Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Licking!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 7:18 PM

Post #1 of 34 (3797 views)
Shortcut
Licking!! Can't Post

My pup smells and lick almost everything she sees sometimes...is there something wrong or is it normal? A friend of mine said she never see such behaviour before.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 8, 2004, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 34 (3793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi Zoe's owner,

I think it's quite normal. If she's not licking anything toxic, it should be fine. But if you don't want her to lick then distract her from it. My dog always licks my leg after he drinks water and my legs will be dripping with water. Also very weird behaviour but i treat it like he sayang meSlySly. My dog also licks the floor before he lies down, ver weird too. Makes the floor so stickyCrazy.

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 9:14 PM

Post #3 of 34 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'll try what you say. Just that she licks everything. Haha. Hope its normal.

snoopdog
K9 Kaki

Feb 8, 2004, 9:30 PM

Post #4 of 34 (3789 views)
Shortcut

SmileI've read about you and Zoe in the other threads and it seems you love your Zoe a lot. Dome is my first pup and he's about 9mths and so mischiveous. That's why this forum is so informative and the people are so helpful. Have fun!

Ciao
Angeline + Maximus & Dome(miss u!)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 10:38 AM

Post #5 of 34 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

We use hands and fingers to touch, feel & explore texture ... and dogs use their mouth, tongue & nose in a similar way to explore their surroundings ...

The danger is that by so doing, dogs can sometimes taste and/or ingest stuff they shouldn't ... So, its a good idea to make your home safe for your dogs ... becareful how you apply pesticides, where you place rat poisons, bleaches, soap power and other dangerous chemicals etc ... and to keep your electrical wiring out of reach ...

Cheers Smile

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 9, 2004, 6:36 PM

Post #6 of 34 (3772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

my ECS just can't stop licking my toes when they r walking with me. Pirate and i have to shout sometimes to stop them especially when i'm in a hurry to go to work. when my hands r reaching my shoes, before i touch the shoes, they'll lick my fingers as well. then u have to wash hands and waste more time!

well, i've compromise with that these days but not my sis and mother.......

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #7 of 34 (3767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makrawl] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaaah ... yes ... you have a situation that can be fun expect when you are rushing ...

Possible solutions ...

(a) Don't bother washing your hands everytime the dog licks you ... (I don't) ... *laughs*...Wink ...

(b) On a slightly more serious note ... primates within a tribe groom as part of the bonding process ... many dogs lick for the same reason ... so the dog being naughty but following its instincts ... And feet (for obvious reasons) are the most accessable heavy scented part of our bodies easily accessable to dogs (your armpits are too high ... Laugh) ...

Basic training includes training the dog to understand & obey the command "NO" ... If you have not grounded that command - then do so ... and it will assist you & your dog greatly ...

Cheers Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #8 of 34 (3764 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughLaugh ahahahah the thought of a dog "grooming" it's masters armpit is quite hilarious....kekekeke Tongue

Sparkle loves to come to my room when I'm sleeping and lick my hands/face until I get up and will sit and wait till i finish brushing my teeth so that he can walk downstairs with me Tongue Morning grooming for me eh? Wink

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 9:09 PM

Post #9 of 34 (3762 views)
Shortcut

oops ... sorry for typo ...

"... so the dog is NOT being naughty but following its instincts" ...

Cheers

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 9:11 PM

Post #10 of 34 (3761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

... Aawwwwh ... that is nice ... Smile

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 9, 2004, 9:49 PM

Post #11 of 34 (3759 views)
Shortcut

in fact they know exactly what does NO means but sometimes i just "let it" if things r not very serious.... i admit that. like the licking part (basically i do enjoy it sometimes but ARMPIT is a no no *puke*) sometimes they walk to me when i'm sitting on a small stool and they lick my back (shirt's on). and mess up my "pakaian cantik".

makrawl
Canine Addict

Feb 9, 2004, 9:50 PM

Post #12 of 34 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi michelle,

tell me that the dog in the pic is not sparkle........... why so "dark already? sun burn kah?

Mak

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 9, 2004, 10:13 PM

Post #13 of 34 (3756 views)
Shortcut

*Smile* ...

Well, understand what you say ... but from your posting ... your command "no" may not be so clear to your dog ...

It is important that we learn to be consistent when using the "no" or "stop" command (or whatever command you use to mean "stop whatever you are doing IMMEDIATELY" ... and only to use such a command when we expect immediate obedience ...

If we use "no" in such a way to also mean "sometimes also can lar" ... then we confuse our dogs ...

So, don't use the "no" or "stop" command if you don't really mean for your dog to stop whatever it is doing immediately ... Tongue ... If we go round saying "no ... no ... no ..." and then letting the dog continue with the undesired behaviour ... we make it terribly hard for our dogs, and our inconsistency causes the problem.

Do check the threads for "conditioning" and "reconditioning" a dog.

Cheers Smile

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 10, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #14 of 34 (3752 views)
Shortcut

hi, yeah armpits are too high. But my doggies like to lick our knee-pits after walks when we are sweaty. Gross? Nice. Our routine is walk then eat than rub-down. And they will lick us while enjoying tummy-rubs. My daughters think it affectionate. Best regards, J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 4:11 AM

Post #15 of 34 (3746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh *Big Laughs* ...

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 7:25 AM

Post #16 of 34 (3741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopdog] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup. I come to realize the ppl here is really helpful and patient.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #17 of 34 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Ya true!

Since the pup is in the house, I don't use pesticide anymore. If any cocroaches are spotted, I catch it with newspaper and throw it out. Don't want to take the risk!!!

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 7:29 AM

Post #18 of 34 (3739 views)
Shortcut

Hahah. Well I am ok with Zoe's licking me, just don't want her to lick everywhere not cause I don't want her to dirty places but don't want to expose her to uneccesary risk.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 9:10 AM

Post #19 of 34 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Well done ... Smile

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 9:32 PM

Post #20 of 34 (3731 views)
Shortcut

Hihi...thank you!!! She's sleepin on my lap now she's also telling u thank you I think!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 9:37 PM

Post #21 of 34 (3730 views)
Shortcut

*Awwwwaah* ... hugs to the little doggie ... Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 10:06 PM

Post #22 of 34 (3724 views)
Shortcut

hi...

why do they lick us sometimes? Friendly gesture, like kiss kiss??? Harvey licks my legs sometimes LaughSly

and he's caught licking tyson's tongue or his belly every now n then.. a sign of submission?

Popeye on the other hand likes to lick his own legs... just so they r not neat.. he likes them messy n sticky... Unsure... doesnt seem to be itch tho...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 10:21 PM

Post #23 of 34 (3721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

For why dogs like to lick ... see the post above ... Dogs lick, taste and smell as part of they way of communicating and exploring the world ... sometimes its way to show submission ... sometimes when they lick themselves it is sign of nervousness or stress or tension ... many reasons ...

Cheers Smile

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2004, 11:29 PM

Post #24 of 34 (3720 views)
Shortcut

ya.. it thin its more for submission in my case...

cant understand why they will have stress....Crazy
heeheee

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 11:32 PM

Post #25 of 34 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Licking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can also be boredom ... when dogs get bored ... they find things to do - to entertain themselves Tongue ... sometimes that involved licking their paws etc ...

We find that when we exercise our dogs sufficiently ... we avoid a lot of unecessary niggly issues and problems ...

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 11, 2004, 11:33 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my