First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 6:19 PM

Post #26 of 49 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Smile

Maybe you would wanna check out the "BARF Revisited" thread. After putting my dogs on BARF, their poo comes out nice and hard....and LESS. Easy to scoop and throw Tongue

DoggiePuppy

Feb 13, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #27 of 49 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I think u click reply on the wrong person's name already. My Zoe already recovered long time ago. Wink

I think you should repost on the right person's name so he could get the reply notice.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #28 of 49 (1317 views)
Shortcut

DoggiePuppy,

I think you misunderstood cshellz already. I believe what she was trying to tell you is to try out BARF as a long term practise as it will make the stool a bit harder then compared to kibble. Eventhough Zoe already recovered, eating 100% kibble will still produce softer stool and more stool. BARF will make Zoe poo less due to better digestion and harder so easier to clean.Smile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #29 of 49 (1317 views)
Shortcut

DoggiePuppy,

Well Purina is better than your earlier no-name repacks for sureTongue. Personally I myself use higher grade brand for my own dogs plus lots of BARF. However comparatively I think my dog runs more, jumps more and bites more than an average pet K-9 in Malaysia so I dont mind spending a bit more on getting a better source of food for them.Smile

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

DoggiePuppy

Feb 14, 2004, 1:31 AM

Post #30 of 49 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh ok, sorry. Well, for now Zoe's poo is hard and nice though. And she only poo on newspaper on a designated area so its very easy to clean, I just need to wrap it up and throw it out. She's a house dog and she doesn't go out. Its the pee that is harder to clean cause it'll flow here and there when I pick up the newspaper, but so far no prob ler. Wink

Problem now is I am teaching her hand, maybe my method is wrong...I not sure...I got the method from various online site all give same advice. Maybe she's a little stubborn and need more time.

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 14, 2004, 5:10 PM

Post #31 of 49 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

Thanks for explaining on my behalf Smile and yes, that's exactly what I meant. I've been really happy with the BARF results...i think every dog owner regardless of whether they can accept the practise or not, SHOULD know about it Tongue

But lately kurang already la....takut they kena bird flu...hehehe... So now just kibbles and sometimes with oats & honey but still with green apples/guava. no BAR just normal F for now Tongue

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 15, 2004, 8:02 AM

Post #32 of 49 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Hi, great job on the toilet training. Will a shallow tray help to prevent the pee from flowing everywhere when you remove the newspaper? You can get a shallow plastic one just slightly wider than the newspaper. Best regards, J

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 15, 2004, 8:19 AM

Post #33 of 49 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bern_lee] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, when my puppies have loose stool, I will first of all see if it is caused by a tummy upset. Maybe caused by eating something bad picked up during walks, drinking from puddles, dirty water dispenser, a change of diet or even just plain sick. Any persistent diarroea will need attention from a vet. If they are not unwell, the loose stool is a passing occurance and I assume it is a lifestyle thing, I will just reduce their food intake by about 20% and give them a whole raw carrot to chew after dinner. That normally does the trick in 24 hours. Best regards,J

DoggiePuppy

Feb 16, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #34 of 49 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

it will actually, but i fear it may take her time again to relearn cause of a weird surface condition. Since its not very very strong yet I rather let her be strong in this first before i modify. What i do for the pee now is put extra layer of newspaper under lor. I am running out of newspaper cause she seem to pee a lot cause she drinks a lot...who wanna volunteer newspaper???

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 16, 2004, 9:47 PM

Post #35 of 49 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I meant putting the newspapers on the tray. If the tray is quite shallow and below the newspaper, it shouldn't distract your baby. As far as she is concerned, she still sees the newspaper and feels the same newspaper below her feet when she does her duty. Get more newspapers from relatives, friends and neighbours. I almost took over the old newspaper market around my place, hahaha. Good luck, J

DoggiePuppy

Feb 17, 2004, 12:01 AM

Post #36 of 49 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkDon't worry I know exactly what you mean. Yea I think i better start getting newspaper from the neighbourhood too!!!

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 9:21 PM

Post #37 of 49 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for explaining on my behalf Smile and yes, that's exactly what I meant. I've been really happy with the BARF results...i think every dog owner regardless of whether they can accept the practise or not, SHOULD know about it Tongue

But lately kurang already la....takut they kena bird flu...hehehe... So now just kibbles and sometimes with oats & honey but still with green apples/guava. no BAR just normal F for now Tongue

Michelle,

Glad that you are BARFing crazy too...lol...Tongue. When I first wrote about BARF intro really I didnt expect it to catch fire this fast....hahahah. Now seams I have to compete with alot of dogs owners to get my regular supplies of bones. Just the other day my regular wet market supplier told me that chicken necks and feet was really in high demands. If not for the Avian Flu I think the price would have gone flying up.

