Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Can dogs be trusted off leash..??

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 30, 2002, 5:10 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4505 views)
Shortcut
Can dogs be trusted off leash..?? Can't Post

Was wondering if dogs can be trusted off leash without being trained...like in a park or something?? Do dogs generally want to stay by their owners side??

Pat

Jan 30, 2002, 6:03 PM

Post #2 of 16 (4499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Can dogs be trusted off leash..?? [In reply to] Can't Post

DEar Rainbow,

In my opinion it is not a good idea. Even if the dog is trained it would still stray off leash at times, eg. when they see cats or other people playing and they want to play along etc, not to mention an untrained dog. It is not advisable to let it loose in an open field if there are other people around. Do remember we are staying in a Muslim country and it may get you into trouble. Perhaps it is ok in a wild jungle or public area during the quieter hours.

Regards,

Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 30, 2002, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Can dogs be trusted off leash..?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Pat, those were my thoughts exactly but I saw a man let his dog off the leash today and was just wondering...

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 31, 2002, 2:15 AM

Post #4 of 16 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Aaiyo Rainbow,
Mana boleh.
I thought you have already obtained your diploma from this forum, and now you come with a question if dogs can be trusted off the leash without being trainedUnsure
My pack of 8, only 2 are able to perform such a feat.
I suppose all could do it provided sufficient training is given and subject to the following conditions.
You dog must respond to the recall AT ONCE. It must be well exposed to all types of surroundings. It must have nerves of steel. It must not be distracted by sudden movements.
And most important of all capitalise and exploit your last sentence. By this, I'll send you a pvt message and tell you how.

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 31, 2002, 2:37 AM

Post #5 of 16 (4489 views)
Shortcut

wild jungle got snakes, not so healthy. Best is still during quieter hours in public places during 10.30AM- 11.00AM, but do be careful of two things.
Visitors having picnic or tar pow, after eating do not dispose the leftovers in the proper place, and worst of all are crows bringing chicken parts from whereever it originated and these parts are more often contaminated through long overdue exposure.
My 2 sens worth of opinion.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 31, 2002, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Can dogs be trusted off leash..?? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL Derrick...the reason I asked was seems that out of 3 dogs I own, only 1 can be trusted and the other 2 cannot..and I don't know how we managed to train him that way..he won't even run out of the house even if he sees a cat at the gate..and you know dachshunds are stubborn and difficult to train...my new pup knows what COME means but she only does it when she feels like it so I don't know what to do the other times..any suggestions??

Just took her for walkies and she don't know what she ate...looked like stones...first time is has happened so will look out for these chicken bones and stuff you mentioned..

Pat

Jan 31, 2002, 5:51 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4479 views)
Shortcut

Derrick,

With your pack of 8 dogs, snake will run away leh! Public places can be boring. There is actually forest which is not so wild but low profile. It has waterfall and ponds, and tracking is good for dog's stamina, I am sure you can think of some...anyway, any tip must not just benefit rainbow. share share ma...

I think before thinking of letting the dog loose, one must ensure that the dog will come back to its home within the vicinity of the house if let loose. If they do not have a sense of direction in the neighbour hood I think it is jumping the gun to let it loose elsewhere, especially when the dog is not trained to come back when called. Of course I think it would be easier if one owns a pack of dogs and there are some experts within the pack as it is within their nature to explore in a pack. If 2 out of 3 dogs come back to the owner, the other one would usually follow wouldnt it?

Pat

Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2002, 6:22 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4476 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rainbow,

I used to let off my boxer within a grass ground area near my home. The technique I used to control her was getting a very long rope or leash for her. By this, you can control her when she is trying to approach other people or trying to run away! I played with her by this way and she was happy to roam around freely Wink. Just an idea !

