IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Responding when called.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 9:16 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Responding when called. Can't Post

Zoe is not really responding when her name is called. Rather I feel she sometimes comes because she thought I want to feed her or something like that. When she's sniffing around or I lost sight of her and I call her, she wouldn't really care. And no she's not deaf I've tested it. I've tried many methods of getting her to recognize her name and its been a week and two days now. Any suggestion??
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 8, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Responding when called. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi again! try searching thru the threads about 're-call' written by surchinmy. his methods are great. i've tried it and it works most of the time. when you call your zoe, always use your happy voice and plus with a treat. take this training as a game for zoe. in the end, zoe will associate you calling that it's happy, happy. training shouldn't last too long for your dog, maybe 5-10 mins as they get bored very quickly. once or twice a day should be fine. alternate the re-call with and without treats. most of all, lots of patience. i trained my dog 'stay' and 're-call' at the same time.

it works most of the time with my dog because if he's with other dogs, he will not come at all when i call, even with treats in hand. susah a bit.

anyway, good luck.

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 8, 2004, 9:58 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Responding when called. [In reply to] Can't Post

In order for you to successfully do a recall or any other obedience training, you have to understand and work with the dog's natural instinct. Do a correct inprint the very first time and it will form a foundation for life. A puppy is not born to be independent. He will always need to look to you for instruction and guidance. Many people ignore this development time until it is too late where this instinct got lost as got ignored as they grows. It is then people will try to enforce and train for recalls and attention and such which will be against the wrong habits that we (indirectly) teached into them. This will then cause conflicts and resulting in the use of force and compulsion to make them work....unfortunately you will never get a happy dog this way. I can guarantee u.

You mentioned he comes sometimes when called but its because he thoughts that its feeding time. This is the most important of their survival instinct - food drive. U must learn to use it or u will lose it. For now what u want is to be the center of universe of your pupppy. U want to make yourself the most interesting person for your puppy so that your puppy will always want to be with you and no one else. For a start. SInce his food drive is good use some treets. Call him and once he look at you feed little by little so that he eats it in one gulp. Then act ignorant until the puppy start to do other thing then call the name again and feed. Do this more and your puppy will sure come to you one time and every time......no need for compulsion. Doing it this way will make him learn 2 things.
  1. His name = nice treets
  2. come = food reward

This is obedience made easy. Dont have to wait until 5-6 months like most professional OB teachers will tell u. Smile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 8, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] Responding when called. [In reply to] Can't Post

Snoopdog,

U have to first know what type of O/B u r trying to achieve with your puppy. Is it competitive obedience or a pet obedience. Both have their importance but differs slightly in their approaches and methods. In a competitive obedience u would want to recall with a rocket rush, straight and focused then sit in the precise position. For pet obedience you would want the dog to come whatever way be it sitting, standing, sleeping or doing a rumble with neighbours dog.

In a competitive recall training best to do it in a formal session involving one command only until learned then move on to another command. Agreed short session at all times.

In a pet obedience, you want to do it not at specifics timing. You can recall while watching tv, laying in bed, cooking, ......... basicly as much as your creativeness can put it......always with the dogs favourite food treets ort toy in hand for reward. It does not have to be many times just once or twice will do always ending with the dog being given something nice as a reward. Care is to be taken that if you have nothing nice to give then dont call and risk dissapointment of your dog. Long term conditioning this way will make the recall real solid.

This is my own invention....lolSmile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my