First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 25, 2002, 10:39 PM

Post #1 of 51 (4085 views)
Shortcut
Padang Merbuk Training?? Can't Post

Hi guys and girl,
Yesterday is the first time i went padang merbuk and wow, so many doggie there especially golden retrieval!

Wondering why all doggie there is padigree? I went to the sign up counter and that lady says that non-pedigree need to pay extra RM20. It is means that discourage us to keep non-padigree dog? Mad

About the training session in padang merbuk, is it one hours for one week enough?? even i teach my coco how to sit, shake hand also 3 times per day mah. And must i use the choke chain to train? my beagle coco even almost get choke when i tie her with normal collar, will it be a serious problem with choke chain??Shocked

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 4:33 AM

Post #2 of 51 (4070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cowcow] Padang Merbuk Training?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya,

the training is mostly pedigree dogs coz the is the association which registers pedigree dogs in Malaysia... since it's an MKA organized event, they kinda do it for their members and dogs registered with them, but just charge a bit more for dogs not registered with MKA.

1 hour per week doesnt mean you don't have to train with your dog at home... the instrcutors there KNOW if you havent been practising... they teach you 1 or 2 new things each lesson and you're supposed to master it before your next lesson (at least get better at it).

If your dog's a puppy, no need for choke chain, but for dogs they encourage training with a choke chain, but if you use it right, it won't hurt your dog...

Hey, was there training in the end yesterday? I'm in a class with Juno right now, but it rained so hard i thought class musjtve been cancelled...

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 6:42 AM

Post #3 of 51 (4068 views)
Shortcut

dear cow x 2,

luckey is absolutely right about the extra charge thing. don't get pissed off about the extra 20 bucks, it's normal for an association to provide more benefits to its members.

going to padang merbuk doesn't mean that you leave your dog there and let the instructor do the job for you. they're not training the dog. they're training you how to train your dog. you're supposed to absolve whatever taught in that one hour (normally it's enough - your dog cannot digest too many commands in one hour) and do your homework at home. if you only train an hour a week, it's definitely not enough. you'll end up embarrassed that your dog couldn't obey any of your commands in class.

using a choke chain is compulsary there. don't worry. your dog's neck is like our leg's big thigh. it doesn't hurt them much. but of course, it depends on how hard you pull the chain - your dog is small, so don't yank him too hard if not his neck will putus. haha. kidding :D most dogs will choke and let you see when you put collars or chains on them on the beginning. but as time goes, they will know, that if they do things right, they won't have to choke. it's only fair. and i must say, choke chain is really efficient for training. your dog could learn fast.

luckey : yesterday 4 pm was dismissed about 5 minutes early because of the rain. i think 5 pm don't have class coz it's quite heavy at pj.

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2002, 8:11 AM

Post #4 of 51 (4065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Padang Merbuk Training?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hi hi !
just curious about the choke chain training there. Is that means no treats after our puppy do the right thing? (i never saw anyone bring food there) instead of doing wrong thing got punish??Crazy just got confused loh! sometimes people says train dog without making the dog fear of us, but here make the dog obey you by punishment pula? Treats VS Punishment? which one is better?

hmm, regarding the padang merbuk training, need to do homework somemore after home ah?? what if my dog a bit slow ah?? would be real emberass loh???Blush wondering all guys here having practices togather when doing ur homework?

my pup is around 3 months now, should she enroll the course? last sunday i talk to a lady who also own a beagle, she says her pup already 6 month old oh. 6 month old not too late is it?

luckey : I heard the people in padang merbuk says end the 4-5pm class, while the 5-6pm class will be having replacement next week. Is ur doggie there too?

P.S. : I also saw 1 funny thing there, a dog poo beside the training corner. but then the dog owner dun bring anythin to pick up, just leave it there oh! Should we bring a plastic bag along when get our pup for training??

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 9:54 AM

Post #5 of 51 (4059 views)
Shortcut

I wouldnt say the training there is "punishment" versus rewards (treats)... we are still encouraged to reward our dog when he/she does something right, buy praising him/her and patting and stroking. when you pull on the choke chain, it doesnt reallly hurt, so not really punishment. The instructors there dont encourage you to hit the dog in any way.

My class is usually at 5pm... i didn't go and assumed it was cancelled coz so heavy the rain... did they happen to tell you when the replacement class will be this week? (since we also have regular class)?

and yup, u need to bring pooper scopper plastic bag along. Smile

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 9:55 AM

Post #6 of 51 (4057 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter

Are you attending class at Padang Merbuk as well? What level and what dog?

Smile ~ Luckey

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 5:51 PM

Post #7 of 51 (4053 views)
Shortcut

hi cowcow,
training one hour a week is not enough ...you need to teach you pooch at home everyday........the session might be just 15 min that will be good enough just make twice a day......happy trainingSmileWink

regards
kangser and nous

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 26, 2002, 5:58 PM

Post #8 of 51 (4052 views)
Shortcut

Whenever our dogs do the right things, we always praise them and you can also reinforced it with some treats. Dogs by nature like to please their owner. Praising them or giving them treats is to let them know that are the right thing that we want them to do. Punishment is strongly discouraged. One of the important exercise in the obedience training is the Recall Exercise where your dog must come to you willing and happily and with speed. If you punish your dog frequently, he may hesitate to come to you whenever you issue the come command thinking that you may punish him for something.

