Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Wet stool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoggiePuppy

Feb 5, 2004, 8:29 PM

Post #1 of 49 (2432 views)
Shortcut
Wet stool Can't Post

Zoe's stool was ok the last few days and its getting wetter and wetter. Today it was like dirrhoea like that very wattery there's no shape in the stool already. At first i called up the vet the vet told me the deworming medicine she gave may have effect like this on the stool but its been 3 days already the stool still haven't harden. Is there anything wrong or can anyone give me the possibilities of the condition. She's overall happy and active but her stool is wattery and I suspect even the urine is quite yellow. Hope to get some info here before i contact the vet again.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 5, 2004, 9:14 PM

Post #2 of 49 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DoggiePuppy] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Can be the deworming medication ...

Try this ... partially fast the pup for a day ... just water & some dry kibble ... maybe just 1/2 what you would normally give ... then observe and see what happens ...

By the way ... what do you normally feed the pup, how much & how many times a day?

Cheers Smile

DoggiePuppy

Feb 6, 2004, 12:54 AM

Post #3 of 49 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Only feed dry kibbles. Was recommended by the pet shop, don't have manufacturer packing cause they say they pack it up themself so there was no brand recognition. I called up the vet today, and she ask me whether if the pup is still active and eating I told her yes, so she said then its nothing to be worry about yet unless she do her business every 2 hours. I'll obeserve her till next monday to see if condition is ok? Hopefully its just the deworming thing. If not I might change her dry kibble, scared not suitable for her. Could different dry kibbles cause it?? Is there a possibility? That pet shop told me that the food is suppose to help her stool to not be so smelly but I don't see any diff, plus now she's having wet stool. I'll post again soon to see if her condition improves!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 6, 2004, 1:22 AM

Post #4 of 49 (2419 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

It may be just the deworming ... but just in case ... try the partial fasting for day or two ... Reducing food intake gives the puppy a chance to get its stomach in order ... gives the puppy's stomach a chance to rest and to clear out any "bad" stuff inside ...

I would be very apprehensive about feeding any kind of kibble that does not come in its original packing for various reasons: (a) We don't know the expiry date ... (b) We don't know where the kibble comes from, or who is responsible if something goes wrong ... (c) Most important, we have no idea what is inside the kibble, and we have no idea whatsoever what the ingredients are... we have no idea what has been used as preservatives (some people are not adverse to using cheap preservatives that are actually harmful to dogs)

Basically, without packing, we have no information on the kibble ... and anything can be in the kibble ... and that can be dangerous ...

I will definately change to a good brand of kibble ... Check the forum threads for suggestions ...

Consider feeding freshly prepared food or perhaps at least supplement your kibble with fresh foods ... That will make a great difference. You can check the threads ... lots of advice & suggestions.

Finally, as you posted ... observe your pup ... if the stools remain soft after the partial fast ... then maybe good idea to take her in for a quick check up ...

CheersSmile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 6, 2004, 1:24 AM)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 6, 2004, 3:37 AM

Post #5 of 49 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Hey thanks, I felt like getting her a new kibble tommorow. That's what I thought also about kibbles that has no packaging. But my parents went bought it when they got the cage. The pet store owner recommends it when my mum wanted to buy another, said it was good. Well I guess they know we're first time owner by seeing us buying the cage and so they pushed anything to us. That is why I feel very afraid buying stuff out there sometimes, they recommend and give some sort of scientific stories that sound so good and real and don't know what's next. We'll see what happen. I am reducing her amount of kibbles now supplementing it with her snacks. Maybe getting a little carrot for her also tommorow cause I read from this thread that carrots are ok for doggies. Will keep this forum updated!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 6, 2004, 5:14 AM

Post #6 of 49 (2409 views)
Shortcut

Hi hi ...

Errr ... partial fasting means less food ... Smile ... don't supplement with snacks or treats ... just let your puppy's stomach get a little rest ... Less food for a couple of days will not do your puppy any harm ...

Getting a good brand of kibble tomorrow sounds like a good idea ... Smile ...