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 31, 2002, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4472 views)
Shortcut

Ha Ha Pat,
You really sererved a pat on the shoulders. You have such an acute sense of humour, and your phrasing of sentences and choice of words make you a perfect match on your profession.
If you are looking for such a paradise nowadays within the 20km radius in Selangor, you might as well stay at home and watch TV, or hug your dog.
Rainbow is a special friend of mine. She started off in this forum just like you, but over the months, she has picked up so many things on doggie related issues, she will soon be overtaking her mentor. I suppose this is what you might call, attitude and aptitude in learning!
You are quite right to say that before anyone lets off the dog and allow it to enjoy a free run, your animal must first develop its sense of direction. I would expect most member would apply the theory of common sense prevails.
A pack of dogs will behave differently when they are in their own garden, and they will react differently when taken to another location. The most I could control is three in numbers when they go into environmental changes.
I don't know if your assumption is applicable from the closing sentence of your post. Will let you know if it works.
Regards.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2002, 2:39 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4467 views)
Shortcut

LOL Derrick..I don't think I can ever overtake my mentor..not in this lifetime for sure!! Smile Will still continue to ask questions especially on showing but hehhee...I'll make sure my questions don't sound dumb..You views are very much appreciated!!

Pat, didn't realise you are a lawyer until Derrick pointed it out.... You REALLY do deserve a pat on your shoulder!!! Smile Great phrasing.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 1, 2002, 2:52 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4466 views)
Shortcut

I did not mention Pat was a lawyer, I only said her choice of words matches her profession. Be very careful now, I'll ask Pat to sue eh, then you will know.Sly

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2002, 3:01 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4465 views)
Shortcut

I saw her profile Derrick. Smile....Don't sue me lar..I student poor..

.. )) -::-
. ))
((. .. -::- Rainbow -::-
-::- ((.*

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 1, 2002, 3:14 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4463 views)
Shortcut

So poor driving a BMW 7 series to Inti College eh? and imported a long-haired LCK from Australia?

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 1, 2002, 5:34 AM

Post #14 of 16 (4460 views)
Shortcut

Eh don't publicise lar..after I get robbed!!! LOL..like real ler...Smile

HWONG
Novice

Feb 2, 2002, 8:27 AM

Post #15 of 16 (4453 views)
Shortcut

A dog should never be let off the leash no matter how confident one is of the dog's obedience because the very sight of an intimidating looking dog instill fear in most people who are likely to panic or react confusingly to attract your dog's attention which makes the situation worse. You cannot predict nor control the affected's behavior.

This lead me to relate an unforgetable incident I witnessed involving my mother. She took her small dog out for her usual walk. But that morning, I heard her screaming and banging at the front gate. I ran out to open the gate and to my horror a large GSD and a Dalmatian trapped her in a corner trying to get at her dog. The poor women hugged the dog exposing her back to the two dogs. I shouted at the dogs but they were the least concerned but instead turned their attention to me. Their aggresive behavior made me really upset. I picked a slipper and threw at the nearest dog. It did not even flinch. By this time I took hold of a spade and ran towards them. They only calmly walked away. The darnest thing was; the bloody owner was no where to be seen. I drove my car trying to trail them. There they were doing the same thing to a man and his spitz. Fortunately the man was cool as a cucumber and nothing happened. Instead of running back to their home they were loitering around the area. I left after a while unable to trace the owner. One would think that the dogs may have ran out without the owner's knowledge BUT I was told by neighbours that they have seen the pair running loose before.

All you need is an idiotic and irresponsible owner like this and its no wonder the local council wants to curtail dog ownership. The next morning being a Sunday, I walked the neighbourhood trying to locate the pair or their home unsuccessfully. God only know how I would have confronted the owner!

So, right there you have two reactions to the same pair of dogs and what a difference the outcome.

If you still think it is a good idea to unleash your dog, be prepared to face the consequences. You may not be so lucky. I sincerely hope we shall be responsible owners.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 2, 2002, 7:02 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HWONG] Can dogs be trusted off leash..?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hwong..maybe next time you should trap the two dogs and wait for the owner to come and look for them...that person is really irresponsible..tis sad to hear such things...Obviously this owner needs to be trained..Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my