Teach pup `hand'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoggiePuppy

Feb 19, 2004, 7:53 AM

Post #26 of 38 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

I know you're asking swee san but I thought I might as well share how I teach stay with you also if you don't mind. Well my method very simple wan. I just ask me puppy to sit, then I'll try to get her to look at my hand and I'll show the stop signal u know, back and forth and call out stay. I increase the length of stay everytime I see her improvement, depending also on whether her attention span is good or not. If she's hyper, I won't do any stay cause it'll usually be useless I feel.

=) All da best!
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004, 8:13 AM

Post #27 of 38 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

hi.. actually i'm asking...i'm sweesan..
right.. thanks for the info...

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

DoggiePuppy

Feb 19, 2004, 9:14 AM

Post #28 of 38 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Hahah...sorry typo error. I meant to say I know you're asking surchinmy actually cause surchinmy is actually the expert here. Well I am just sharing my info if its helpful I am glad too!!

Have fun wit da puppy!Crazy

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 5:52 PM

Post #29 of 38 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweesan, DoggiePuppy] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

DoggiePuppy's method of teaching stay is correct ... Smile ... and yes, especially with pups and young dogs you are just starting to train, if you know your dog is not in the mood to pay attention ... don't start your training session yet, wait till dog has calmed down ...

Always train at times, in circumstances and under situations that encourage success ... success builds confidence in both trainer & dog ... and that is very important.

There is one basic method to teach "stay" but there are many variations ...

Maybe both of you can check the internet ... Go to Google & type in "teach stay dogs" ... and you will find a whole list of ways to teach "stay" ... read and decide which method is good for you & your dog ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 19, 2004, 6:32 PM)

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 7:13 PM

Post #30 of 38 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy, all] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

HIEEE!! SUSHI HAS LEARNT TO SHAKE HANDS!! LaughCoolShockedSlyCoolTongueLaugh Lst night.... I am a so very proud mummy! Laugh

This is how i did it... for the past few days, i followed the advice given by hunter, surchinmy etc, which was to ask for hand, and HOLD HER PAW & GIVER TREAT. Kept repeating, for her to undrestand. Her mouth kept coming to my hand to smell/ lick/ bite but i just ignore lor. (This was done with Sushi on the floor. I noticed it was kind of difficult for me as she was too low on the ground and i couldn'r see her facial expression/ mouth/ eyes/ response when i ask for hand and when i give treats.)

So yesterday, i placed her ON THE CHAIR while i sat/ squat on the floor, and so i could see her at my eye level. Asked for her hand but she couldn't concentrate, kept looking around. So i showed her the treat in my hand to get her attention, and she was excited, kept looking at my left hand (the treat). I asked for hand again and had to tap her hand lightly with my right hand, then i think she 'remembered', and she lifted her paw!! Sly Proud mummy was sao happy that she hugged sushi tight tight! Tongue

Asked for hand again and up came the paw! heeeheee! Cool Did it 3 times only, didn't wanna make her bored. This morning tried again, and it works! hehehe....

So maybe you can try this method with Zoe too. Hope it works! Be patient over a few days, and don't give up ok. Good luck! Let me know the updates!

During the past week, before teaching her hand, i concentrated on teaching 'come', 'sit', 'down'. 'Come' she is ok most of the time as she loves to be petted and sayanged. 'Sit' she is very good at now. 'Down' she is ok with in the house maybe coz the tiles are smooth and slippery and she just slips down on her no-brakes-furry-paws. In the garden she doesn't do 'down' so much.... probably coz got better grip on the grass or probably different environment. Still practising with her lah. Sometimes i don't give treats, i just give lots of praises and petting.

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

DoggiePuppy

Feb 20, 2004, 7:41 PM

Post #31 of 38 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jooann] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyooooo u must be sooooooooooo happy. I hear also cannot tahan. I haven't been doing any hands with Zoe cause she seemed very naughty and don't come when called. So I think that's the basic foundation which is very important and should be strong. Make sure that's strong first lor.

How long of the duration have you been consistently teaching her hand before it works!! So happy for you!!

Congratulations!

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 7:58 PM

Post #32 of 38 (1365 views)
Shortcut

hehehe thanks. yeah, very happy ;p

about 3 days lor i was saying 'hand' and holding her paw and giving her treats.... not VERY often lah, scared she bored. hand sometimes like morning only or night only... other times we play fetch with treats rewards occasionally :)

i'm teaching her all these commands together now, but not during the same sessions lah. like eg, morning we play fetch and come, evening sit and down, night 'hand'. something like that lor. see her mood lor. a;so trying to teach her to 'stand' up on two hind legs when i hold up a treat, but hard as she no grip tend to slip. so she will try to JUMP instead Crazy to get the treat. Tried in the garden yesterday and she was better, didn't jump, but couldnt hold her standing position. gave her treat for effort anyway! :)

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

DoggiePuppy

Feb 20, 2004, 8:01 PM

Post #33 of 38 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Aiyoo....u good la you. Good trainer must be. I am not so good lor, Zoe seemed a bit slow with hands so as ppl here always say, its always the owner's fault not the doggie's fault. I better buck up!!

Congratulations anyway! Thanks for sharing the tip!!!! Really helps!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 20, 2004, 8:22 PM

Post #34 of 38 (1362 views)
Shortcut

hie

congrats~~!!! :D you must be so proud now~

so now we learn one thing for shake hand : size doesn't matter :p

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 9:51 PM

Post #35 of 38 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Blush I'm also just a new learner lah! Mucho thanks to all who helped in puppy.com!

I'm lazy to train also wan actually.... as long as Sushi understands 'no', does her business in the correct place, doesnt destroy my things, doesnt bite me, behaves, and is lovable and happy puppy.... i'm happy enuff! Wink hehe. Now decided i better not be lazy and better start to train her abit.... or else later she don't respond well to training then i susah.... hehe...

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2004, 9:58 PM

Post #36 of 38 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx! Laugh Blush

haha, yeah, size doesnt matter eh.... kekekeke!

hehe... so cute lah to see her holding up her short leg to shake hands.... Laugh whole body have to tilt to one side to balance... Tongue

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2004, 6:31 PM

Post #37 of 38 (1347 views)
Shortcut

hahaha... u must be very happy when she lifted her lil'hand.. i was sooo happy as well when Hugo fetched the ball back.. cause i've been trying erm.. like.. 2 days la.. ehhe.. when i throw the ball.. he goes.. but never comes back... then i tried like.. when i threw the ball.. he goes.. then when he catches the ball i say "come come" then after a few times.. he comes... wahhh.... so bangga laLaugh my bro was shocked i could do that too !!!! LaughLaughLaugh i hope he doesnt forgets today !!Wink

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2004, 6:50 PM

Post #38 of 38 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Hey congrats man! i know how proud you feel! when sushi finally fetched her toy back all the way to me instead of sitting tehre and chewing her toy.... haha! so happy right.... Laugh

sure Hugo wont forget wan.... do it again today and feel super happy and proud all over again.... enjoy! Tongue

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my