Anyway, you can always go lamb, beef and pork. In fact it is better to give them variety of bones and protein source to take advantage of the wider spread. It needent stop actually. A little pricier but if its good why not?Smile

BTW, I'm not too sure of oats as it is grain based. Dogs does not do too well on grains. I guess a little wouldnt hurt. U can also try mashed up pumpkin mixed with meat and blended veg/fruits plus a tiny bit of acv.

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 9:26 PM

Post #38 of 49 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy, Jay] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkDon't worry I know exactly what you mean. Yea I think i better start getting newspaper from the neighbourhood too!!!

Why not train them on cloth. They are absorbent, doesnt mess, wouldnt wet the dogs feet, can be recyclable and always leaves a bit of scent for easy training reliability. The dog never miss a piss Tongue

PSD

DoggiePuppy

Feb 19, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #39 of 49 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Huh? Cloth?? Never thought of it and I don't really think my mum would agree to it. Cause I know she would tell me its easier if its on newspaper, after poo just dispose. Plus now Zoe also quite good with papers already so don't want to change her habit also. I used to haf lots of newspaper actually last time but all sold off to old newspaper cause last time no dog and its filling up the whole room. Next time I think I can stop the old newspaper man and buy from him instead?? Hahaha...he'll think I am nuts!

caprice2
Novice

Feb 20, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #40 of 49 (1267 views)
Shortcut

hi there Smile,

thanks for the info... but not sure whether my 1yr 2mths Jojo is facing the same problem... wet stool due to his diet.

For the last 2mths i switch to this brand "SPW - Natural" upon recommendation from a petshop i normally go, from Science's Diet. Since then the stool start to get darker & black in color & the texture is a little bit rough.

I'm not sure whether this is normal but didn't take it seriously 'cause there's no change to his behaviour until the last 3 days. His stool start to get soggy & wet. He don't want to eat his meal... i give him 2 meals a day (morning & evening). This morning, i noticed a small patch of yellowish vomit next to his eating bowl but thers's no change to his behavior... hyper-active. I'm really puzzle, whether to rush him to the vet or play the waiting game.

I really appreciate ur advise. thankx. Unimpressed

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 9:03 AM

Post #41 of 49 (1262 views)
Shortcut

hi PSD Smile

I nearly missed your reply. hehe..

I still have some supplies of chicken necks & feet...I stocked some up cause I read before that freezing the raw stuff for nearly a month can help to kill 20-25 percent of micro organisms. And since Sparkle won't touch the stuff that has been dipped into ACV, I tot i might as well give freezing a shot Wink So now with two dogs have to 'han han tei' use la...Smile I read that Chicken Wings are good for BARF diets as well so there goes my mum's supply of wings too...haha. Smart chicken sellers should target the dog lovers industry and save all the necks/feet/carcass for the dog lovers and throw in some meat as gifts Wink

I've added just a bit of pork to their diet now. Dare not put too much cause I'm not sure how clean raw pork is and is pork ribs ok for them? Scruffy's only about 5-6 months old. Now slowly introducing blended carrots with their food. Before this I only gave the pulp from green apples (leftovers from our apple juice).

Btw, for lamb bones which part do u recommend? You think I should blend the bones with the meat or let them gnaw at the bones? Sparkle should be ok but Scruffy still have puppy teeth. Beef is banned in my house...apparently my mum thinks that our religious beliefs should apply to our dogs too since they are part of the family or she just doesn't want any beef products at home Laugh

Yeah, am aware that grain based products might cause bloating for dogs so I'm quite careful to use only very little Quaker Oats. I cook it with eggs just before I give it to them, add honey to it. Only once in awhile and they love it. Noticed no bloat/additional poop/flatulence so I think they can take little amounts of it.

I will try pumpkin out...have read that it's good but never got around to buying it. Btw, how did you get your dogs to accept ACV? I tried adding to water...kena boycott. Add half a teaspoon to apple pulp...kena boycott also. Added half teaspoon to raw chicken necks...boycott also. It's the smell la...even when I add some to the drinking bowl the whole place literally smells of real barf. *eww*

Ps Sparkle (my 1 year old Jap Spitz) is suffering from Mange round #2. So i took him off kibbles and the occasional canned food...now on BARF completely. Any recommendations for raw food that might help with mange?

