Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM

garys
Novice

Feb 5, 2004, 6:36 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2683 views)
Shortcut
DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM Can't Post

I'M NOT SURE WHETHER I HAVE SCARED MY MINPIN. HE WAS MAKING A LOT OF NOISE AND GOT DISCIPLINE BY ME. EVERYTIME HE SEES ME, HE WILL RUN AWAY FROM ME. IF HE IS IN THE CRATE, HE WILL SHOW LIE DOWN WITH HIS LOWER ABDOMEN FACING ME (SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF SUBMISSIVE BEHAVIOUR.
I NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. HE DESTROYS MY WHOLE GARDEN (BITING NEWSPAPER, BITING SHOES ETC). CAN ANYONE HELP ADVISE?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 5, 2004, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garys] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Shouting is not going to make things better ...

Have you noticed that not many members have responded to your more recent postings?

... Well, I don't think it's because members don't read your postings ... I believe members have decided not to respond ...

And the question is ... have you figured out why?

When members contributed to one of your earlier posting and provided their suggestions ... Did you follow up and inform members who responded, what you have done to try and improve your situation? ... Errr ... Did you even bother to thank members who took time to respond?

You have in your other postings expressed your desire to go for the cheapest options ... first, you want a protection dog and then you call your friend's GSD stupid (and in doing so, show most clearly your complete lack of appreciateion & understanding of dogs) ... then you wish to choose the cheapest vaccination option (ignoring your own inexperience) ...

You then complain and express frustration at your dog (but have you ever examined your training methods, do you have a training method? ... Have you tried to understand what a dog is all about? Or are you relying on replays of Lassie?) ... and finally, you threatened to give your dog away ...

Just in case you haven't noticed - this is a dog forum, posting what you have isn't exactly going to endear you to people who frequent this forum and love dogs.

In answer to your question ... YES ... very probably, your dog is showing submissive behaviour ... and I suspect that your dog's excessive submissive behaviour is caused by you ... And NO, there is no quick answer or remedy to the situation you are facing ... It requires a true commitment on your part to the dog you have decided to bring into your home.

Whether you realise it or not, your description of your dog's behaviour gives me a good ideal of what kind of dog owner you are ... and how you may have been treating and rearing your dog ... Unsure ... I suspect your dog's problem is you.

I wish to help your dog (and I am sure other members feel the same way) ... but there is nothing we can do until and unless you are ready to see what is happening and prepared to change your attitude and approach ...

Tell us ... that you love your dog and that you are prepared to be patient and spend time with your dog ... and we will do what we can to help ... otherwise, nothing we say will make any difference.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 5, 2004, 7:20 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Yes,
not sure how you "discipline" your min pin,
but sure that's not a positive way to train/teach/correct your dog's behavior.

if you don't want your dog to "destroy" your garden, then don't let him run loose in garden, you the one who let him free out there so that's the consequences. try to introduce him the beautiful garden slowly.... leash him, walk him in the garden, when he's used to the environment and not getting too excited being exposed to the outdoor, then try unleash him but under your supervision. When he tries to bite on plants, stop him with firm command and voice, correct him and bring him away from the place. So , he would associate after biting plants, he can no longer stay in the garden. But if he destroy nothing, praise him, play with him in the garden. when he's playing happily with you, you think he would care to btie on those unmovable plants??Tongue

biting your shoes.....
well~ why would you let ur dog access to your shoes?? you should keep your shoes on the shoe rack that he cant reach them. Or , keep inside shoe drawer. When he's still a pup, he has teething period. He would try all ways to bite bite bite.
You should get him some chewable stuffs for teething. if you keep letting him has the chance to bite on your shoes and don't correct him NOW, he will build up th habits of biting shoes and carry such bad habit to adulthood.

Don't hit the dog.
you should learn how to build up the bond and trust btw you and your dog since the day your brought him home.

- OWNER BEHAVIOR PROBLEM by .

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2004, 7:33 PM

Post #4 of 12 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Kakakaka..... when i was replying the posted questions, i thought i'm going to be the only ONE to respond here.Cool Just right after I hit the button, ah~ i saw your post and it said all in my mind too!!Cool

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 5, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Well ... I think his dog deserves at least as much consideration as his garden ... Smile

boon
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2004, 10:29 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SK, Mackie,

good one......couldn't find my self not to agree more with you.

If the dog misbehave, blame not the dog but the owner !!!