And yes, sometimes people will do anything to make profit ... so do be a little careful ... the best way is to research, read and learn as much as you can ... about as much as you can ...

If you wish to give carrot to a pup, suggest you either (i) boil the carrot until soft ... or (ii) chop carrots into really small pieces ... or (iii) blend the carrots into a puree and add to the kibble ... This will help with digestion ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 6, 2004, 5:16 AM)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 6, 2004, 5:19 AM

Post #7 of 49 (2405 views)
Shortcut

Oh ok...heheh...less food then. Sorry I misunderstood.

Carrot mixing can help digestion?? Wow, that's great!! I am looking forward to see what's her response tmrw!!! Thanks so much!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 6, 2004, 6:51 AM

Post #8 of 49 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Sorry ... what I meant was ... boiling the carrots till soft or blending the carrots will help your puppy digest the carrots ... Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 6, 2004, 7:16 PM

Post #9 of 49 (2388 views)
Shortcut

DoggiePuppy,

Try to calm down and take a breether. I can see you are pretty anxious and panicky. Your problem of wet stool and and vomit in another thread seams related. I can suspect only 2 reason for that.
  1. The Rawhide
  2. The re-pack kibble of poor quality (could be contaminated as well)

If I were you, I would not give any carrots now as it will worsen the stool condition at this moment. You can give carrots in method as suggested by surchinmy when your pup is back to normal but now is not the best time.

Totally fast your puppy for a day or two. Meaning no food at all. Make sure water is always there and add a small pinch of salt to the water (Got this advise from a good friend in UK) Then start with a quality kibble 1/3 of the normal ration when no more watery stool for 1 day (18-24hrs) slowly build it up bit by bit to reach its normal portion.

Hope this helps.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 6, 2004, 8:50 PM

Post #10 of 49 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa so long?? Won't she starve?? She's a puppy I am scared she can't take it for so long. Yea I am going to go get some good quality kibbles today!!! Don't want her to take chances!

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 6, 2004, 8:57 PM

Post #11 of 49 (2382 views)
Shortcut

at least 1 day fast then. Dont worry, 1 day is ok. Just make sure endless supply of water.

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

(This post was edited by PSD on Feb 6, 2004, 9:00 PM)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #12 of 49 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Zoe's stool is back to normal. Seems to not be the food problem. It is her deworming effect. She still continues her food now and she's stiill happy. Prob is when she play she's almost uncontrollable sometimes, running like mad. Sometimes I don't know if that's a discipline problem or just plain puppy.

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 8, 2004, 9:27 PM

Post #13 of 49 (2357 views)
Shortcut

take it from me......its plain puppy.

Good to hear about the stool. Consider better food instead of those El-Cheapo repacks.Tongue Better on the long run.

PSD

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 9:35 PM

Post #14 of 49 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, I am taking your advice!! I bought a book on dog training yesterday but the method doesn't seem to be very very helpful and it cost me 70bucks. But nvm, I guess its trial and error!

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 8, 2004, 10:01 PM

Post #15 of 49 (2353 views)
Shortcut

What is the title of the book and by which author? Remember there are good books as there are great books....... beware as there are books that beginers should avoid at all cost. The one that teach you how to beat and strangle your dogs and trains them to fear youPirate

Those are ancient and outdated practise.

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Feb 8, 2004, 10:02 PM)

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 7:37 AM

Post #16 of 49 (2339 views)
Shortcut

OH don't worry, the book did stress on no whacking and even no shouting at dogs cause they hear well enough. Just that I felt the book made teaching look so easy but fact is my pup behaviour is not as predicted by the book.

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 7:16 PM

Post #17 of 49 (2336 views)
Shortcut

Ermm! you still didnt mention the name of the book and the author. Some of the people here can then tell you their opinion and experience on that book. Otherwise being new to dog training, you will not be very successful in guaging the book that you have bought.Tongue

PSD

DoggiePuppy

Feb 10, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #18 of 49 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Oh sorry, pls accept my apology. I was too hasty and forgot that question. The author is Jacqui O'Brien and the name of the book is `Train Your Dog'. Do you need more info? Well the book has a errmmm....a puppy picture outside, it has a fill in progress chart inside. Hard cover, purplish in background. It said suitable for puppies and older dogs. Hope to get some review here.

