Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Teach pup `hand'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #1 of 38 (4220 views)
Shortcut
Teach pup `hand' Can't Post

Zoe can't seem to learn the hand command at all. I don't know if I did it wrongly or not but I tried to show her what I meant by hand and even make her look at her hand and then reward her. Tried several times and then try to get her to get her hand up but she will continue looking at me wondering, what she should do. Any ideas?
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2004, 1:30 AM

Post #2 of 38 (4218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie again!

Sabar, in time she will get it! Sushi also hasn't got it yet, but worse, she will bite (lightly lah) my hand when i hulur tangan to ask for her hand... Crazy. I normally show her my hand, palm facing upwards, and she will either loooook at my hand bluuuurly, or her gatal mouth will come lah...! I repeat and take her hand and shake hand, this time sure her mouth will come and chew on my hand wan! haiyor... Laugh

I read somewhere where u said Zoe too manja and follow u everywhere even if she is sleeping and hear your footsteps.... i couldnt agree more, i think sushi and zoe very much alike in temperament and behaviour lah! Tongue I'm also trying not to manja her too much and to limit physical contact, but its quite hard as she's so adorable and i wanna hug her all the time! But have to lorr... sometimes i just ignore her abit.... or talk and praise but dun touch or pet so much.

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 6:57 AM

Post #3 of 38 (4214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy,jooann] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

the trick to get this trick right is all about timing.

the method i've used to taught Hunter last time was place his paw on my hand, say "shake hand" and quickly give a treat - remember, treat while your dog's paw is ON your hand, not when it's slipping/slipped off your hand.

practice couple of times a day, keep the sessions short. everytime, just place her paw on your hand and at the same time give command, then treat.

when you're confident enough, try giving the command and see if they react by placing the paw right on your hand. if still no response, more practice needed :)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #4 of 38 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jooann] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya I am trying not to manja her so much. Now she a bit better la. At least at night willing to go back in her cage to sleep without whining already. I seemed to try every method for hand but she just don't seem to get it. Well since sushi and zoe so same, when you get it already please keep me updated on how you got it done okie??

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 8:06 AM

Post #5 of 38 (4210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

I did what you mentioned but the problem is like she don't understand hand. I tried every timing she just won't get it. It looks to me like she knows she's going to get the food but she thought sitting would get her the food cause I give her sit command before hand. So she's waiting for the food to come while sitting. WHen lift her hand, she'll think my hand is feeding her so she'll smell and when nothing is there, she'll wait again. Then when give her food while holding her paw, she'll move in front to eat the food, doesn't care how her paw position is.

I am currently also enhancing her sit, stay and follow(heel). Is it too much to do all? But i separate into diferrent session wan ma. Her stay does work, I heard some say its good to do with leash but I do it without. But she still manage to get it lor, but not too long distance, yet I am able to travel from one end of the house to the other. Problem is when I try to do stay and disappear from her sight she'll start to move already. Guess she feel insecure me disapearing kua. Still young, I must give her more time. Actually I only scared she gets old then cannot learn only that's why I am rushing things now, cause there's a proverbs so called old dogs can't learn new tricks. Is there a truth to it ?

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2004, 5:57 PM

Post #6 of 38 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter. First of all, Happy Valentines!

Good tips you've given. Thanks. Will try it out.... hope she doesnt chew my hand!

Sushi's legs very short, and when she is sitting down, its obvious that her body is long in proportion to her legs. And her paws no grip too, front paws alwasy slip and terkangkang wan (just like in the avatar Smile). So i wonder if that makes it hard for her to lift her paw willingly..... just wondering..... will try some more and let u guys know the outcome!

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2004, 6:07 PM

Post #7 of 38 (4200 views)
Shortcut

HAPPY VALENTINES to you! Any special plans today? Special plans with your darling Zoe? Laugh

Hunter gave good tips about teaching 'hand', i will try it out and let u know.

Sushi now barks (awhile only, thank God!) and whines when i put her in her 'area' and later leave the house. Sigh.... so much for succeeding in avoiding seperation anxiety earlier on... after a month plus, now terjadi pulak! Leave treats etc with her also no use, she knows when i am going out, and she will ignore the treats and just lie down look at me with muka sedih.... Frown. If i put her in her area but i'm not going out, she know too, and she is ok with it, she'll just entertain herself only, wont bark, but will keep looking out for me.