Dogs at six months or even one year old is still not too late for training. As for the weekly homework, you need to train your dog yourself everyday for about 15 minutes a day or else you will not be able to catch up. Always remember that those MKA trainers are training you and it is your reponsibilty to train your dog to obey and understand what you want them to do.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2002, 9:49 PM

Post #9 of 51 (4042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Padang Merbuk Training?? [In reply to] Can't Post

luckey,
I not sure about the replacement class as for me is the first time went over there to see the condition of doggie training. The first time in my life saw so many dog togather! Wink

my pup still waiting for this sunday last injection, and had to wait another week. Guess won't be so fast able to enroll in the training class.Unsure Maybe i can watch the trainer how they train and i train my coco at home? The my coco would be the smartest student at there later on loh!? Tongue

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2002, 9:52 PM

Post #10 of 51 (4042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Padang Merbuk Training?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Kangser and nous,
I just wondered if you train at home, they are wearing the choke chain all the while? or when training starts only need to wear? (maybe when i try to put on the choke chain she went crazy again and bite me???Pirate)

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2002, 10:02 PM

Post #11 of 51 (4038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Padang Merbuk Training?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Khoobg!
Wondering are you the most expert on doggie here? Thanks thanks for you info oh!!Wink

I always see in TV the dog can carry the basket around, go shoping, open door, close door, fetch news paper, is this considered part of the training too?? Or maybe it is very depending on what breed of dog i am keeping?(normally i see is golden retrieval on show, if you have ever watch the "chong wu le tou tou" in TVBS astro, thursday 7 something that one. there is also a dog that know maths! Laugh)

If i plan to start training on my own first before my coco complete her vacination, should i use choke chain first? is choke chain common at pet shop?

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 26, 2002, 11:41 PM

Post #12 of 51 (4034 views)
Shortcut

hi cowcow,
nous only wear choke chain when i train him....if no training he will wear those normal chain you get from pet shop.......and make sure your doggie wear the correct side of the choke chain.......SmileWink
regards

kangser and nous

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 27, 2002, 6:56 AM

Post #13 of 51 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Oh No. I am not the most expert here. There are many other members who know much more than me Smile

By the way, choke chain is commonly available in all pet shop. Buy the one made of stainless steel that will last long. Like WKSER said, we only put on the choke chain during the training session.

Cheers

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 27, 2002, 10:10 AM

Post #14 of 51 (4019 views)
Shortcut

thanks for all ur advise! Angelic

I am going to get choke chain soon! and start torture Coco, kakakaa! Wink just kidding!

Better that I let Coco get used to it first, because now even on collor and a leash and she already started to struggling!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 27, 2002, 10:17 PM

Post #15 of 51 (4013 views)
Shortcut

hello luckey.

yeah i'm attending the class at padang merbuk. currently i'm in novice. the last "semester" my dog passed novice, but i took him there again this "semester" because he love the classes so much :)

by the way? what level are you at?

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 28, 2002, 3:06 AM

Post #16 of 51 (3998 views)
Shortcut

oh cool! why don't you take your dog for the one after novice? is that intermediate? what kinda things do you do in novice class?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 29, 2002, 7:59 AM

Post #17 of 51 (3984 views)
Shortcut

yeah it's intermediate. well, to join intermediate, you're supposed to pass your dog in real obedience trials... pre-novice, and novice if not mistaken. somehow i didn't realize that until graduation day - i skipped the competition the other day, coz i was too busy to train my dog. i know my dog will be kinda upset if he's gotta stop class.. and also i fear that he might forget everything before i manage to take him participate in the next competition.. so i chose to take him for novice class again.

well, novice ah? basically it's all about off leash. walking your dog off leashed. recall, off leash, from very far distance. stand stay (where you face in front of your dog, not stand next to him). it's more strict in many sense. i mean, they're more picky about your performance, if compared to pre-novice :D but in all words, it's only fun.

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2002, 3:46 PM

Post #18 of 51 (3979 views)
Shortcut

wow your dog so smart, can do offleash!!

hey you mean for CGC basic course, you can pass and get medal at the end of every course, but for novice, you have to wait till the quarterly obedience trials?

I know what u mean about dogs missing class... poor Juno, I started her in the basic course and she has gotten to absolutely love it, but she's really my mum's dog, not mine, and i need to start taking luckey my puppy, so will have to stop taking juno soon... but feel bad coz i know how she looks forward to these outings!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2002, 6:26 AM

Post #19 of 51 (3967 views)
Shortcut

haha no.. my dog is not smart. just pure silly. i believe your dog can do really good in class too if he/she heads to novice later. after all, the trainer (amanda) was really good. i mean, her teaching are really efficient.

sad to say, you only get a medal and a cert for CGC. others you do have trials, and if you're lucky, sometimes they do offer few bags free dog food to the 3 runner ups!

anyway, if your dog wants to learn more, prize and placings doesn't matter. the trials are only to prepare your dog for the real thing. so, just have fun!

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2002, 6:38 AM

Post #20 of 51 (3965 views)
Shortcut

yeah... plan to have loads of fun...w e are doing everything! COnformation shows, obedience, even agility! hey are you coming tomorrow?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2002, 6:45 AM

Post #21 of 51 (3964 views)
Shortcut

hmm.. i dunno la... my dog so silly, dare not take him come. somemore, it's all last minute and all, i didn't have time to prepare things to take along tomorrow la.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 30, 2002, 6:57 AM

Post #22 of 51 (3963 views)
Shortcut

You can join us at the agility party without bringing anything. Just your dog will do Smile

Cheers

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2002, 7:38 AM

Post #23 of 51 (3961 views)
Shortcut

yeah thanks alot. i will try to come. hope to see u guys tomorrow ;)

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2002, 9:59 PM

Post #24 of 51 (3951 views)
Shortcut

hey your dog's not silly... your dog's one of the most beautiful goldens we've ever seen... hope our brinkley grows up to be like Hunter! Smile nice meeting u today.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 3, 2002, 5:52 AM

Post #25 of 51 (3933 views)
Shortcut

haha.. thanks for the compliment. don't worry. lookin' at brinkley's pics, i'm sure she/he? will become a gorgeous golden in future :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my