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 10, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #19 of 49 (2327 views)
Shortcut

Personally I have not read that book but I did search for some reviews on it. It is good that its based on motivation methods. You should spend more time in reading the foundation part and try not to go too fast. A good foundation will always be valuable in a stable dog otherwise your whole training will collapse if you skip steps. Following it earnestly I think your dog will proceed well.

FYI RM70 for a hardcover book is cheap. Buying from the net is more expensive that that.

PSD

DoggiePuppy

Feb 11, 2004, 12:31 AM

Post #20 of 49 (2325 views)
Shortcut

REALLY!!!! Laugh So glad to hear that!!!

I will wholeheartedly put more attention to it!!! Thanks !

bern_lee
Novice

Feb 12, 2004, 11:58 PM

Post #21 of 49 (2304 views)
Shortcut

I got a 4mths old Rott. Last 2 days her stool is wet & sometimes watery. It just happened. Not b'coz of deworm. But my neighbour said that she ate her own stool. I know dogs sometimes do that but I don't know why. Do u think is b'coz of that she's having watery stool? What should I do? Just follow what PSD said. Anyone?

DoggiePuppy

Feb 13, 2004, 12:09 AM

Post #22 of 49 (2303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bern_lee] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

When you said its not cause of deworm do you mean that you haven't gave her any deworming medication yet? Well I don't know bout the eat own stool. Zoe don't eat her own stool, I throw it away for her everytime after she do her business, I don't let it lay around not healthy both for humans and dogs I feel.

Since Zoe has recovered from her wet stool condition, I might as well tell you this, it ook her a few days, I think about 3-4 days if I wasn't mistaken for her stool to slowly turn back to normal. The structure can be seen slowly getting drier each day. You can wait a little while. I didn't really fast Zoe, cause heart ache to see a puppy not eating but I reduce her intake throughout the day which means three meals I sometimes cut to 2 meals and less portion each to see if there's improvement. I bought her new food already anyway cause the old ones are finished.

Keep us updated lor hor??

DoggiePuppy

Feb 13, 2004, 12:14 AM

Post #23 of 49 (2300 views)
Shortcut

Hey PSD!!

I got her new food today cause the old food is finished!!

The brand is Purina, its for puppies growth and development so called, that's what written on the package. And they also wrote with fish oil(omega fatty acids;for skins) and all these. You know about it? I asked someone, a doctor I went cause I wasn't feeling well, so he mentioned he has 10 dogs at home and all are healthy and joining competition and he said one of the food his dogs ate is Purina brand. So I assumed its good and got it.

Hope to get some input from you whether this brand is ok or not?

bern_lee
Novice

Feb 13, 2004, 12:19 AM

Post #24 of 49 (2300 views)
Shortcut

The breeder said she got all the 3 jabs (i dun know which 3 jabs). Deworm shld be done when she's 6mths old. That's what the breeeder said also. I try take her out so that she can eat some grass to cure her. But she din eat any. She's active as usual.

DoggiePuppy

Feb 13, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #25 of 49 (2296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bern_lee] Wet stool [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!

Well I am not sure whether my vet is a good vet or not but the skin medication, ear wax advice and also the stool advice she gave does work. Zoe's skin is better already, I can see a little improvement now, her ear is no longer very smelly and the stool, this is what the vet tells me, she asked did Zoe poo every two hour and those poo's are wet? If not, I must still give her some time to see if its really something wrong cause she said the deworming could have such effect. So did your doggie face the same thing? Secondly, the vet ask me to not give her any oily food also, that time she even asked me to stop the fish oil she gave me to feed her for her skin cause she said it could be one reason for wet stool. And now she's fine and I am glad. Don't know if I can help more, since you're online, you have any chat agent? My ICQ is 6795565 and msn you can find me at whereslifeinme@hotmail.com then we can also help each other real time.

See ya around. Hope your doggie is fine!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my