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 14, 2004, 6:37 PM

Post #8 of 38 (4197 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I did what you mentioned but the problem is like she don't understand hand. .......

she will only understand you if you "communicate" well with her. So, you the one who need to learn HOW to train your dog. Once you could handle the right trick to train her, i don't see it hard for her to do HAND as she's doing well with SIT and STAY.

So she's waiting for the food to come while sitting.

Good, at least she's anticipating for the FOOD. That anticipation is important too. So i guess.... she can do pretty well in RECALL.Wink

WHen lift her hand, she'll think my hand is feeding her so she'll smell and when nothing is there, she'll wait again. ...

you should feed her a treat everytime you lift her hand and when she smells it (of course, during the training session la~), a small piece will do. that's about the TIMING Hunter mentioned, I guess.... and CONSISTENCY is important. If sometimes she smells, you give a treat, but some other times no treat in return, she will be consufed.

TIMING has to be RIGHT~
training method and practices have to be consistent.

Have FUN~Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 6:55 PM

Post #9 of 38 (4195 views)
Shortcut

hi

yes mackmack is right, it's really all 'bout timing.

it's not that she doesn't care about how her paw position is - she knows actually... soon she'll link paw on hand = treat and she'll figure it out :) dogs are really smart ya know :)

if you're teaching her stay don't be teaching the higher levels if you're not done with the basics. I feel that you should start off with stay on sight first, not too far either if she has the habit of breaking the stay, if not you might just confuse her and training will be slowed down - sit stay out of sight is actually considered at a more advanced level, so make sure u cover the basics before moving on too fast.

teach her sit, stay and heel is okay as long as you're not confusing her by teaching all in one long session. remember to keep the sessions short, and make sure the training is fun to her.

oh, and don't worry that old dogs can't learn new tricks. as long there is communication btwn dog and owner, regardless of age, they will be able to absorb whatever we're trying to teach them :) no worries! if this would make u feel better, in MKA ob classes, dogs at 2 years old or 3 years old too join the below 1 year old puppies, and all of them just do fine, sometimes, even better than younger dogs! :D

regards,
Li Ping

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 6:58 PM

Post #10 of 38 (4193 views)
Shortcut

hi

understanding her body proportion, perhaps it's wiser for u to place your hand lower in front of her, allowing her to get a good grip no your hand. you could consider holding her hand as well, keeping the hand in place :)

b'sides, i think any dogs can do it, regardless of sizes and shapes :p

oh, happy valentines to u too~

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 7:23 PM

Post #11 of 38 (4188 views)
Shortcut

Happy valentine to you!

No ler no special plan with Zoe and no special someone so guess I'll just stay at home and hug my puppy only lor. What bout you? Well my Zoe at certain times now becomes uncontrollable. Out of nowhere suddenly she'll start barking at us like as if we're strangers or something like that and no one can calm her down. Don't know what's wrong. I am going on with other training first before hand I think. Want to strenghten other commands first lor.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 7:26 PM

Post #12 of 38 (4187 views)
Shortcut

Wow really?? Yea that comforts me. I think I better go slowly and strenghten the other trainings before the hand la for now. Any idea why my pup lately sometimes becomes hyper and start barking at us like as if she's in a hostile situation. We didn't even do anything but just sit there watching her sayang her suddenly she sit, then move back and start barking at us. And we can't get her to keep quiet, as we go nearer, she reverse. I never put her into any fear or hit her or anything, why is she like that?

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2004, 8:08 PM

Post #13 of 38 (4185 views)
Shortcut

My plans ah... not sure yet lah. See lah later.... Still in office now! Unsure Halfday only luckily.

Hmm i wonder why Zoe does that? She ajak you all to play with her maybe? Or she heard something outside the house, some noise that we humans can't pick up?

Read her other body language when she starts to do that... tail wagging or down? Ears pricked up or laid flat on the head? Jumping around happily when u try to catch or touch her, or seems scared? How does her bark sound like? Fierce barking sound or only cute puppy-ish yelping?

