Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
puppy has flaky skin...

j_ove2

Feb 13, 2004, 5:39 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2840 views)
Shortcut
puppy has flaky skin... Can't Post

hi all,
my 3 mths jerrie the silky has flaky skin. n it was getting worse. the flakes were getting more n thicker. so i brought him to the vet yest. the vet said it may be due to food, shampoo, environment, fungus or mites. but the most suspicious is food becos i'm feeding him with Acana Premium Deluxe for active dogs recommended by the petshop. i may have to change to the puppy formula. any suggestions?
he prescribed jerrie with some antibiotics for 10 days.
hopefully he gets better Frown

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 6:14 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ove2] puppy has flaky skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

You should try to change to puppy formula cause your pup's only 3 months old. Please do that gradually or he might get diarrhea. Also, you could give Jerrie some coat supplements (you can find it if you surf the puppy.com online shopping store) or Cod liver oil/salmon omega 3 capsules or Brewers Yeast.

Hope Jerrie gets well soon Smile

j_ove2

Feb 13, 2004, 6:25 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] puppy has flaky skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cshellz. thanks for the concern.
yea i do feed him with cod liver oil.
hope jerrie will have a healthy skin n coat soon!Unimpressed

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 6:49 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2832 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Just checked the A*ana website ... okay, not the best available, but not likely to cause your silky's flaky skin ... Allergy to food is not so common ... And (as far as I know), it is also not so common for food allergies to cause flaky skin ...

Did you vet run any tests on your pup?

If not - you need to find a vet who is prepared to spend time with you & your dog to try and identify the cause or at least narrow down the possible causes of the condition ...

If you check the previous threads - you will realise that this general treatment of prescribing antibiotics is not likely to solve a skin problem ...

Vets who do that are simply buying time and hoping that the pup will grow out of the problem ... Sometimes this method works, but if it does - its no thanks to the vet ... but when it doesn't work, then you will have spent money, time ... and the skin condition may have gotten worse ...

Try changing the food and giving the antibiotics ... but observe your dog carefully ... and monitor progress ...

Cheers ... Smile

j_ove2

Feb 13, 2004, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] puppy has flaky skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks surchinmy...
actually the vet did suggest the test. for fungus n skin scraping. but he said it's a little early to conclude now even with the test. he suggest that i take the antibiotics, try changing the food n see if it improves within 2 weeks. i hope it's ok.
i'm considering changing to sc***** diet puppy bite.
i'm using bio***** shampoo .
any views?

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 7:30 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Ah ...

Always very happy to hear of vet who is prepared to take time and trouble to do investigatory tests to help determine skin condition ... Okay, follow up in 2 weeks and then see how ...

Food:

Hmmm ... I would go for at least a Super Premium Brand ... the ones I am familiar are ... N*tro & A*F ... they are quite good ... But if you can afford the Holistic Brands, then most of them are good (but a bit expensive) ...

I am not too keen on the brand you are thinking of. But remember, not all brands suit all dogs ... sometimes have to experiment a little ...

Will also suggest that you consider supplementing the kibble with freshly prepared food ... check the threads on nutrition ... We have found that adding freshly prepared foods is one very good way of helping puppies get strong and more resistent to many common ailments ...

Shampoo

You need to select the shampoo for the purpose required ... and good safe shampoos are not cheap. The cheaper shampoos sometimes contain scents and ingredients that are themselves allergens ...

But for the moment, I suggest that you just use a good general shampoo like Epi-Soothe ... which is mild and gentle, with some anti-itching properties ... Do not use any strong medicated shampoo (like those containing anti-fungicides, t-tree oil etc) yet, because that can mask the symptoms and make it difficult for vet to get accurate test results ...

Best to do tests first then - decide what treatment or shampoo is required.

Cheers Smile

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 14, 2004, 4:31 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2814 views)
Shortcut

Hi !!!

