Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Pee and poo missing the target, Help !

silky
Novice

Nov 25, 2002, 11:36 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2888 views)
Shortcut
Pee and poo missing the target, Help ! Can't Post

I stayed in a flat with a balcony. I have a 7 mth. silky which was with us for 2 weeks. She sleep in a basket in the balcony during the night and we put a cage besides her (door is always open) for her to do her business. Obviously the 1st week has pee and poo all over the places. We took some of her urine and poo and put on the newspaper and placed it above the tray which is under the cage to lure her in. We also spray some urine liquid. We also forcibly put her inside the cage once we notice she is about to do her business, hopefully to make her learn that is the right place. We are still using this method now but sometimes she already poo before we notice anything. We also lock her inside the cage about 2 hrs later after meal but she never do it. So we wouldn't want to lock her any longer.

Now for the 2nd week after we woke up, we always see her pee and poo all over the balcony. Sometimes its closed to the cage but always outside.

I don't intend to cage her in the night while we are asleep because I think its cruel (unless inevitable for training purpose-and i want to know what does it serve).

Can anybody advise how do I proceed from here? Many thanks.

lisachew

Nov 26, 2002, 2:05 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silky] Pee and poo missing the target, Help ! [In reply to] Can't Post

hie
You sure that the balcony is safe enuff to put her there?? We would not want her to jump down from it though. Crazy
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 8:25 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Pee and poo missing the target, Help ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...when I was in Penang at the beach a maid of an owner of 4 or 5 shih tzus took the dogs to the beach as well....they stayed in an apartment just by the beach....one of the shih tzu, both legs were not functioning and had to attach those wheels to it (u know the ones we sometimes see on TV so the dog is using the two front legs to walk and the wheels as their back legs)....I asked her what happened and she said the shih tzu jumped over the balcony and fell....not sure frm what floor but it is possible for them to jump over so we shd be very careful!

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2002, 8:26 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2869 views)
Shortcut

hi hi silky!
i also having same problem here. At first, my coco are allowed to run around the hallway and everywhere, and she pee and poo everywhere.

1. I try to wipe her urine on toilet wall, no use at all as my coco dun even smell while doing business, she even can run halfway and squat down pee pee.

2. Newspaper doesn't have usage at all as she will tear the newspaper and bring it all to her cage.

3. close up half of my toilet with some box and dun allowed her come out for 2 days. as she sleep and do business at the toilet. I thought she will identify her pee pee place later on. who knows after she got her freedom again, she even squat on my sofa.....

4.... I am still thinking how to train her.....

supposingly i read the 3rd method from internet and it should be working, but not for my coco..... But one good sign is that after she pee, she will lie down and dun move, because she know she is going to be scolded. Unsure WHY LA!!!! know will being scold why dun pee in toilet!!

lisachew

Nov 26, 2002, 5:09 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Pee and poo missing the target, Help ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no!!! That is so sad news!!! How can that had happened? If only the owner knows dogs are also a jumping creature. Pity that fellow. Sigh.......

So I hope that everyone here will learn that putting dogs in balcony is not a good idea. You would not know how HIGH they can jump either big or small type dogs.

Unless of course you had already fenced the whole open air balcony.

Good Luck!
Regards
Lisa

"A dash of lion, several teaspoons of rabbit, a couple ounces of old Chinese men, a bit of a beggar, a tablespoon of monkey, one part baby seal, and a dash of teddy bear." - shih tzu

silky
Novice

Nov 26, 2002, 5:36 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lisachew] Pee and poo missing the target, Help ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm asking a question how to teach my dog to pee and looking forward to some help. So please don't worry and start diverting my problem about commiting suicide. I know you are concern but don't second guess the integrity of my balcony. There are balconies built without railings. Are you going to worry she will get a cold next? Can you help to resolve my ORIGINAL problem ??

(This post was edited by silky on Nov 26, 2002, 5:59 PM)

lisachew

Nov 26, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Oh, rest assure I am really not diverting your questions to any other issues.

I am merely looking into other consequences as I have heard few bad stories that happened on some furkids living up in the balcony. Getting cold? This I know they wont as dogs tends to handle cold weather quite good with their loads of fur.

And if you are really in need of the pee and poo information, as I recalled there are lots of same issues that has been posted by many members previously. You can always search in this forum. Just use the keyword.... pee..or poo...or potty.... etc etc. I am sure there are lots of information that can help you.

Hope this helps
Regards
Lisa

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2002, 9:25 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Hi Silky, i own a silky terrier as well, she doesn't sleep out, and we do not have a cage for her, as i agree with you, i too do not like to cage my dog. Instead of getting your dog to pee and poo in the cage, why not paper train her. You can lay a few pages of newspaper in toilet floor so that everytime, she needs to pee or poo, she can do it there.. of course this comes with alot of time and patient to train them up. If you notice when she's about to do her business, quickly place her on the newspaper, after a few attempts, she should get it Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my