Sushi sometimes barks at her toys halfway when playing, like geram like that. She barks at me too when i go in my room and she waits outside (she knows is not allowed to step in) or when i go downstairs (she doesnt know how to go down the stairs yet), or her toy ball rolls into my room and she daren't go in to get it so she'll stand outside and bark at it till i fetch it for her. She'll bark and bark and bark at my bf's sis' hamster (hamster is inside its own cage) too but more like curiosity and fascination as her tail will be wagging non-stop and frontlegs down. She hasn't started barking at strangers yet.

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 8:27 PM

Post #14 of 38 (4184 views)
Shortcut

My initial guess is only that she wants something from me, food most probably but she ain't getting it. But as she's barking her head lays low as if she's in some ways scared also. So I only guess that she demands for her food, but yet she's afraid what I might do if she continues barking like that. I am not sure. Maybe some other things. I am starting to observe her only now since it just got started. It happens only when she's hyper active. When she's quiet and walks slowly, she won't bark and very obedient wan. When she's hyper, she won't even sit and will keep jumping at me.

I am reading everything I can find and asking every opinion I can get, just worried she'll grow up to be a problem dog. Hope she won't though. I am really trying my best to give her the best I can give. Do you leash your Sushi since its a house dog?

jooann
Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2004, 9:08 PM

Post #15 of 38 (4177 views)
Shortcut

It happens when she's hyperactive? Same her, same here! Sushi has those gila sessions too, and the same thing happens too.... she jumps everywhere and at everyone and runs around and wont listen or respond to sit, come, NO or whatever! Was initially worried but read what Surchinmy replied to someone in some thread under "spinning puppy":

Many dogs have what is commonly known as "5minutes of madness" ... when they do inexplicable (to us at least) things, like chase their tails or go kinda crazy and run around for no apparent reason ...

But such activity may be signs that the dog is not getting enough activity or exercise (ie boredom) ... Try playing with your puppy more & reduce the periods of confinement ... and things should get better and easier.

Ah ... and don't (just because of their small size) mistake a miniature schn for a toy dog ... Smile ... they are active little doggies, needing reasonable exercise and mental activity ...

I think thats the case with Zoe too. Don't worry she wont be a problem dog lah, with such a devoted loving owner like you! Angelic Just need to exercise her more and let out her energy, run with her or teach her to fetch her toys and play fetch with her then u wont have to be so tired running with her. I run to and from the house and Sushi will follow.... after awhile she'll be tired and liedown, look at me running as if i'm stupid or what Tongue. In the end i'm more tired than her. hehe.

I don't leash her, only once in a blue moon. When i'm at home she's free to run around everywhere except the bedrooms and balcony. When i'm out, she has the whole bathroom to herself plus some extended space at the bathroom doorway too, so she gets '3D view' of the house... hehe. I use the playpen fence to make the 'extension'. I leash her sometimes when i take her to ppls hse coz they may not like sushi running allover the house, also prevents her from simply soiling ppls hse too. I leash her too when i take her to the vet coz need to put her down when i fill in forms or whatever. Other than that i carry her all the time when we go out, coz i dont want her picking up ticks or diseases as she still has one more jab to go. One thing tho... coz i don't always leash her, she is not used to it, and will chew and chew on the leash wan! Dunno how to stop her coz she thinks its a new toy! Give her other toys also she doesnt want to stop chewing her leash.... must put it on more frequent lah....

Tongue Joo Ann N Sushi

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #16 of 38 (4177 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Been following some of your postings ...

Perhaps the first thing you ought to remember about your puppy is ... she is a puppy ... *Smile* ... and puppies are almost always playful ... sometimes naughty ... but always loving ... Enjoy this time with you dog, she will grow up real fast and won't be a pup for very long ...

You are the owner & leader ... so, yes, your pup will look to you for food ... and both MMack & Hunter are right ... "food motivation" is a great tool to use in training ...

Try training the basic commands of sit, stay, down & recall first ... and ground those commands well ... and you will find that these basic commands can be very helpful when training other & new elements ... such as ... training to heel ... training to reduce barking ... etc ...

For example: When wishing to stop a dog from barking ... Your recall "come" or "sit" can be used to great effect by distracting the dog from what she is barking at and give her attention to you ...