Thanks! Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 8:31 PM

Post #42 of 49 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [caprice2] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Caprice2,

It is hard to say but if it is diet related then normal switch of brand should be done with mixtures of old and new brand kibble together rather than direct transfer to new brand. I would not worry too much about the color or coarseness but vomit and dirrhea is another thing altogether.

Try reducing or total cut off food for a day and see if that improves the stool. Then start the kibble mix slowly again. Just buy a small packet of your old brand and mix them with your new brand. It should help. But if you notice the persistent lose stool then perhaps other brands is called for.

When shopping for kibbles, not only the lables are important but it must fit your dog. Some good for one may not be fitting another. this is a known fact. Good Luck.

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 24, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #43 of 49 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Michelle,

I had just recently got an adult dog whom was on 100% kibble for almost 2 years and was having trouble with BARFing even refuse to take lamb or beef or pork even when I minced them. When I mixed those minced meat with kibbles she will find and singly picked up all the kibbles and leave the meat alone. Crazy

As I do also need to do some cross training with this dog, all I did was to put her on a diet of hotdogs from my hand which she initially wasnt that much interested but after 2 weeks of eat from the hand or nothing, BARF surprisingly was then never a problem at all. Now she became a real glutton for BARF be it "pai Kuat", beef, lamb ribs u name it.

I guess the survival instinct overulled the preferential instinct for her and now that she is on BARF, she finally decided BARF is so much better after all....lolSmile I guess, not many people knows how to effectively tap in on the survival instinct of a dog. When it comes to that, dogs can be convinced to give it a try, be it change of diet, addition of acv or anything else for that matter. If they boycot u then u in turn boycot them for that day and try again tomorrow. All I did was put a drop of ACV in their drinking water and let them decide if they want to drink it......all drank it after a day or two. Then after 1 week, I add 2 drops and soon enough they will be immuned to the smell. Anyway, this is in the case u want to insist on them eating acv otherwise just omit the acv since it is not a big must for them to take acv. The choice is more yours.

lamb ribs should work and those with meats on it is best to keep them gnawing for it and cleaning the tooth in the process. If the dog after wiping clean the meats and leaves just the bones then dont worry and just dispose of the bones. For smaller dogs and younger dogs lamb ribs can be a bit too hard for them. Young dogs before the age of 8 months is better on softer bones like chicken or soft cartilage pork bones but no bones during teething periods.

PSD

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 25, 2004, 12:48 AM

Post #44 of 49 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

Gotcha Smile This is more like training myself first then them. Have to train myself not to get soft hearted if they don't drink/eat. Hotdogs...u mean sausages? Is that ok for them? Always thought it was too salty. But I'm very sure that's a good bait!! haha

Yeah, gave up giving ACV to both of them. It's used as a wash for Sparkle's skin instead.

Btw, what do u do with dogs who don't respond to any treats? I train my dogs without treats now cause they do not like any form of treats...puppy drumsticks, doggman, beggin strips...they push it away with their noses ok! Talk about being spoilt. I end up giving away all the treats. The only thing they eat from the hand is table scraps or whatever they see you munching. My bf tried taking a piece of their biscuit and pretended to enjoy it...think *yummm* *chomp* *chomp* and those two (maybe out of peer pressure) actually took the biscuit treat. And would only take it if my bf does that. Is this a behavioral problem? Unsure

Assuming I use chicken necks as treats for them to teach them tricks. Is it a good idea to use the same source of food for treats & meals? Afraid it might turn to a bad habit and won't eat from their bowls and only expect me to feed them from hand.

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 28, 2004, 12:19 AM

Post #45 of 49 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I meant sausages. I use them quite often in training....note the word in training it is not to be used as a staple food. Also whenever u use training treets, just make sure to reduce also the normal portion of the normal feed to compensate. The least we want is for the doggies to be over weight and cause loads of other health problems. Sausages are one of my fav cause it is long which is easy to hold during training, it can be cut into coin shapes for different training application and it is soft negating any need to chew at it. Liver blended into patty and baked then cut into strips works excellently too and very cheap to make.