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 5, 2004, 11:04 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2657 views)
Shortcut

garys,

It's hard for me not to agree with what surchinmy have said. He does have very valid point there. I believe the last straw was the mention of you disciplining the dog until he turns submissive which is not something very wise to do. You seams to still trying to understand the finer point of dog owning but not seing much light I can understand. We all have our starting days in dogs and I was not as successful with my first dog as well. If you can then spend more time reading and deepening your knowledge on positive motivation methods. Then you will understand that using force especially on such a small dog like a minpin isnt at all necessary to achieve your goals.

The key to have a woderful pet is to first create a strong trust and bonding with your dog that he would look at no one else and only you and that he would devote his own very existance to only you, then you will be able to appreciate such a companion.

Training is not a rocket science and all are a matter of logic senses. If you associate you near the dog is pain and anguish then no dog want to be near you. But if instead you associate yourself near the dog and the dog can have great food from your hands, lovingly petted and nicely talked to in nicest voice, then everydog will compete for a chance to be by your side. Such is the way of nature's intention.

To therefore look at a dog as a companion, a friend and a family member will give you just that. If you instead look at the dog as a toy, a piece of sorry meat on four legs, a rodent......then you shall not be able to ask for more than what you are getting.

I hope you will become stronger in your resolve, take this critism positively and make it your resolution to learn more. Enroll in training classes and I'm sure you will move in the right direction together with your companion at your side smiling and looking up to you. Then share it with us your successes so that we may rejoice with you.

CheersSmile

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 8, 2004, 10:03 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Hi Garys,

You keep asking for advise in here but I don't see that you are taking it. Now, its not that we do not want to help but u keep repeating the problem to the whole lot of us here and when we did response, there doesn't seems like u take the advise at all.

Now,

1st thing - why did u want to own a dog ?
2nd - did it every cross ur mind that you have to be prepare to train ur dog before they will be a good obedient doggie ? and do remember that training takes time.
3rd - not all dogs is like lassie.
4th - Have u done any research on MinPin's temprement before getting ur pup ?
5th - How much time are you prepare to spend on taking care and training ur pup ?
6th - why are u still screaming at ur pup when we have given u loads of advise why u shd not ?
7th - what kind of training have u given to ur pup and how long did u train ur pup ?
8th - what do you know abt raising a pup ?
9th - have u done any reading abt raising / taking care of a pup or minpin ?
10th - what is it u want us to help u on ? advise we have given it all to u....

I think the last straw for me was when u have put on a post abt "selling" ur pup away. I guess if ur so impatience and dun have the time to train ur pup then i feel its the best u give / sell ur pup away. At least ur pup will have a better life with a better owner who will know how to train and take care of him.

sorry if u feel offended by this post reply.

cheers,
minglmy

DoggiePuppy

Feb 8, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Hahah...afraid of you?? Maybe you should do what I do and love the dog like you've never loved anyone before, errr but not too much like me cause my Zoe is too sticky and she does not need to be thought to `heel' she sticks by me wherever I walk, even if she's sleeping and she hears footstep she'll follow and once I constraint her from going where I go(like upstairs)she start with a little whinning. Not a very good thing I tell you! She becomes too over dependable to me. Scared next time she don't know how to take care of herself. Now only I slowly ignoring her if she wants to be pampered too much!

So yea, I think if you really wholeheartedly love your dog, he'll love you and accept you back easily. I feel dogs are very fragile animals and full of emotions. Once they love you, you will find that you have found a better love than you can find from any other human.
------------------------------------------------------------
<-----Looks like a cockroach from this picture!!

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 11, 2004, 8:52 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Garys,

I had noticed you have dissapeared suddenly. I hope we have not been too hard on you top the point of no return. I'm sure that if you calm yourself down rethink over again what you have done or not done and come back positively. Many good advices is still waiting for you here. It is the nature of human to make mistake.

CheersSmile

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

PSD
ALPHA

Feb 13, 2004, 11:59 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ming Yang, surchinmy, Mackie, Boon] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Guys and girls,

I guess we really scarred him off. Hopefully he took this to positively upgrade his own skills as a pet owner.Smile

PSD

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Feb 14, 2004, 4:04 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] DOG BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

oh dear,

yes i think we have... been watching this particular post for this past few days hoping he will be back. I hope n pray that the doggie will be ok. Feel like I have failed the minpin pup. Hope he will be ok.... he is a small tiny fella and its not his fault at all. Damn this sucks !
UnsureFrownUnsureFrown

cheers,
minglmy

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my