And once you can distract the dog long enough to stop the barking ... that is the beginning and the foundation for training the next/new command, which is ... to stop barking ...

It is important to realise that effecient and good training progress in stages ... and we try not to move on to too many other new commands/elements until the earlier commands/elements are well understood and appreciated by our dogs ... Grounding a command (when the dog obeys the command almost all the time) is important ... and that requires the owner to be patient ... to train in a consistent manner and to train regularly ...

So ... take it easy, as as jooann says - don't worry ...

Give your puppy time to learn and understand each command ... and am sure all will be fine ...

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 14, 2004, 9:19 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 10:52 PM

Post #17 of 38 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy, hunter, jooann] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

You posted:

Any idea why my pup lately sometimes becomes hyper and start barking at us like as if she's in a hostile situation. We didn't even do anything but just sit there watching her sayang her suddenly she sit, then move back and start barking at us. And we can't get her to keep quiet, as we go nearer, she reverse. I never put her into any fear or hit her or anything, why is she like that?

Hmmm ... very hard to say without actually seeing your pup ... But she is still quite young right? ...

Maybe you can try this ...

(a) First - don't reprimand her for barking (not even verbally) ... so don't sold her or raise your voice ... if she is timid by nature, that may only frighten her ... And right now we don't know why she is barking and we ought not to reprimand ...

(b) Second - Have some special treats ready ... pieces of chicken ... liver bits ... cheese or sausages (cut into small pieces) ... something extra tasty with good strong smell ... something real special ...

(c) Then when she barks ... don't say a word ... just take out the treat ... and kneel down to her level ... hold out the treat ... and get her attention ... if the barking stops ... watch and observe what she does ... If the barking does not stop, move the treat slowly closer until the barking stops ... (slowly because you don't want to teach or encourage your dog to back off from you)

(d) Once the barking stops ... keep her attention focused on you (after 5seconds of silence) ... give treat ...

Repeat this every time she barks ... and during this stage of training - don't speak or make any sound ... eventually, your pup will understand that barking gets no treat ... silence gets the treat & praise ... Repeat again and again ... and as training progresses ... lengthen the period of silence before giving treat & praise ...

*** Also search the threads for "jackpot" method of treating and "conditioning dog" for how/when to give and time your treats ...

(e) When you & your dog are comfortable with the above ... as you take out the treat & the puppy goes quiet ... you say a command, "Quiet" ... or "Silence" ... whatever you wish ... and this is the command that will be the command for stop barking ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 14, 2004, 10:53 PM)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 11:07 PM

Post #18 of 38 (4166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah I think you're one of the person that is able to give the friendliest and best advice in puppy.com

Well I'll take your word. Just that I am also confused in how to handle her when she barks as if she's scared of me, if I go closer, she'll go behind.

Zoe is born in November 15th which makes her 3 months tmrw. Is that still really young? When she's quiet, and calm she's very obedient, not when she runs crazy and I have no idea why, she will run round the house seeking for nothing sometimes. Not that I don't entertain her, she's always with me during day time, unless I am sleeping, we walk around together wherever I go she follows wherever I sit she sits around and sometimes i'll just sit on the floor so she could chew her chewies on my lap too. I blif she's gotten more than enought attention from me.

Well I am just worried that she may have behaviour problem or even turned aggresive next time for doggies are not suppose to be allowed to bark at owners. I totally disapprove that and I am also afraid while barking that way, she might accidently bite me and injure me so I myself panic. Well i'll see if she still behave this way and use your method to calm her down.

About food mmotivation, not that I don't know, just that the book I bought advises me not to always give food cause if I always do, once she got too used to it, she won't really do it without food anymore. So I used praised which still Zoe favours the food over praise. Her time where she's most crazy is usually morning and evening bout 7 plus or 8 plus.