If we want to chose any treets for training it must be soft and the dog can eat it in one gulp without chewing. Sadly to say, till today I cannot find any commercial treet any good to my liking. They are either too hard(jerky and such) or mouldy and too messy(cheese) plus they are so damn expensive.Crazy

To get a dog that you can "showoff" to people Tongue, on how reliable or cleaver or cute n neat actions, we as the owners must be prepared to be firm n fair. This may mean control your heartache too as well as emotions. Of course I dont mean it to be barbaric, feudalistic nor dictatorship in your approach, but just a simple word of being fair. Reward when its positive, ignore when its negative. Remember that to a dog, whatever behaviour be it positive or negative will keep repeating itself if it was reinforced and the same can be said that a behaviour which is not reinforced (ignored) will dissapear. So in other words if your dog is excellent today, you must claim the prize for it for a job well done. However, if the dogs ended up as the hound from hell..................then the owners are the ones to shoot....PirateTongue

Back to the treets, dogs are better students when they are hungry. This means all training sessions should be before their meal. Dont waste any time to train after meal, it is not healthy to train after meal anyway. Very little percentage of dogs knows how to eat from the hand if conditioning is not done. If you want to train with treets then teach them how to eat from hands first until they willingly push your hands to get the treet in an enclosed palm. My doggies all want to eat my hands for the treets and this tells me it is time to start my 1st lesson with the dog.

Why food is the prefered mode for training is because, using food is motivational and fulfilling for the dog. If we could not train the dog with food, the other 2 option is to either use a toy or by force. Using toys although are great energiser....they are great energy sapper as well meaning u can only go very short session before the dog gets too tired for any more lesson. As for the force method means choke chains yanking and pushing which I dont want to touch more.

Feeding time can be great training time. To share with you rather than put the beef or lamb or chicken all into the bowl for the feeding time, I use those pieces one by one as a training session for excercises like send away, come, sit then food, down then food...as much as your imagination can take you. This way u dont waste time and meal time becomes your precious learning time. So why not?

When a dog is hungry they will eat whatever is handed out or in his bowl. Dont worry about that. If you are having the problem of him not eating from the bowl and assuming he is not having any health problem, then that just tells u he is not that hungryTongue Maybe a day of fast is good for his detox anyway....lol

Ooops......I think I wrote too much already......Blush

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Feb 28, 2004, 12:26 AM)

caprice2
Novice

Feb 29, 2004, 12:31 PM

Post #46 of 49 (1235 views)
Shortcut

PSD,

Thanks for the advised.

I'm going for BARF now. I started giving my Jojo chicken necks & wings twice a day. The first 2 days I only fed him once a day. Started to noticed that his stool is smaller in size & qty and less smelly.

Anyway, does feeding him only raw meat is sufficient? I'm thinking of giving him a Vit. C for children as an additional supplement but not sure whether it is safe. I read from an article recently that it is good for reducing stain.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #47 of 49 (1232 views)
Shortcut

caprice2,

Raw meat is definatly not adequate for the wellbeing of a dog. Do not misunderstand BARF to be raw meat alone. Good BARF involves meat, bones, fruits, vegetables, essential oils and some supplies of vits n minerals. Good sources are chicken, lamb, beef, pork, leafy vegetables, guavas, apples, tomatoes, carots, flaxseed, kelps, fish meat with skin etc...etc. All BARFers are encouraged to have multiple sources of meats and not just use say...chicken day in day out to ensure wider spectrum of nutrients. If time is a factor then perhaps can use supliments like Nupro which is like all in one nutrients made easy.

I would not be feeding the vit C. if I were u. They are not safe for dogs.

PSD

caprice2
Novice

Mar 2, 2004, 6:01 PM

Post #48 of 49 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD, Smile

All this while I only thought BARF is about raw bones & meat. Thanks for the brief but very helpful tips.

Anyway, I'm really confuse on the vit c thing. Pls check out this site, http://www.fix.net/...e-stain-article.html

Thanks.

PSD
ALPHA

Mar 2, 2004, 8:04 PM

Post #49 of 49 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Caprice2,

Actually there had been quite a number of inconclusive studies done on both sides on the use of vit C in dogs. It is widely used and is helpful in CHD(canine Hips Dysplasia) and claimed to be damaging to the livers in the event of overdosages. For me, personally I dont see the need for the suplimentation of Vit C if you BARF with fresh fruits n veg mixtures.

For easy reference you can also see this site for info

http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/013.html

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my