Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
puppy barking wee hours in the morning

j_ove2

Feb 13, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1253 views)
Shortcut
puppy barking wee hours in the morning Can't Post

hi all,
my new silky terrier 3 mths old, jerrie started to bark around 5 - 6 am everymorning. the duration of his bark is getting shorter but i'm still worried bcos i'm living in an aprtment n this might annoy my neighbours. i suspect he wants to poo poo. wat shud i do to adjust his poo poo timing?
pls help
thanks

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 2:06 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ove2] puppy barking wee hours in the morning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Assume the following:

(a) The pup is kept in a crate during the night.

(b) The crate is outside your the bedroom.

(c) That the pup is barking in morning because he wants to toilet.

Some basic things we cannot change ... (i) Puppies eliminate more frequently than adults ... (ii) Puppies bark.

One of the things we should not try to change - Pups by instinct do not wish to poop where the sleep ... Changing this instinctive habit, can cause problems and more issues later on ...

So your house training ought to be designed around these basic fact and issues.

Suggestion:

(A) Suggest bringing the crate into the bedroom ... makes it easier to do the rest.

(B) When you pup barks in the morning ... approach the pup ... and when the pup settles down and stays quiet ... let the pup out to poop & wee ...

(C) Dogs have a great sense of time ... their internal clock is really accurate ... and you can expect the pup to wake you again the next morning at almost the same time ... Now what you do is use this internal clock to your advantage ...

(D) Everyother day ... start to let the pup out 10minutes later than the previous time ... that way you move the pup's internal clock slowly to a more decent time in the morning ...

(E) In order to assist the above ... you can try the following... (i) No more drinking say 3hours before bedtime ... (ii) Remember to allow one last toilet before putting puppy into crate to sleep ... Let the pup stay up later is okay, that'll encourage the pup to wake up later in the morning ...

Check the other threads for toilet training and house training ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my