Try give your pup a balance ratio (5:1 / 10:1) Omega3 & Omega6 fatty acid Supplement. Hope it will solve your problem.Wink

Regards,

Chrisong

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2801 views)
Shortcut

it cld be food related etc. and its a good thing that the vet did some test...

but antibiotics at such a young age? just make sure that the antibiotics were not given whilst the pup was at the 1st injection.

j_ove2

Feb 25, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2790 views)
Shortcut

hi hi,
jerrie finished his 10 days course of antibiotics. his flaky condition improved a little as the 'flakes' are smaller n not so big piece anymore. so i brought him to the vet for followup check. he did the test on mites and fungus n found a mild indication of fungus. so he suggested we use Malaseb medicated shampoo. without any other medication. will monitor his condition for 1 month or so.
another thing is jerrie's odour. i wonder if it's due to his skin condition. i just bathed him 2 days ago, n now he start to have a bad odour. i tried using grooming powder on him but still smell.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 2:22 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2788 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Fungal infection can cause flaky skin and strong odour ... I wouldn't bother with grooming powder ... Malaseb is pretty effective for fungal infections ... but please remember:

(a) Malaseb is a strong shampoo - so keep away from puppy's eyes and don't let pup lick the shampoo ...

(b) Follow the instruction on the Malaseb bottle for maximum effectiveness ... and remember to rinse carefully ...

A gentle reminder - maybe consider supplementing the kibble with (i) freshly prepared foods ... and (ii) a good general supplement such as Keeper's Mix ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 25, 2004, 2:24 AM)

j_ove2

Mar 8, 2004, 6:46 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2767 views)
Shortcut

hi..
jerrie recovered from his flaky skin problem after using malaseb. but recently, there are some red 'biji biji' behind his years n down the top of the neck. i read through some of the threads advising to wash the area with savlon or dettol n apply dettol cream. i did that. the skin around the area dried up. then i went to the pet shop, they recommended a cream Himax. have u heard of it? i applied once.. then after that, dunno is it coincidence, his fur on one area shed (behind the ears) n like got exposed skin.
will be bringing him to the vet soon. just wondering if u have encountered this b4.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2004, 11:25 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2764 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Sorry ... don't know Himax ... so cannot comment ...

Generally, I find that Savlon or Dettol has a drying effect on a dog's skin ... that may depend on how strong a solution you are using ...

Mostly for minor irritation, we just dissolve some natural salt (sea or rock salt) in water - and use that to clean the area - it works pretty well without drying out the dog's skin ...

If you suspect the Himax to have caused the bald patch, then discontinue its use and let your vet have a look ... You can always show the Himax to your vet and ask for his comments.

Cheers Smile

j_ove2

Mar 8, 2004, 11:38 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2761 views)
Shortcut

hi...
the seasalt u mentioned is it the one we can get fr the aquarium shop? can i use normal table salt instead?
thanks.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

I am not familiar with the salt sold in Aquarium shops ...

We use sea salt or rock salt from supermarkets ... I have this belief that "natural" salt (as opposed to the normal table salt) contains minerals that are good for the skin ... (but I cannot remember specifically, where I got this bit of information from) ...

Cheers Smile

j_ove2

Mar 12, 2004, 10:47 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2748 views)
Shortcut

hi,

finally brought jerrie to the vet yest for his 3rd vaccination and to check on his skin prob. the vet said he scratched too much on the 'biji biji' n caused exposed wound. the fur around the area made it difficult to heal. so he had to shave off 2 patches of jerrie's fur. so sakit hati!! then he gave me some cream to apply daily. he oso prescribed jerrie with another dose of antibiotic. oh man..so young oledi take so many types of antibiotic. i went to a different vet this time (ss18) . do u have any good vet around subang jaya area to recommend??

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2004, 12:00 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

But the vet didn't say what caused the "biji-biji"? ... Maybe you can call and ask? ... Did this vet do any tests on the area?

Yes, shaving the area will help ... makes it easier to keep the area clean & dry ... Do try your best to prevent further scratching on the affected areas.

Sorry ... don't know any vets in Subang Jaya area ...

Cheers Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my