Hope all things goes well.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 11:13 PM

Post #19 of 38 (4163 views)
Shortcut

Yes hor? Then I not so worry. It just looks like she runs around like going mad already like very anxious as if the house just got on fire. So she roams around the living room the most she'll run in and out of the chairs arrangements, go into her house area mess up the newspaper on the floors, run out again, run to kitchen, run out again, around the chairs into the room and out and suddenly stop. When I ask her why, she goes runnin' again. Weird. Hahaha. But its cute to see her run cause when she runs, you know la her breed, her ear very beautiful wan, large long and furry, it'll all fly back like hair like that, revealing tiny hairs standing from the base of her ear and her head will be lifted slightly up and tongue out. Haha. Just hope she don't injure herself while running cause my house floor marble and she don't get that much friction which cause her to have `no breaks' running at full speed so you'll always see her skid when running fast. Sometimes summore bang table leg. She like don't know what's the meaning of pain!!!

Hahaha. Our doggies bout same age, you keep me update on how your dog is improving k, and your tricks you teach and so on. We can back each other up.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 15, 2004, 7:12 AM

Post #20 of 38 (4158 views)
Shortcut

*Smile* ... thank you ...

Yes, at 12weeks ... your dog is still a very young ... On the average, dogs reach mental & physical maturity at about 12 to 18months ... Some bigger breeds take a little longer to reach physical maturity ...

Jooann has already explained about the 5minutes of madness ... so not to worry ... it's quite normal.

Food Motivation:

True ... some trainers & authors prefer using praise rather than food ... they seem to be of the view that a dog should be trained to obey commands out of "respect" or "love" for the owner/trainer and not because of food ...

I am not entirely convinced by that rationale ... That approach seems to contradict Pavlov's experiments on conditioning ... and tries to impute the human perception of respect & love into dogs ... and I am reminded of what the Skete Monks wrote in their book ...

" ... Though it is entirely natural for us to project human motives onto dogs, ultimately this is unfair: it puts expectations on dogs that disregard their reality ..."

For me personally, I look at the pup/dog and decide which method to use ... and I will use whatever works ... including standing on my head (if that helps) ...

For a new trainer with young pup ... the most important thing for BOTH is to succeed ... success (even little ones) builds confidence ... and I believe in using whatever works ... if your pup is food motivated - then by all means use food ... Just be careful, use little treats - so that pup doesn't get fat ... Tongue ... Once trainer & dog have learnt to understand the method and manner of training ... everything else becomes much easier ...

Not that I don't entertain her, she's always with me during day time, unless I am sleeping, we walk around together wherever I go she follows wherever I sit she sits around and sometimes i'll just sit on the floor so she could chew her chewies on my lap too. I blif she's gotten more than enought attention from me.

From your post, it doesn't sound like your pup lacks attention ... Smile

... But do be a little careful and don't spoil your dog ... A spoilt dog will behave like a spoilt child, and can also be difficult to handle and train ... try and find a good balance ... Your role is to be a responsible leader ...

What puzzles me a little is your dog retreating when you approach ...

You posted ... "... if I go closer, she'll go behind..."

... What do you mean "go behind"? ... Go behind what? ... Does the pup try to hide?

Well I am just worried that she may have behaviour problem or even turned aggresive next time for doggies are not suppose to be allowed to bark at owners. I totally disapprove that and I am also afraid while barking that way, she might accidently bite me and injure me so I myself panic.

All dogs bark ... and barking at an owner is not necessarily a sign of aggression or behaviour problem ...

Dogs use barks to communicate and express themselves ... to deny dogs a right to expression is both wrong and irresponsible ...

What we should try and do is to learn and understand what the different barks, body postures and expressions mean ... so that we can better communicate with our dogs ...

And, with that understanding, we should only restrict or limit barking improper barking ...

For example: A dog may bark at owner to say hello ... And a spoilt dog may bark at owner to "demand" attention ... Ideally, we should only train to limit the 2nd type of barking ...

"Aggression" is a very different issue ... try checking this thread ...

http://www.puppy.com.my/...g=aggression;#116162

Cheers Smile

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 15, 2004, 7:54 AM

Post #21 of 38 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I can tell that you really love Zoe by your concern and anxiety. You also are having lots of fun. Puppies are really fun. I have 2 puppies which I brought home at 10 weeks and they are 7 months old now. Having the puppies was a big lesson in patience but it was an rewarding experience. So far, SIT is the only command they consistently respond to. Maybe that is their command to us for food, heheheh. The rest depends on their mood or is too advanced, sigh. But somehow, after 5 months the doggies and people kind of understand each other, phew. I guess I am a lousy trainer with a good relationship with my doggies. Anyway, your Zoe is 12 weeks old, right? That is very young and maybe equivalent to a human toddler. Training for tricks is fine but I feel that you cannot expect consistency at that tender age. Relax and just enjoy the puppy. With a good home and handler, I am sure Zoe will become more steady and attentive as she matures. Best regards,J

