup...added another cutey girl to my family not too long ago Wink its actually a long story....

cheers,
minglmy

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 19, 2004, 7:28 AM

Post #18 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

huh?? what answer you actually want??

well, I can tell you everything... I actually posted my reply during lunch time..

very rush hour... can type much..

actually, according to your questions, you are expecting I know about dogs.. blah..

Don't really study that deep...

I only think as long as they happy, and I see them I also happy.. thats it..

But if training is really is a MUST, of course I will do soemthing about it..

Every problem must have solution, and I of course will solve them lah...

BTW, regarding the boston terrier you suggested, it seems like very suitable...

oppss.. since you want to know who take care of dogs?? there is someone to take care of them (including me).

gotto take shower now... too late... gotto sleep... these past few nights online too late...

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 8:16 AM

Post #19 of 30 (2518 views)
Shortcut

BTW, besides Boston Terrier, and Pug, what else?? Hopefully, can get long-headed dog, (in my mind) they are more like a dog. Tongue

on behalf of the ever growing pug... i say "WHAT???" hmmpph!!! Mad

hahah... ok on a more serious note now... why don't u check out the following page and read about the different breeds on ur own... then u'll know about the breeds' characteristics and needs... and determine which breed suits ur lifestyle more...

www.puppy.com.my/breed/index.html

all the best and keep us informed...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 19, 2004, 8:36 AM

Post #20 of 30 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

well, those are the general questions i'm asking... as u told us u own 2 dogs therefore of course ! i'm expecting u to know more or less abt dogs as ur already an owner and unlike those who have never own a dog before but that's a different story all together...

well, my few suggestions would be : boston terrier, pug, miniature pinscher (not for new owner as they tend to be stubborn and yappy if you do not know how to care for them), pomeranian, Cavaliar King Charles Spaniel and Papilon.

Better go to www.akc.org to read more abt their breed's temprement and more information as some of the breed for eg: minpin is really not suitable for new minpin owners. if u want to know more... let me know as I can definitely tell u more abt minpin (own 2 right now)

cheers,
minglmy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 7:34 PM

Post #21 of 30 (2502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HouseFire, minglmy, ai_ney] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Check ...

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/...mall-dog-breeds.html

http://www.amazon.com/...214-2956119?v=glance

http://www.about-dogs.com/small_dog_breeds.htm ... this wan got pictures some more !!! Shocked

http://www.dogbiz.com/...-grp5/toys-index.htm ... this wan dun got pixs ... Crazy

http://www.petnet.com.au/...t/dogselectapet.html ... ths wan come in questions & answer format even ... best lor ... Tongue

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=114522;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

http://www.petnet.com.au/dogs/dogbreedindex.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm

http://www.akc.org/breeds/index.cfm

http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/

http://www.dogbiz.com/

ahyaah ... have lar the Google search page ... anything you wan to know also got ... http://www.google.com.my/...ogle+Search&meta=

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 19, 2004, 7:42 PM)

HouseFire
Novice

Feb 20, 2004, 2:39 AM

Post #22 of 30 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Re: What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, guys...

I probably would go for boston terrier (hehe... looks nice, especially it is not that active according to what I read.)

(Hey, ai_ney, your pug's picture damn funny lah...)

BTW, mind to roughly tell me the what is the price for boston terrier puppy???

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 20, 2004, 3:34 AM

Post #23 of 30 (2485 views)
Shortcut

check it out from MKA's breeder list.

1. Call MKA

2. Ask for MKA breeder list for Boston Terrier

3. Call the breeder directly and ask ! Wink

or alternatively go to some dog show and find out more abt the breed from those who is showing their boston terrier on that day ! No rush rite... the next dog show will be in March anyway. Smile

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Feb 20, 2004, 3:38 AM)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 20, 2004, 3:35 AM

Post #24 of 30 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] What's best breed for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

wah, sk..... u really teral lar.... kakakkaka..... SlyWink

cheers,
minglmy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 20, 2004, 7:15 AM

Post #25 of 30 (2477 views)
Shortcut

*Laughs* ... You should read the posting I deleted ... TongueCrazyWink

Cheers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my