DoggiePuppy

Feb 15, 2004, 7:33 PM

Post #22 of 38 (4153 views)
Shortcut

hehe...another word of wisdom from you. I think Zoe is behaving a little spoilt cause lack of discipline, she gets almost everything she wants without hessitation. I must learn to stop giving up by her poor thing facial expression or else she'll grow up commanding me instead I think.

As for the retreating, when she barks at me it is partly as if like she forgets who am I, so she barks at me and when I get closer she looks as if like she's protecting herself from getting attack so she'll slightly move behind a bit. So yesterday what I tried is with food. I stand still and keep quiet and slowly ask her to sit and gave her food. I notice she'd bark usually when she runs around too much like yesterday she runs up and down. I am just afraid she might accidently bite me otherwise should be fine for now, since she's a puppy, being noisy a little at times I can accept.

I am slowly getting her to find her bone toy, she'll chew I'll hide it in a very near place and ask her where's her bone, so that she can find it. Hide it under newspaper and so she find lor, so clever. I guess she learns slowly, but as long as she learns, its ok with me. I am patient.

Biggest problem actually with her now is her teeth and nails are very sharp cause of young. So she loves to climb up on ppl's lap without realizing her nails are razor sharp and all of us would have red lines on our laps and hands sometimes.

Any tips on making her understand we don't want jumping as greeting?? I've tried food, but after one round of food, she'll jump again. Tried holding her down like the book said, but she'll try to bite my hand to let it go so she can jump again. Hmmmmmm.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 15, 2004, 7:36 PM

Post #23 of 38 (4152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Teach pup `hand' [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi thanks for participating in my question. Those pictures your pups!! Yea i believe you are right also. It requires lots of patient. I read somewhere also that before getting a puppy, you better make sure you have patient and some dogs takes longer than the other, if we have no patient, don't do training or it'll not do any good to the dog ma.

Anyway, what's always been my concern is not whether how long she'll take to learn ler, just that I see everybody like their pups learning so fast I just worry I am not doing a job well enough after stunt the dog's growth and intelligence not fair for her lor.

Cheers!Blush

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 16, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #24 of 38 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

I think ... from your description ... your puppy is not barking because she suddenly does not recognise you or is trying to be aggressive ... I think your puppy may be barking because she is "demanding" your attention ...

As I mentioned earlier ... don't spoil your dog ... As a responsible owner and leader you must maintain good healthy discipline (no need to be harsh or strict, to maintain good discipline) ... good discipline is consistency ...

Biggest problem actually with her now is her teeth and nails are very sharp cause of young. So she loves to climb up on ppl's lap without realizing her nails are razor sharp and all of us would have red lines on our laps and hands sometimes.

Any tips on making her understand we don't want jumping as greeting?? I've tried food, but after one round of food, she'll jump again. Tried holding her down like the book said, but she'll try to bite my hand to let it go so she can jump again. Hmmmmmm.

Nails: ... cut her nails regularly ... best to start when she is pup ... cut her nails every week ... let her get used to you handling her from young.

Biting: Dogs use their mouth and tongue to explore, and they do this by "mouthing" (useing mouth to touch and feel) ... BUT a pup must also be taught that BITING is wrong ... Check the threads for suggestions and solutions to this problem ... Your pup should be taught from young that biting is a definite NO.

Jumping: As I mentioned earlier ... if you ground the basic commands of sit, stay and down ... these commands will help you teach a pup not to jump ... when she jumps ... say NOOO in a low growly way ... and then give command to sit ... So grounding your basic commands is very important.

I will seriously suggest that you get a good training manual ... A good manual will have lots of solutions.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 16, 2004, 12:41 AM)

sweesan
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004, 7:30 AM

Post #25 of 38 (4124 views)
Shortcut

how do u teach "stay" ??

Hugo's Collection Laugh

Hugo's Collection II
Laugh

My site

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my